June 6 - 64 Years Ago (1 Viewer)

Dickbuttons

Sergeant
Tomorrow, June 6, 2008, is the 64th anniversary of the D-Day landings in France. As I write this in honor of all those soldiers of the Allied Expeditionary Force, paratroopers were getting ready to embark on their night drops. I just wante to take a moment to remember all those brave men (Including two of my uncles).

Dick

Tomorrow, June 6, 2008, is the 64th anniversary of the D-Day landings in France. As I write this in honor of all those soldiers of the Allied Expeditionary Force, paratroopers were getting ready to embark on their night drops. I just wante to take a moment to remember all those brave men (Including two of my uncles).

Dick

Dick - I want to join in and call to name my hero and name sake, Herbert Boyer, who landed on Omaha Beach June 8th I believe. Hw was a Tow Truck Driver.

That's right. It was the American led Allied invasion that went over and kicked the tar out of the Germans. All the Russians did was have crappy weather.

Yo Dick, yes nice to remember all those young guys who fought and died for us. God Bless them all.

"LEST WE FORGET"

Bernard.

D-Day 6 June 1944

Thank you to the following nations whose forces landed on the Normandy beaches in France on the 6th of June 1944 in order to liberate Europe, and ulitmately the world from the tyranny of occupation and murder:

The UNITED STATES of AMERICA

CANADA

GREAT BRITAIN

(Including English, Scottish, Welsh & Irish Regiments)

FRANCE

POLAND

BELGIUM

HOLLAND

&

NORWAY

Re: D-Day 6 June 1944

Thank you to the following nations whose forces landed on the Normandy beaches in France on the 6th of June 1944 in order to liberate Europe, and ulitmately the world from the tyranny of occupation and murder:[/COLOR

The UNITED STATES of AMERICA

CANADA

GREAT BRITAIN

Including English, Scottish, Welsh & Irish RegimentsFRANCE

POLAND

BELGIUM

HOLLAND

&

NORWAY

Thanks General -- today we rememeber all who particpated in the landings/air drops.

When I was younger -- every June 6, the local and national news would begin their broadcast by reminding everyone that it is the anniversary of D-Day. TCM and TBS, and the other TV stations would be playing the movie "The Longest Day" over and over. Today, I watched the local news and the antional news and D-Day wasn't even mentioned. I think it's terribly sad how quickly some of us forget the sacrifices others have made so we can sit back and enjoy the day.

One rememberance that is seared in my memory is going to the movies on opening day to see "Saving Private Ryan." A group of older gentlemen, all adorned with the VFW hats and WWII pins were also present. On the way out of the movies I was struck by the sight of these older men still sitting in their seats with eyes swelled up with tears.

I sincerely hope we never forget -- these men and the others (men and women) who have given so much for us.

Dickbuttons,

Here in Sydney, Australia, Alan Jones (Australia's number 1 radio announcer) read out on air:

1. Every nation involved with the D-Day landings.

2. The number of airmen, sailors, marines, paratroopers and soldiers involved.

3. The number of aircraft involved.

4. The number of ships involved.

and

5. The incredible tonnage of food, ammunitions, weapons and supplies.

When I was younger -- every June 6, the local and national news would begin their broadcast by reminding everyone that it is the anniversary of D-Day. TCM and TBS, and the other TV stations would be playing the movie "The Longest Day" over and over. Today, I watched the local news and the antional news and D-Day wasn't even mentioned. I think it's terribly sad how quickly some of us forget the sacrifices others have made so we can sit back and enjoy the day.

One rememberance that is seared in my memory is going to the movies on opening day to see "Saving Private Ryan." A group of older gentlemen, all adorned with the VFW hats and WWII pins were also present. On the way out of the movies I was struck by the sight of these older men still sitting in their seats with eyes swelled up with tears.

I sincerely hope we never forget -- these men and the others (men and women) who have given so much for us.

The current education establishment here in the US does not consider it the main focus for teaching history, generally speaking.

This morning, on his radio show, Bill Bennett was discussing a poll of American high school students, that asked who the most important people in US history were, excluding Presidents. The top responses were Martin Luther King, Jr, Harriet Tubman, and Susan B Anthony.

Not to say that those folks aren't worthy of study, in a course of hisotry, but I think it shows what most contemporary history teachers think is important these days.

Prost!
Brad

Paying a Tribute.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 57
  • dday6.jpg
    dday6.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 54
  • D-Day-Division-Symbols.jpg
    D-Day-Division-Symbols.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 62
  • d-day-beach.jpg
    d-day-beach.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 77
I have two Uncles that were in D-Day.

One was in the 29th ID. He didn't speak about it, except when he drank. He would vividly recall having to swim through blood and guts, and seeing every kind of horror. He's gone now.

The other was a landing craft driver in the Navy. All day long, he landed men on the beach. These drivers were ordered not to stop for any reason, they even had to run over their own wounded men in the water floating in their life preservers and getting cut to pieces in the props.

He's still alive, but to this day family will not let me talk to him about it.

This day will never be forgotten by me.

IXEC

I have two Uncles that were in D-Day.

One was in the 29th ID. He didn't speak about it, except when he drank. He would vividly recall having to swim through blood and guts, and seeing every kind of horror. He's gone now.

The other was a landing craft driver in the Navy. All day long, he landed men on the beach. These drivers were ordered not to stop for any reason, they even had to run over their own wounded men in the water floating in their life preservers and getting cut to pieces in the props.

He's still alive, but to this day family will not let me talk to him about it.

This day will never be forgotten by me.

IXEC

I too had two uncles in the battle, and both never talked about it. Both are now have passed. One was in the Navy and the other was an army "foot-slogger" who hit the beaches.

Dick

When I was watching SPR last night - I was thinking about how lucky we are today to have the modern weapons and air support to not ever have another Normandy Invasion Again.

Here's to the men who hit those beaches !

Excellant thread.Heres to every single person from every country who on that day started the process of liberation and freedom from the scum of the earth.God bless every one of you.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back