Making History 1862 (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
Timothy H. O'Sullivan, was a photographer who worked for Matthew Brady during the Civil War. Among his photographs were images of African American families seeking freedom behind Union lines around the time of the second battle of Bull Run. Many of these were taken near the Rappahannock River, Rappahannock, Virginia in August of 1862. O'Sullivan's photographs along with those of Brady and Alexander Gardner have helped make the history of the Civil War come alive for subsequent generations.

1."Making History" (Diorama using Wm. Hocker sets 322 and 325)
2. Fugitive African Americans fording the Rappahanock River 1862 (photo by O'Sullivan)
3. Timothy O'Sullivan (1840-1882)

Attachments

• MakingHistory1863.jpg
    MakingHistory1863.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 0404001r.jpg
    0404001r.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Timothy_H_O'Sullivan_by_F.G._Ludlow,_Carson_City,_c1871-74.jpg
    Timothy_H_O'Sullivan_by_F.G._Ludlow,_Carson_City,_c1871-74.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 113
Randy,

Knowing how you're interested in photography, I thought this article regarding Lincoln might be of interest to you, http://picturingamerica.neh.gov/dow...hapters/PictAmer_Resource_Book_Chapter_9B.pdf

I was also wondering if you have read Lincoln at Cooper Union by Harold Holzer. There is a chapter in there about Lincoln's visit to Matthew Brady's studio in New York and how the photos that emerged from that session made him look presidential as Lincoln in those days usually had a rumpled appearance.

Randy,

Knowing how you're interested in photography, I thought this article regarding Lincoln might be of interest to you, http://picturingamerica.neh.gov/dow...hapters/PictAmer_Resource_Book_Chapter_9B.pdf

I was also wondering if you have read Lincoln at Cooper Union by Harold Holzer. There is a chapter in there about Lincoln's visit to Matthew Brady's studio in New York and how the photos that emerged from that session made him look presidential as Lincoln in those days usually had a rumpled appearance.

Hi Brad

Thank you for both of these suggestions neither of which I had seen before. I am especially interested in the iconography (the visual images, symbols, or modes of representation collectively associated with a person, cult, or movement) of contrabands in art, photography or the pictorial press of the era. So if you run into this kind of material please let me know. I do have some sources already but with your interest in the era you may know of things I have missed.

Randy

Randy,

This book "Lincoln in American Memory" by Merrill Peterson might be of interest. Here's the Amazon link.

The Amazon price is a little expensive but I think I've seen it on eBay and you should be able to find it on Abe Books.

There's also another book (oversized) came out in 2009 about how he's depicted but I'm drawing a blank right now. If it comes to me I'll get you the name and authors.

Just found it: Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon by Phillip Kunhardt and two other members of the Kunhardt family. Here's the Amazon link.

They've also done a couple of other books on Lincoln which you might want to check out.

Just found it: Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon by Phillip Kunhardt and two other members of the Kunhardt family. Here's the Amazon link.

They've also done a couple of other books on Lincoln which you might want to check out.

Thanks again Brad--very much appreciated.

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back