Manchu Emperor (1 Viewer)

blaster

Captain
Hi All,

I was rummaging thru my stuff and found this old piece from a few years back and decided to rescue it from obscurity. I added resin cast boots and have worked on the face. The headgear will be next.

Rgds Victor

Attachments

• jaja 085.JPG
    jaja 085.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 223
Hi All,

Just posting a couple of pics on the Manchu gown and headdress being modelled. Rgds Victor

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 159
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 154
Attached are pics of work in progress. The first attempt at modelling the hat, and facial details being firmed up.

Rgds Victor

Attachments

• carrige 005.JPG
    carrige 005.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 139
  • carrige 006.JPG
    carrige 006.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 129
Great work, Victor, thanks for reviving this project and sharing it. With the Empress, this will make an excellent pair.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad,

Actually I am modelling specifically the Yongzheng Emperor (5th in line) who is the only one known to have worn a red dragon robe attributed to him. His reign was well-before that of the Dowager.

I have already resculpted the headdress and will post more pics when ready.

Rgds Victor

Victor,

This is different, looking forward to the next phase. ^&cool

Jeff

Victor

thanks for paosting your progess imagery, that way we can see how you make your figures, and I can't wait to see the final painted one.

Going on your deatiled fabrics on the Javanese, I bet both the Emperer and his Dowager will be brilliant.

John

Hi John,

The way I make my figures is not a textbook way of sculpting. Use my progress pics to avoid the mess. ;););).

Thanks for your kind comments. I have just updated on my website. The article title was my idea.

Rgds Victor

I resculpted the entire headdress. More details were added including the belt. More paraphernalia will be added hopefully by next week and I can start painting this piece.

Rgds Victor

Attachments

• daku 049.JPG
    daku 049.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 101
  • daku 050.JPG
    daku 050.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 108
More progress on the figure. Copper wire was used for the pigtail and some details on the belt. rgds Victor

Attachments

• daku 055.JPG
    daku 055.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 105
  • daku 057.JPG
    daku 057.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 113
Wow! It's been 2 years since I last worked on this figure. I rediscovered it a few days back and decided to carry on. All details to headdress and costume finalised and I worked a little on the face. The progress so far. Contrast this with the toy soldier treatment that I did much earlier.

Rgds Victor

View attachment 133463View attachment 133464P1060568.JPGP1060569.JPGP1060570.JPG

Two more pictures showing progress on the face painting.

Rgds Victor

P1060579.JPGP1060580.JPG

Hi All,

I picked up this piece, took a very long and critical look at it, and decided to rework it. There were several reasons. The overall height of the figure was 70mm (approximating 1/28 scale), when compared to my other pieces. The hat spike was off centre, and the facial features were too elongated. I also think that the pose could be improved. And finally, a bright yellow robe is more attractive than a sombre red robe. So with these thought in mind, I proceeded to dismember the piece, and so far have removed about 1cm in overall height. I'll remove all that fur trimming and replace the cape too in my new version.

Sometimes you reach a dead end with a piece. Working this way is quite refreshing as one continues to bring in fresh perspectives to abandoned pieces.

Rgds Victor

P1070335.JPGP1070647.JPG

Wow, Vic! I missed this thread, so I'm getting caught up now. This is a great project, and I really like the updated details you're adding. The headgear particularly catches my eye. I look forward to your next update!

Prost!
Brad

Hello Brad,

Thanks for looking and some encouragement. I'll need it. I actually did a real hatchet job on this piece. I carefully removed the fancy hat spike, trimmed down the rest of the hat and replace the spike again.

Anyway, I removed all that fur trimming, and ripped out the cape. then removed the lower half by about 1 cm and added a strip of copper sheet to act as overhang for the gown. I have added some putty to smooth over the transition from gown to metal sheet. The face was completely resulted, with new ears. The head and general pose was slightly modified.

I then painted the whole with yellow paint and left the mess for now.

Rgds Victor

P1070650.JPGP1070652.JPGP1070653.JPGP1070661.JPG

In order to make an omelette - you have to crack a few eggs!

Good luck Vic - jb:D

Hello JB and all,

That last picture sometimes comes out sideways. I think I know what happened. I took an askance picture, and then tried to straighten it on the computer using rotate tools. So I think that sometimes, it pops up sideways depending on your laptop.

Thank goodness that gungy yellow paint dried out. Sometimes, my older enamel paints are like that and I am loathe to throw them out. Anyway, the point about the yellow undercoat is that it kills off the red coat and further sanding down will remove any further trace of the red colour.

I sanded the figure thoroughly to try and get a smooth transition between the sheet metal and putty. New folds were created with more putty. It looks ok for now but I will give it a light undercoat of white paint to reveal any further errors. The large pictures on this site helps too.

At this stage, I have to decide what type of dragon robe he is wearing, as the cut differs. For eg, the back edge flares out as I had cut a slit in the back. Different robes may or may not have this slit. In addition, the strange collar which was worn is also slightly stiff or limp, depending on material. I plan to make this from sheet metal too.

Rgds Victor

P1070669.JPGP1070670.JPG
P1070671.JPGP1070672.JPG

Hi All,

Following more rounds of sculpting and sanding, the figure is as below. The hat was resculpted carefully. Given the type of hat spike, this figure represents a prince or noble, not the emperor.
The second pic shows the resculpted hat with tassels and the cape added, made of copper sheet. The last pic shows a basic colour scheme. Still a lot of work.

Rgds Victor

P1070675.JPGP1070682.JPGP1070690.JPG

Not being satisfied with the piece yet, I decided to redo the face again by removing the hat to ease the sculpting, and also reducing further the height of the figure by about 1 cm. The below pic shows a WIP but the figure has moved on from there.

Rgds Victor

P1070706.JPGP1070707.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back