Medieval weapons in 54mm scale? (1 Viewer)

bearybones

Sergeant
Hi all,

I'm ready to add extra 54mm medieval weapons to my Crusades diorama - axes stuck in the ground and wooden things, swords dropped by soldiers, etc. I know about the offerings by Andrea and others, who offer unfinished swords, axes and shields. However, I'm looking for spears. Does anyone know where I can find realistic spears with proper tips in 54mm scale? If I can't find anything, I'll just start making my own. The wire is easy enough, but I think it might be a bit difficult to make realistic points, although I guess I could model the tips out of white putty, etc. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

George

How about making them out of the foil found on wine bottles? or you can buy thin sheet metal from hobby stores.

I use piano wire and hammer the end flat then shape it with a dremel grinding tool with practice you can get different shapes and sizes. But watch out they can be lethal just like their full size counterpart.

Regards John

I recommend brass rod, rather than steel wire. You can use a Dremel, but since it's softer than steel, you can use files to shape it, too. Any good hobby shop should carry it. I get mine at my local Hobbytown store. I use it for the flagstaffs for my 54mm figures, but also for pinning the joints on some figures, because once the limb is attached, I can file the excess smooth.

Hope that helps, prost!
Brad

Thank you for your advice, Scott, John and Brad. I think I have plenty of ideas to test out now.

George

Model figure companies like Pegaso or Andrea do offer sets of 54mm medieval weapons or shields or helmets in their accessories ranges.
White metal castings that you will need to paint/polish.
Konrad

George

Have a look at the Multi-Park Knight kits sold my Matt Thair of White Tower Miniatures

http://www.whitetowerminiatures.co.uk/index.php?pr=Multipart_knight_kit_parts

I have some of his foot figures and now have 2 of the knights to assemble and paint. The parts look good and I'm sure will suit what you want. As they come as individual aprts, you can mix and match and get just the right number and sorts that you want.

I had a talk with Matt at the London Show last month, and he says that he's doing well with his new figures, especially the Mongols and the new Wild West series. You can see more images in the Forum pages on the London Show from June.

I hope this helps,

John

Thank you so much, John. I just checked out the site. I see a number of items I plan to order from the Multi Part Knight Kit. That's exactly what I've been looking for. Much appreciated!!!
George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back