"Join the Royal Navy..." (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
A Royal Navy "tar" and a young Indian woman he has met while on shore leave have their photograph taken while touring the local architectural wonders.

Figures from Wm. Hocker Set 118

Attachments

• SeeTheWorldMatSm.jpg
    SeeTheWorldMatSm.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 333
Was fraternizing with Indian women allowed to be that public?

Was fraternizing with Indian women allowed to be that public?

More than Indian men with British women. Although in A Passage to India Adela Quested goes to the Marabar caves with Dr. Aziz. Of course, Mrs. Moore is along to chaperone. Lots of British men had Indian mistresses. The Hocker set comes with them as a couple in a group photo. Remember too that this is a sailor not an upperclass gentleman. As in China and Japan prostitution involving the other ranks and native women was common and less discreet.

Thanks Polar Bear.

I just know Indians that now live and work in America. Their grown children are blending in, in one case of a former co-worker, one son dates a "white" woman and the other has served 3 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. The older folks try to hold to their customs and the idea of Indian women with "white" men is shocking. One woman told me "American men all have mistresses."
One Indian man got mad at me for admiring Indian women but laughed about seeing American women semi-dressed. "She wears tiny knickers!"

The Indians I have worked with, I have enjoyed knowing.

These set-ups of yours are fun. I only know Indian Colonial history from movies.

Thanks Polar Bear.

I just know Indians that now live and work in America. Their grown children are blending in, in one case of a former co-worker, one son dates a "white" woman and the other has served 3 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. The older folks try to hold to their customs and the idea of Indian women with "white" men is shocking. One woman told me "American men all have mistresses."
One Indian man got mad at me for admiring Indian women but laughed about seeing American women semi-dressed. "She wears tiny knickers!"

The Indians I have worked with, I have enjoyed knowing.

These set-ups of yours are fun. I only know Indian Colonial history from movies.

Have you seen Bend It Like Beckham? Parminder Nagra's traditional family are upset by her relationship with her British soccer coach. I had a number of colleagues from India at Syracuse University both male and female, Hindu, Sikh, and Buddhist. I'll never forget the day when the Dali Lama came into the library (where I worked) and my Indian Buddhist friend Uma knelt and kissed the hem of his garment. It was pretty awesome.

Attachments

• beckham.jpg
    beckham.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 142
I like That movie because the two fathers are the understanding parents for once!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back