LOD's Greek Galley (1 Viewer)

Winky

Private 2
Ken forwarded on pics of the final version of the Greek galley. I'm having trouble posting them, so I'll settle for a description. I'm sure Ken will post pics soon.

The finished galley will be approximately 5" wide, 17" long. and, with its mast, 12 inches high. There are plastic oars, a plastic mast, and a planned sail. Ken made no mention of a painted version of the galley, but, in fact, the galley may come in a painted version. Unpainted it looks grand. 17" is a good size, in my estimate. The ship looks like it can hold quite a few guys to support a Greek invasion. I'll definitely paint mine. Foam really comes alive when you paint it, even in a simple, rudimentary color scheme.

This ship fills a long neglected toy soldier void and fills it quite well. Playmobile had a Roman galley at one point, but it's not been available for some time, I think. Lovely ship, tho. The Remco Mighty Caesar was wonderful, but it's been loooong gone. So if you want an ancient's vessel, this guy is pretty neat. It appears to be reasonably accurate for its period - no ram, a deck almost level with the gunnels, and a stylized stern and bow evocative of Greek shipping. To me, it's reminiscent of the ships seen beached in the movie "Troy." I believe the ship's going to be ready for the Chicago show.

Dick

Like to see a photo, your description sounds good. Hopefully someone will click a photo at the show in a couple of weeks. Robin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back