"In The Land of Cotton" (1 Viewer)

Hope they have their passes if the "paddy rollers" stop them.

Hi Randy,

Once again, you have posted a most interesting and thought provoking photograph. I especially enjoy your use of the Hocker figures in your photographic work. Your use of the figures with the interesting backdrop clearly communicate a common, yet significant, moment of times past. Thank you for providing us with what I consider a remarkable scene. I am really enjoying it!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

My comment was more historical than on the charm of the set up. If I collected the Hocker figures I'd get the CW era series. The slavery themed sets have a great potential for commentary.

Please keep posting photos of your collection!

My comment was more historical than on the charm of the set up. If I collected the Hocker figures I'd get the CW era series. The slavery themed sets have a great potential for commentary.

Please keep posting photos of your collection!

Scott

I appreciate the reference to the Paddy Rollers and any other ACW info you care to offer. I totally love these sets. Here are 2 larger photos of sets I plan to add down the road. Bill's sets have stirred my interest in this era.

Randy

Attachments

• 321(3)Sm.jpg
    321(3)Sm.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 347(3)Sm.jpg
    347(3)Sm.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 146
The kicker is that one could repaint these figures with MORE detail but destroying the collect-ability.

One might say that the auction set trivializes slavery but the simple figures say it all. One criticism I've gotten as collector in the past is that if I collect German WW II or Confederates or such, I agree or identify with the politics or love war. Nonsense!

The kicker is that one could repaint these figures with MORE detail but destroying the collect-ability.

One might say that the auction set trivializes slavery but the simple figures say it all. One criticism I've gotten as collector in the past is that if I collect German WW II or Confederates or such, I agree or identify with the politics or love war. Nonsense!

I plan to buy the Abolitionist set and the Union Recruitment Parade. Unfortunately Bill does not have larger photos of them. Set 372 can be ordered as the 54th Mass and Col. Shaw which I will likely ask Bill to do. It is a shame that for more realistic matte collectors that other companies do not tackle these subjects. The Abolitionist set includes Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman and John Brown figures.

Attachments

• 322.gif
    322.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 326.gif
    326.gif
    34.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 372.gif
    372.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 149
Maybe they deem it too controversial Randy. Everyone likes to make figures depicting the battles in the war but how many want to make sets that depict what led to war, the causes that ripped the country apart (the "fire bell in the night" that filled Thomas Jefferson with "terror," which he saw as the "knell of the Union") or the reality of a slave market. Very few I expect. Actually only one that I know of.

To me it's exactly this kind of different imaginative sets that make Hocker's toy soldiers so attractive.

Paulo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back