Making Steel Bulwark on Yangtze Gunboat (1 Viewer)

Marchand

Private
I am working on a simple 54mm wooden model Yangtze gunboat. What is the best way to replicate the steel bulwark that went around the hull? Some sort of heavy card tacked to the wood and then painted?

Also, any hints on making a canvas awning?

I am working on a simple 54mm wooden model Yangtze gunboat. What is the best way to replicate the steel bulwark that went around the hull? Some sort of heavy card tacked to the wood and then painted?

I'm not sure about how you make steel bulkheads, but for canvas I use fabric.

My wife is an avid quilter so half of the workshop is filled with boxes of her fabrics, so when I need something she almost always has the right coloured material for the job.
I stiffen it with PVA glue, and then that's sets hard. It can be used for vehicle tarpaulins, tents and suchlike.

Here is an example used for deckchairs using striped fabric for Phoenix Scale Miniatures:
donkey2.jpg

John

I'd use styrene sheet. Evergreen and Plastruct are the two biggest manufacturers of styrene sheet for hobbyists, and they both make good products. However, you can also use the pre-printed signs available at the hardware store--"Yard Sale", "For Sale", "No Parking", etc. Most of them are made of styrene, and they're cheaper by the square foot, than Evergreen or Plastruct. I bought one, for example, to make bases for a collection of 1/1200 ship models.

As to the awning, I second Obee. I would use real cloth. I save my worn-out dress shirts for just such things. I wear Oxfords, made from a blend (60-40 cotton to synthetic, I think). When the collars fray, they become weekend shirts, and when they wear out at that point, they become raw material for handkerchiefs and for hobby projects. Bleach 'em, then color them as necessary.

Prost!
Brad

I used several layers of very thin hobby wood sheets on the hull, bending it around my bottom hull form, with little craft " jewels " for rivets. I bought faux canvas from a craft store for my awnings and brass fasteners for my port holes. Michael

Attachments

• 6660.jpg
    6660.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 6660a.jpg
    6660a.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Yeah, I like your idea on the portholes, Michael. I marked that down for my own use, to get brass grommets for that purpose.

Prost!
Brad

I'd use styrene sheet. Evergreen and Plastruct are the two biggest manufacturers of styrene sheet for hobbyists, and they both make good products. However, you can also use the pre-printed signs available at the hardware store--"Yard Sale", "For Sale", "No Parking", etc. Most of them are made of styrene, and they're cheaper by the square foot, than Evergreen or Plastruct. I bought one, for example, to make bases for a collection of 1/1200 ship models.

As to the awning, I second Obee. I would use real cloth. I save my worn-out dress shirts for just such things. I wear Oxfords, made from a blend (60-40 cotton to synthetic, I think). When the collars fray, they become weekend shirts, and when they wear out at that point, they become raw material for handkerchiefs and for hobby projects. Bleach 'em, then color them as necessary.

Prost!
Brad

I second Brad and 3rd John. That said I have one of Maddadicus' boats It is rather nice.:salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back