Late war German armour (IN GERMANY) (1 Viewer)

daruss

First Sergeant
Hi, does anyone know if the PANZER LEHR SPG (WS73),, was used in Germany during spring of '45
thanks

If I read the listing correctly, WS073 is the German 105mm howitzer on the French tank chassis. Most of these were with the 21st Panzer Division and other armor units based in France during the occupation. The bulk of these were likely lost in the combat around Caen and during the huge losses in material that happened when the Allies broke free from Normandy. The German army and SS didn't have the material resources that the Allies did so equipment was used until it fell apart, but there is only a small chance that one of these machines would still be operational in Germany in 1945. The gun was German so ammo wouldn't be a problem but being driven from Fance means the Germans lost their main source of spare parts to keep it running.
But then again, one never quite knows with the German armed forces during the disintegration of the Reich.

Gary B.

I think I recall reading in Doyles' Cataloge of Germany Military Vehicles that all of the Hotchkis SPG,s were lost in France.
O.C.

These vehicles weren't even issued to the Panzer Lehr Division.

Panzer Lehr 130 was one of the most elite units in the Wehrmacht. It was formed in 1943 from units of elite training and demonstration troops. It also got the best equipment and my reference books make no mention of them ever having Grille SPG (WS73) in their formation, even in Normandy in June 1944. In June 1944, they had 9 StuG, 101 Panzer IV, 89 Panthers, 8 Tigers and 12 FlakPanzer 38t. Its armour was virtually all destroyed in Normandy and it was re-equipped for the Batlle of the Bulge with 27 Panzer IV, 30 Panthers, 3 FlakPanzer 20 and 4 FlakPanzer 37. So the BBG001 Grille SPG at the Bulge is most unlikely on it's own, let alone with the Panzer Lehr, but the K&C model WS080 Gepard Flakpanzer 38(T) was there with the Panzer Lehr.

Terry

Panzer Lehr 130 was one of the most elite units in the Wehrmacht. It was formed in 1943 from units of elite training and demonstration troops. It also got the best equipment and my reference books make no mention of them ever having Grille SPG (WS73) in their formation, even in Normandy in June 1944. In June 1944, they had 9 StuG, 101 Panzer IV, 89 Panthers, 8 Tigers and 12 FlakPanzer 38t. Its armour was virtually all destroyed in Normandy and it was re-equipped for the Batlle of the Bulge with 27 Panzer IV, 30 Panthers, 3 FlakPanzer 20 and 4 FlakPanzer 37. So the BBG001 Grille SPG at the Bulge is most unlikely on it's own, let alone with the Panzer Lehr, but the K&C model WS080 Gepard Flakpanzer 38(T) was there with the Panzer Lehr.

Terry
The Panzer Lehr's flak 38t weren't there in the Battle of the Bulge as they had been lost in Normandy.It had recieved 4 x Mobelagen flakpanzers as replacements for the Ardennes.

The Panzer Lehr's flak 38t weren't there in the Battle of the Bulge as they had been lost in Normandy.It had recieved 4 x Mobelagen flakpanzers as replacements for the Ardennes.

Would they be the Mobelagen flakpanzers with 37 mm guns? The book "The Essential Tank Identification Guide - Wehrmacht Panzer Divisions 1939 - 1945 also lists 3 FlakPanzer 20 which I would suspect were on a 38(t) chasis?

Terry

Would they be the Mobelagen flakpanzers with 37 mm guns? The book "The Essential Tank Identification Guide - Wehrmacht Panzer Divisions 1939 - 1945 also lists 3 FlakPanzer 20 which I would suspect were on a 38(t) chasis?

Terry
I have the Orbat Chart in front of me which clearly shows 4 x 37mm Mobelwagens.The only other flak guns in the Panzer Regt.were 3 x sdkfz 7/1 serving with the HQ Coy of the 2nd Bn.
Jeff

I have the Orbat Chart in front of me which clearly shows 4 x 37mm Mobelwagens.The only other flak guns in the Panzer Regt.were 3 x sdkfz 7/1 serving with the HQ Coy of the 2nd Bn.
Jeff

Well, that could mean the K&C flakpanzer was not with the Panzer Lehr division. Were there any of that model with any of the units including Luftwaffe anti-aircraft units in the Ardennes?

Terry

Luftwaffe Flak units were never issued flakpanzers.They were only ever allocated to the HQ Coys of Panzer units(Along with flakwagens).Luftwaffe units recieved towed pieces and flakwagens (7/1s 7/2s etc).Sorry got to go now.It's 23.35 in England.
Jeff

Hi friends, thanks for the replies,, I was hoping it was used in Germany, because i wanted to do a late war railroad diorama.. Similir to the one K&C has w/ the hetzer tank at the Abandoned railway station..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back