I have a Ramón Labayen soldier, still new in it's bag, and I'm hoping for identification (1 Viewer)

GABatGH

Registered Member
The soldier is facing inwards so all that is readily visible is the back. He absolutely cannot be flipped around to see the front (I've tried. Repeatedly. And I'm good at that...). The only identification is 32E and I haven't been able to find a reference to that. There's the post from Luis Esteban · Nov 28, 2016, and in the first pic there are three soldiers on the bottom left that this could be. Of course the names on the bases are cut off in the pic. Other than that photo I haven't seen the soldier anywhere else. I've been around rpg miniatures for almost fifty years and I'm impressed with the detail on this.

In the bag is: soldier, base, carabiner, bayonet, sword with sprue still attached, and a length of copper wire.

Anyone know who this is?

Full disclosure: the soldier is destined to go into an antique mall as soon as who it is and the approximate value is determined.

Thanks for any info! :D
1719949958218.png1719949967772.png1719949977301.png

If I could see what the hat/head looks like I maybe could ID this guy.
Any chance of a close up shot?
I can see in the instructions that there is an 'N' on the bugler's lace, so it must be Napoleonic.

John

Found it ...... in an on-line Labayen catalogue on Mirof's site..

Under the category of Series No3 'Troupes Francais de ligne 1800 - 1815'

32E is 'Carabiniers, cavalier, tenure de parade 1812'

Thefore he will have a white coat, brass helmet with red comb, brass cuirasse and buff belts edged in white.

When painted he should like the figure on the right shown below.

3stadfrcav.jpg

John

Awesome! Gold star for you :D

Edit: I just noticed that the figures in the pic have different bases than the one in my bag. My base is probably 8mm tall.

Labayen catalogue on Mirof's site
I haven't been able to find this catalogue. Looking around in here I found www.mirofsoft.com but that site is not working for me [in three different browsers in Windows 11].

Also, what is the copper piece for? It doesn't appear to be on the finished piece.

I haven't been able to find this catalogue. Looking around in here I found www.mirofsoft.com but that site is not working for me [in three different browsers in Windows 11].

Also, what is the copper piece for? It doesn't appear to be on the finished piece.
Glad to help and yes, it does seem Mirofsoft isn't working now, hopefully it is only to be a shot down time?

If you need the catalogue, I downloaded it and I can email you the .PDF. so send me a PM with your address.

I'd say that the copper strip is used for the belts to hang the scabbard.
Mine was already assembled, but it is what I do for castings that I assemble.

As far as the base goes, maybe the guy who assembled my casting wanted it to look like a Stadden figure and so used tinplate as a base?

John

Why not just open the bag? It won't impact the value or the price, unless you want to label it as unopened. But it'd make it a lot easier to tell.
As far as the value goes, or more specifically, the asking price, I'd say $10 if you want to move it quickly, maybe $20. It's going to be a painter who buys it.
Labayen was a significant maker of kit figures, but there aren't very many of us left who paint his figures. Today's connoisseur painters will likely not give it a second glance; it's not up to their standard for detail.

Prost!
Brad

Why not just open the bag?
It looks much better originally sealed when sitting in a case at an antique mall.

If you need the catalogue, ... I'd say that the copper strip is used for the belts to hang the scabbard.
Thanks for the offer of the catalogue, but it's not necessary. Having the hands the way they are, and the copper as a belt, certainly makes it easy to add a little bit of individuality to each piece.

Thanks to all for your help!

It looks much better originally sealed when sitting in a case at an antique mall.

I could open that bag and you'd never know it. Simply pry the staples open, then replace them when you've examined the contents. In this particular case, it's not going to impact the final sale price significantly.

If you could, please, let us know how it sells, eventually. I'm curious to know.

Prost!
Brad

...I'd say that the copper strip is used for the belts to hang the scabbard...
I agree, John. I have a couple Labayen kits of a Belling hussar from the Seven Years War. The Säbeltasche is sculpted and cast with the rings integral to the part. He intended that you cut the straps from the metal sheet. It does look better than a piece cast with the pouch and straps all in one piece. I have some Realmodel Prussian hussars circa 1910, with the pouch cast separately, without the rings or straps. I'm going to make the rings out of piece of fine wire, glue it to the pouch, cut straps from metal foil, then drill holes under the tunic to attach them.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back