I've started collecting the Colonial Collection (1 Viewer)

Builtrite

Corporal
I picked up 2 of the Japanese sets after Christmas after seeing EOI Colonial Collection come out a few years ago. I reorganized my curio cabinets and freed up a shelf. Sold off 20-30 sets of old Britains sets by Eartl that were packed away. Mixed in some FOV, 32x, Pickelhaube sets and JS Dietz sets. Next thing I know...I have bought 5 sets from Hobby Bunker(in the case) & 3 more on the way(boxers)... A backorder with MTSC(Nordenfelt gun) and now an order with Sierra Toy Soldiers(if it is truely in stock)...Here are some not so good shots of the sets so far...I will post more as the sets continue to arrive...

Attachments

• IMG_3845.JPG
    IMG_3845.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,074
  • IMG_3847.JPG
    IMG_3847.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 911
I picked up 2 of the Japanese sets after Christmas after seeing EOI Colonial Collection come out a few years ago. I reorganized my curio cabinets and freed up a shelf. Sold off 20-30 sets of old Britains sets by Eartl that were packed away. Mixed in some FOV, 32x, Pickelhaube sets and JS Dietz sets. Next thing I know...I have bought 5 sets from Hobby Bunker(in the case) & 3 more on the way(boxers)... A backorder with MTSC(Nordenfelt gun) and now an order with Sierra Toy Soldiers(if it is truely in stock)...Here are some not so good shots of the sets so far...I will post more as the sets continue to arrive...

What a fantastic collection Brent.
The Boxer Rebellion and Colonial Collection are definitely next up on my radar of wonderful East of India figures to collect - once I finish off my Greek Phalanx and build up my Samurai forces.

Regards
Harry

What a fantastic collection Brent.
The Boxer Rebellion and Colonial Collection are definitely next up on my radar of wonderful East of India figures to collect - once I finish off my Greek Phalanx and build up my Samurai forces.

Regards
Harry

Harry have you ever seen the Edo clan by Monarch Regalia?

Harry have you ever seen the Edo clan by Monarch Regalia?

Yes - I have KV.
The answer to your next question is;
"No I have no intention of collecting them".
I'm aware that a lot of people have enormous affection for Monarch's Samurai figures. No disrespect meant whatsoever, but I'm not one of them.
Personally, I'm simply mesmerised whenever I look at the East of India Samurai/Greeks&Persian figures we already have - and the Boxer Rebellion/Colonial Collection/Roman figures we're planning on adding to our collection over the next several years.
:)

Regards
Harry

Okay...My first set of pictures were awful. I took some more pictures. This time, we have some Boxers attacking...

Attachments

• IMG_4017.JPG
    IMG_4017.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_4019.JPG
    IMG_4019.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4020.JPG
    IMG_4020.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_4023.JPG
    IMG_4023.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 489
Here are 2 more pics...

Attachments

• IMG_4024.JPG
    IMG_4024.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_4025.JPG
    IMG_4025.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 434
Here are 2 more pics...

I know its an old "trick" but apart from the figures - which are quite SUPERB - I love the effect the mirrored display cabinets adds to the overall effect.
Having seen other examples of this, I've already talked to the Missus about putting up a "made-to-measure" plate mirror behind our SOHK display cabinet so as to emulate the same effect with our collection.

Thanks
Harry

Thanks guys. I hope to be adding some more Boxers at some point..monitoring some ebay auctions right now...I still have 2 sets on some sort of back order limbo...I will have to wait to see what happens...I will add more pictures when I get additional figures...I only wish I had started collecting the EOI sets sooner...I was really missing out on some great stuff..

I'm expecting another box of goodies to arrive tomorrow from Matt at Hobby Bunker. With it's arrival I should be getting the remaining sets of Boxers that were produced that I was missing and the officer to go with my Italian troops. Still waiting for any word from MTSC on the Nordenfelt gun. Its been on back order for a while. It did find out that the American firing set is retired...so I have no luck tracking any down..Sites have them listed, but don't have it instock. I will post pictures when I get the new sets.

I'm expecting another box of goodies to arrive tomorrow from Matt at Hobby Bunker. With it's arrival I should be getting the remaining sets of Boxers that were produced that I was missing and the officer to go with my Italian troops. Still waiting for any word from MTSC on the Nordenfelt gun. Its been on back order for a while. It did find out that the American firing set is retired...so I have no luck tracking any down..Sites have them listed, but don't have it instock. I will post pictures when I get the new sets.

That's good news on the goodies front Mr Built. Bad luck on the American firing set. You're making me a wee bit nervous though. I was going to wait until the end of this year before getting into EoI's Colonial Collection, but if they're getting difficult to track down, then perhaps I ought to review my present collecting plan which will take me through to September.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new sets. Are you intending building a diorama for them or will they be in a display cabinet? Either way, they're going to look great.

Cheers
H

Well my EOI figures arrived yesterday. Minus two sets, written on the receipt was that 2 of the sets were on the dreaded back order. I will take pitures when I get them in...
Harry you may not want to wait to much longer to start the collecting the series...

