JJD et La bataille de Qadesh (1 Viewer)

Francis

Private 1st Class
Let's see, friends, what the JJD releases have in store for us for the battle of Kadesh which took place around 1274 BC. and which opposed two of the greatest powers in the Middle East: the Hittite empire of Muwatalli and the New Egyptian Empire of Ramses II.
This battle took place on the outskirts of Qadesh, in the south of present-day Syria.

The enormous interest of this battle for the informed collectors that we are, displays a representation of diverse and varied allies and mercenaries within the two armies, to our greatest happiness...

According to the first information from JJD, we already know a lot about the development of this theme which should prove prolific and exceptionally aesthetic!
There is no doubt that this theme will gain a lot of value and will be very sought after in the coming years...

Egyptians warriors.jpg

The Egyptian army is made up of four "divisions" of 5000 men each bearing the name of a divinity: Amon, Re, Ptah and Seth whose banners they carried.

Egyptian infantry.jpg

Egyptian infantry men.jpg

a warrior equipped with an Egyptian ax representing heavy infantry

Egyptian infantry axemen.jpg

The shock troops are squadrons of light two-wheeled carts, mounted by two soldiers, a driver and an archer but also other hand weapons for close combat, and pulled by two horses.
There are 2000 of them (500 per division).

This is the greatest chariot battle in history...and not that of Prokhorovka.. 😂

Egyptian cart.jpg

JD presented these first achievements of the components of the army of Ramses II...
Infantry, archers and chariots are on display.
Other surprises certainly await us because the weapons of the Egyptian infantry are not all represented and I am hoping for a chariot with a spearman,that would be great! (hope the image will inspire JJD!)

We stop there for this introduction...
I'll see you soon for the rest!

Last edited:
After the different components of the Egyptian army which are the light infantry formed of javeliners and archers, the heavy infantry formed, among others, by the axe men and the Egyptian strike force, the chariots carrying mainly archers but also Lancers, let's take a look at the other troops, particularly they auxiliaries.

egyptian chariot with archer.jpg

The first of these auxiliaries is the mercenary Shardane, one of the future "Sea Peoples", who are former war captives that the king integrated into his own troops because of their military quality, notably their specific weapons, such as their long swords and their imposing axe.
They are supervised by Egyptian officers.

Shardane warrior.jpg

this one sports a very particular weapon and a shield very close to that of the Lukkas, another auxiliary troop of the Egyptians...

Shardane.jpg

their military quality was such that they became Pharaoh's bodyguards.

They also formed an elite unit within the Egyptian army against the Hittites...

Lukkas and Shardanes.jpg

Here, a clash where Shardanes, Lukkas or Phillistines certainly confront Nubians....

JJD announced the creation of Shardan warriors through drawings presented by our friend Mike...
We should see them this year...

We will see in the next issue, another auxiliary of the 'sea people' who fought the Hittites alongside the Egyptians.

Before diving further into the allies of the Egyptian army at the battle of Kadesh, let's take a look at its weaponry and more particularly at a handgun very common at that time...

The KHOPESH

khopesh-egyptian-sword-black.jpg

The khopesh was a curved sickle-shaped Egyptian sword from the Bronze Age that originated from crescent-shaped Mesopomatic battle axes.

Khopesh is the Egyptian name for the Canaanite "sickle sword", known in Assyrian as sappara. Its origins date back to Sumer, in the third millennium BC.

Egyptian with Khopesh.jpg

The blade of a khopesh was on average 50-60 cm long. The khopesh was versatile in use, the curvature of the blade was used to block the enemy's shield arm or shield and it was a very effective weapon in close combat.

Pharaon Khopesh.jpg

The sword probably also had a religious function, because Egyptian pharaohs are depicted with a khopesh on wall paintings in tombs (e.g. Tutankhamun's tomb from the 14th century BCE).

Egyptian chariot Khopesh.jpg

Egyptian pharaon chariot.jpg

The sword fell out of use around 1300-1200 BCE.

Great research Francis. Thank you so much and like you I cant wait to see all these releases

Thanks Francis. I always like your research. It's not too much or too little. Very interesting.

Thanks Francis. I always like your research. It's not too much or too little. Very interesting.

Thank you for this attention... I am trying to familiarize myself with this theme of the battle of Kadesh which I did not know while sharing my research...
The forces present, the allies, their weaponry and some relevant information on their origins will allow us to better understand this new series that JJD is developing for us...
there are still a lot of topics left on this battle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back