King's Troop Part One (1 Viewer)

trooper

Command Sergeant Major
Some years ago I was requested to make a gun team of the RHA. I contacted King's Troop who very kindly offered to let me photograph the guns and harness, and who exceeded my wildest expectations by actually harnessing up a gun and limber specifically for my benefit.
The following photos show the team in working kit and I shall endeavour to point out the differences between that and the parade dress
The first photo shows the very first parade. It was impossible to find enough 13 pdr guns at that time so 18 pdrs were used. It had also been impossible in the time available to train sufficient horses and riders, and so gunners sat on the limbers and the whole exercise was carried out at the walk. However within a very short space of time these problems had been overcome and the Troop was performing with the dash expected of it.
First on the limber. On parade there is an oblong of polished leather above the towhook, this can be seen on one of the photos taken in the gunshed but doesn't show on the limber in the open.
Note the oblong box on the right hand side covered by a leather flap, this houses a spanner used when removing a wheel.
Although on parade everything looks smart and uniform the limbers are a mix of 13 pdr, 18 pdr and army trailers c.1921. The main differences are in the internal arrangements which, of course, are never seen. The only visible difference is he arrangement of the little strap retaining brackets on the top which vary slightly.

Attachments

• rha01.jpg
    rha01.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 153
  • rha02.jpg
    rha02.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 150
  • rha03.jpg
    rha03.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 168
  • rha04.jpg
    rha04.jpg