Are you intending building a diorama for them or will they be in a display cabinet? Either way, they're going to look great.

Cheers
H

Harry,
At some point I will do a scene in the case nothing real elaborate, but to add more depth to the display...It will still be in the display case..I'm anti-dust on soldiers...so everything that I want to show off has to fit into one of my 2 display cases...

Brent

I know its an old "trick" but apart from the figures - which are quite SUPERB - I love the effect the mirrored display cabinets adds to the overall effect.
Having seen other examples of this, I've already talked to the Missus about putting up a "made-to-measure" plate mirror behind our SOHK display cabinet so as to emulate the same effect with our collection.

Thanks
Harry

Harry,

I have seen this "mirrored" effect done successfully by others,

but when I replaced my China and Lalique,

with soldiers in my 3 door mirrored hutch,

anxious to replicate it,

I found I didn't have the skills to reproduce photos to my expectations.

First off, NO FLASH!

You just can't use it.

It will reflect off the front glass doors and the mirrored back.

So the lighting has to be almost perfect to get the shot.

The angles were also difficult to achieve in my photos because I have triple doors with a wooden seperator. I was just limited on shots.

I also had reflections of my background in the photos (me, my table, house plants, pictures on the wall, etc...) when I took the photos.

I found it clumsy to arrange soldiers too, reaching in and knocking them over.

Also, any speck of dust, smudged glass or "debris", shows up in the photos.

You're a much better photographer than me, and you will surely pull it off better than me, but you might experience some of these problems or all of them, lol.

It certainly does make a great display, but I couldn't reproduce the photo quality I wanted.

Good luck with it.

Harry,

I have seen this "mirrored" effect done successfully by others,

but when I replaced my China and Lalique,

with soldiers in my 3 door mirrored hutch,

anxious to replicate it,

I found I didn't have the skills to reproduce photos to my expectations.

First off, NO FLASH!

You just can't use it.

It will reflect off the front glass doors and the mirrored back.

So the lighting has to be almost perfect to get the shot.

The angles were also difficult to achieve in my photos because I have triple doors with a wooden seperator. I was just limited on shots.

I also had reflections of my background in the photos (me, my table, house plants, pictures on the wall, etc...) when I took the photos.

I found it clumsy to arrange soldiers too, reaching in and knocking them over.

Also, any speck of dust, smudged glass or "debris", shows up in the photos.

You're a much better photographer than me, and you will surely pull it off better than me, but you might experience some of these problems or all of them, lol.

It certainly does make a great display, but I couldn't reproduce the photo quality I wanted.

Good luck with it.

Mike,

What I was meaning was putting a specially made sheet of mirrored glass (something like 7ft x 4 ft) on the wall behind this open display cabinet. It's in the darkest corner of my cave and the mirror with a few stragegically placed LED's inside some miniature Chinese lanterns would brighten things up no end - I think.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Well my EOI figures arrived yesterday. Minus two sets, written on the receipt was that 2 of the sets were on the dreaded back order. I will take pitures when I get them in...
Harry you may not want to wait to much longer to start the collecting the series...

Brent; no worries. I pre-ordered every set from the Boxer Rebellion and the Colonial Collection that's still available about three months ago. Will be picking up at least some of them at the beginning of July. The rest have been reserved and put to one side for me.
:)
Cheers
H

:eek:WOW. Smart Man. I wish I had done that...Of course, I only really paid attention to EOI this year...I keep looking...

:eek:WOW. Smart Man. I wish I had done that...Of course, I only really paid attention to EOI this year...I keep looking...

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I only started seriously considering EoI around the end of 2007 - got my first Ancient Greeks and Persians in February 2008 - and have been kicking myself ever since for not getting into these wonderful figures a long time ago.
Still, you don't really know how good they are until you buy them and get a close-up look.

Cheers
H

So, these pictures are not good, but I wanted to get some quick shots of the progress on the Colonials....I will take better pics when I have time...Still having to track down some sets...but...as the saying goes...the anticipation of the hunt is sometimes greater then the find...

Attachments

• IMG_4954.jpg
    IMG_4954.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4957.jpg
    IMG_4957.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 246
So, these pictures are not good, but I wanted to get some quick shots of the progress on the Colonials....I will take better pics when I have time...Still having to track down some sets...but...as the saying goes...the anticipation of the hunt is sometimes greater then the find...

Hi Brent,

The quality of pictures is irrelevant, although I also get frustrated when they don't come out well, because the quality of the figures is outstanding.
I see you've made splendid progress in your collection. I've had to put my plans on the back-burner to a certain extent due to another manufacturers products receiving the same priority as my EoI acquisitions. However, its looking like I'll be able to get my first Boxer and Colonial sets home in November. I've no idea how Missus H is going to react to the subject matter even though she's already seen some actual examples as opposed to just photos.
Maybe I'll just tell her the Chinese won....
:p:p:p:p

Cheers
Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back