Looking for glass shelves for a hanging wall display case (1 Viewer)

sam04

Private
I'm looking to build some hanging wall display cases. Something that only sticks out 4 inches or so.

Does anybody know where I can find woodworking plans on the web or where I can buy glass shelves similar in size to what you would find in a medicine cabinet, (3" by 18" or similar?). I can only find larger glass shelves on the web. I had some glass cut locally before, but was unhappy with the results.

Regards,
sam04

I had a look on the net and I can't really find anything. I think that you are going to go and have them custom cut.

Have you tried stores like HomeDepot or ACE Hardware ??? Don't know if they do glass cutting but the may have some type of storage shelving that has glass shelves that you could use ???

I don't know about ready-made plans for display cases, though Sears' Craftsman website might be a good place to look. If I were going to build a case, I would make my own drawing, because I also dabble in woodworking.

As for the glass shelving, I would look for local window glass companies, such as companies that sell and install both house windows, and maybe also auto glass. If they don't happen to have glass shelving in stock, they can probably order it for you, and cut it to order.

Recently I've learned that arts & crafts stores carry display cases in various sizes that make good display cases for toy soldiers. For example, we have 2 chain stores here in the East Coast of the US, Michael's and AC Moore. They have cases that sports collectors use for various objects. I've picked up a couple of cases made to display American footballs. They're roughly 8"x8"x13", have a decent enough finish, and have a mirrored back wall. Right now, I use them for simple displays, but they could fit some set pieces and figures. I'm making a 3-tiered tribune to fit in one of the cases, so I can display figures in three rows.

Good luck with the search!

Regards,
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back