March 29th, 2021 News Update - The Knights of the Skies (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
JJDESIGNS NEWS UPDATE 29th MARCH 2021
THE KNIGHTS OF THE SKIES

The FOCKE-WULF FW 190 is a German single seat, single engine fighter aircraft which was designed by Kurt Tank at Focke-Wulf in the late 1930’s and widely used during the Second World War.

19001-M.jpg

Along with its well known counterpart, the Messerschmitt BF 109, the FW190 became the backbone of the Jagdwaffe (fighter Force) of the Luftwaffe.
The FW190 A started flying operationally over France in August 1941 and quickly proved superior in all but turn radius to the Spitfire Mk. V. the main frontline fighter of the Royal Air Force, particularly at low and medium altitude.

19002-M.jpg

The FW190 maintained superiority over allied fighters until the introduction of the improved Spitfire Mk. IX.

19003-M.jpg

In November 1942.the FW190 made its air combat debut on the Eastern Front, finding much success in fighter wings and specialized ground attack units from October 1943.

19004-M.jpg

The FW190 was well liked by its pilots. Some of the Luftwaffe’s most successful fighter aces claimed many of their kills while flying this plane., including Otto Kittel, Walter Nowotny and Erich Rudorffer. The FW190 had greater firepower than the BF-109 and at low to medium altitude, superior manouverability according to the opinion of German fighter pilots who flew both. It was regarded as one of the best fighter planes of the Second World War.

19005-M.jpg

I have decided to continue to develop new projects for the Knights of the Skies series, as I enjoy the technical challenges that each new model offers, and I hope that there will be 3-4 new planes offered throughout 2021.

The first variant of the FW190, the A6 will be available in May 2021.

Best wishes and many thanks

john jenkins

Wow, that is something different from JJ, i am wondering what pilots and ground crew will come to compliment the aircraft?

Fantastic!! John makes the best aircraft in 1/30 scale and I’m elated to see an FW-190 in the works... It’s a personal favorite of mine. I’m curious as to what the chosen paint schemes will be? Hopefully we get some more Luftwaffe pilots and ground crew to go with this and the BF-109s too.

I can’t say anything about the colour scheme of this, but as a teaser I will say that the painting and especially the weathering on this piece is the best of ANY KotS released thus far - and I’ve got a lot of them.

going to be some lucky owners of this.

I can’t say anything about the colour scheme of this, but as a teaser I will say that the painting and especially the weathering on this piece is the best of ANY KotS released thus far - and I’ve got a lot of them.

going to be some lucky owners of this.

Perhaps this means this will have the typical exhaust stains aft of the cowling?
I hope so, that is usually missing on the prebuilt models.
I am hopeful the upcoming F6F Hellcat will have this. those aircraft would stain and singe the exhaust areas as soon as they were first fired up......
Not real enough without that.

Based on the images from JJD posted by Julie, it appears to have the panel over fuselage guns
and area behind engine openable, or at least a separate part.
these engines were very tightly contained by the cowling. to reduce drag.
part of why they overheated at first.
Making this part removable would be hard to do in a model without having some large out of scale bits, or poor fit and lose some of the shape of the plane.

Although the panel under the engine could release and swing away. revealing the bottom. that might be a way to show engine, with magnets?

I've never been disappointed by these JJD planes from any period in history.
however he manages to display this, I'm buying one.

The panel over the nose guns would be an easy feature to include. And it looks like it will either have working flaps or the parts to show them extended. I’m sure the landing gear will be magnetic plug in place parts like most of the other JJD planes. It reminds me of my large Hobby Boss 1/18th scale FW-190A-8 kit I built a couple years back...

24123-D9-F-FA04-41-BC-AF6-D-E7-CC94610-C02.jpg

83-A47-BED-8263-4-C4-C-8-AB2-4-E9-CC136-D191.jpg

3321-BA6-F-3-CF8-48-B0-9-EA7-18-DA6-D51-B1-EA.jpg

NICELY DONE!
If JJD get's his to look half as good as that, I'd be very happy. The paint schemes on these WW2 German aircraft can get very challenging with the colors on the sides having the fading patches. You have a talent for showing use and wear without over doing it. most models go too little or too much.

So far I'm impressed with the efforts JJD has gone to, based on the Bf109. can't wait to see their FW.

NICELY DONE!
If JJD get's his to look half as good as that, I'd be very happy. The paint schemes on these WW2 German aircraft can get very challenging with the colors on the sides having the fading patches. You have a talent for showing use and wear without over doing it. most models go too little or too much.

So far I'm impressed with the efforts JJD has gone to, based on the Bf109. can't wait to see their FW.

Thanks for the kind comments, Medic! German Luftwaffe camouflage schemes are tough to paint for sure... A good airbrush, paint thinned to proper consistency, and lots of practice and patience are key. It becomes a matter of making things look random and sloppy without actually being so. I’d love to know how John does these schemes en masse... His recent 109s look great and I’ve got high expectations for the FW-190!

An excellent question, about how JJD paints these aircraft.
I can make some guesses, but would need to see a few situated next to each other.
A skill that when applied, makes these worth the cost.

I admire the effort to have such accuracy in the paint and markings on these,. you can never make it perfect unless you actually saw the machine in person, but the effort by JJD is highly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back