Living History Show (1 Viewer)

Leadmen

2nd Lieutenant
This past weekend I went to a History Show at Kalamazoo, Michigan. The turnout this year was great. The show had five large rooms and went Sat. and Sunday. I went Sunday because Saturday was so crowded. Michtoy was there with Jenkins and Civil War figures. Also another Britain guy was there with Civil War figures.

The main focus was the French/Indian war, Civil War, Rev. War and other periods of history. You could buy artwork, hand made uniforms, military antiques, gunmakers and knife makers. Almost anything needed was at the show.

I enjoyed the author's like Tim Toddish who had some new F/I war books and my favorite artist Robert Griffing was in attendance with a gallery room of his paintings of the F/I war. I bought his second volume of his paintings. His first book is in the third printing which is unusual for art books. The craftsmanship of the people who made guns and other equiptment is amazing. Good time was had. John

Attachments

• historyshow1w.jpg
    historyshow1w.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 814
Robert Griffing's new canoe painting. J

Attachments

• canoe1w.jpg
    canoe1w.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,497
Robert Griffing taking photos of Michigan Indians for future paintings. J

Attachments

• photospainting1w.jpg
    photospainting1w.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Indian posing for future paintings. J

Attachments

• indianpaint1w.jpg
    indianpaint1w.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 219
Robert Griffing's painting of Braddock's defeat is my favorite. This is a big painting. General Washington has his hand on the tree. J

Attachments

• Braddock1w.jpg
    Braddock1w.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 2,357
Here is Robert Griffing signing my book. I asked him when he retired from being a graphic artist in 1988 if he thought his paintings would become so popular. He said he had no idea and painted because of his enjoyment of the French Indian war period. John

Attachments

• signbook1w.jpg
    signbook1w.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 190
My friend Carol who reenacts and makes crafts for years. Carol on left. The period clothes were wore by most vendors. J

Attachments

• carol1w.jpg
    carol1w.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 149
Carol's husband George also makes jewelry, paper, knives and many other crafts. George has been doing reenactments most of his life. He got me interested in this subculture.:) They have a good time. John

Attachments

• Georgeshow1w.jpg
    Georgeshow1w.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Hi John,

seems to me that you had a great time there. Congratulations to your new signed Griffing book.
For me as an FIW collector I will see if I can visit that show maybe next year. Have to look up how long of a drive that would be.
Thanks for posting the pictures.

Konrad

Thanks for the pics John.

Looks as though you had a great time and looks like it would have been a great show to visit. Kalamazoo isn't all that far from me either, maybe next year :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back