ID for WW1 Cap Badge (1 Viewer)

Cornwallis

Sergeant
This fine fellow, is my great grandfather and this photo of him was only found very recently. I have always been told he was in the Signals but on googling their cap badge I am beginning to doubt this is correct.

Can any of you WW1 buffs id this cap badge?

Thanks

Attachments

• OG.jpg
    OG.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 90
  • CAP BADGE.jpg
    CAP BADGE.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 66
Just had a possible hit on google - Wiltshire Regiment, I cannot tell if it is a crown or plume of feathers above the cross on my GG cap though to be sure!

Attachments

• The%20Wiltshire%20Regiment%20Brass%20Cap%20Badge-Front.jpg
    The%20Wiltshire%20Regiment%20Brass%20Cap%20Badge-Front.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 51
I think you've found a match, M'Lud! I'd thought at first that the top of the badge was a crown of three feathers, similar to the Prince of Wales' badge, but I think it's a crown, on comparison.

Prost!
Brad

This fine fellow, is my great grandfather and this photo of him was only found very recently. I have always been told he was in the Signals but on googling their cap badge I am beginning to doubt this is correct.

Thanks

A grand photo indeed - you must be so pleased to have found it. Remember that the Royal Corps of Signals wasn't formed until 1920. Prior to that - "Signals" were provided at higher than unit level by The Royal Engineers. BUT remember that Regiments sometimes had their own trained Signallers (it was a qualification) - and these signallers worked in the signal companies of their respective Regiments.

Now that you appear to have established a Regiment for him, perhaps try a bit more research - maybe with Regimental records - and you may find that ( just maybe) he could possibly have been a Unit "Signaller"??? Johnnybach

Thanks
Cannot help you with the badge...and am not too sure about WW1 sigs.but in WW2 each Regiment had their own infantry trained sigs....Battalion HQ.....Company HQ,,,,platoons all operated with their own infantry soldiers trained as sigs.......the sigs besides having to carry all their normal combat equipt also had the extra weight of their radio and battery ...early radio' were voice and line of sight and bloody useless a lot of the time's....once morse was introduced it overcame much of the problems.....the old radio's were bulky and heavy and not always reliable...modern radio's are much lighter and I imagine a lot more reliable.....cheers TomB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back