Manes Marzano and bent flags (1 Viewer)

MikeNick

Sergeant
I have four Manes Marzano sets dealing with Greece. Only one of them was used when I bought it. Over time, however, the flags for three of them have tipped over/bent because of the weight of the flags. Does anyone know what can be done to repair them? Has anyone else seen this problem before?

I've never seen the figures, so it's hard to say. Could you post some pictures of the figures?

Are the figures cast in one piece with the figure, or are they separate?

Prost!
Brad

Still a little difficult to tell, from those photos, whether the flags are cast integrally with the figures, or separately and then attached. Since you have them yourself, how do they look to you?

If they're cast integrally with the figures, then the flagstaffs are of the same white metal alloy as the rest of the piece. For as thin as they are, they would be relatively weak and prone to bending, or brittle and prone to breaking.

For the flagbearers in MM5 and MM6, it wouldn't be too difficult to cut the staff at the top and bottom of his fist, drill a hole through his fist, and replace the staff with a piece of brass rod, which would be stronger and support the weight of the flag better.

For the one in MM12, if the piece is cast as one with the figure, it would be a little more work to use the same kind of fix, but it's not impossible. However, from the picture, it looks like that flag may be a separate piece, in which case, it's a matter of replacing the staff.

That's what comes to mind, from those pics.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,
Thanks for the heads-up on what to do. In the past, I've had Joe Demarco at Avon Toy Soldiers do some repairs for me. I will forward your observations to him and see if he can undertake the repairs. Again, thanks.
By the way, what do you collect?
Mike

I have four Manes Marzano sets dealing with Greece. Only one of them was used when I bought it. Over time, however, the flags for three of them have tipped over/bent because of the weight of the flags. Does anyone know what can be done to repair them? Has anyone else seen this problem before?

Yes,

I have exactly the same problem as you, the flag is too heavy for the pole, and the lead content of the alloy is too high, so it will ben over time.

This is my set Greeks Soldiers. Independence Greek War. Cod. MM12
mm12_s_big.jpg

I haven't done anything about it, just bend it straight every few months when I see it.

My plan will be to cut off the flag, and pole from the figure, remove the pole and then replace it witha brass rod. This will then be repainted to match.

An easy job, but low on my priorities right now.

I hope that helps,

John

Yes,

I have exactly the same problem as you, the flag is too heavy for the pole, and the lead content of the alloy is too high, so it will ben over time.

This is my set Greeks Soldiers. Independence Greek War. Cod. MM12
mm12_s_big.jpg

I haven't done anything about it, just bend it straight every few months when I see it.

My plan will be to cut off the flag, and pole from the figure, remove the pole and then replace it witha brass rod. This will then be repainted to match.

An easy job, but low on my priorities right now.

I hope that helps,

John

John,
Thanks. I will save the reply and forward it to the guy who has helped me with repairs in the past.
Mike

Interesting that they chose to mold the flagbearer that way. Easier, and cheaper, I suppose, because there's only one mold, but not as effective as it would have been had they used a separate mold for the flag, and a piece of brass rod for the staff.

Mike, I collect mostly 18th Century/Seven Years War, and Imperial German, all in 54mm, and in a more traditional gloss finish. Though, I also have other pieces that caught my eye, glossy and matte. I'm also a scale modeler, so there's some crossover. If you're interested, you can take a look at some of my collection in my gallery at my forum user page, and see what I like to do.

Please do let us see how the work on your figures come out, I'm sure the rest of us painters/modelers will be interested to see the results.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back