Monogram returns (sort of) (1 Viewer)

binder001

Command Sergeant Major
For those of us who aren't old enough to remember, back in the early 1970s Monogram Models started a series of 1/32nd WW2 military vehicles. They had the US M3 "Lee", the British M3 "Grant", the Pz IV, StuG IV, Wirbelwind, M4 Sherman, M4A1 Sherman with Calliope rocket launcher, the SdKFZ 233 8-wheel armored car, the M8 and M20 armored cars and the JagdPanzer IV. Anyway, a couple of these "classics" are being recast by Revell-Monogram. The M3 "Lee" has been released and the M4 "Sherman" is due soon. These kits really show their age compared with current models, but they are easy to build and they are "true" 1/32nd scale. They are still too small to display with K&C but look great next to Airfix soft plastic or Multipose figures and figures of similar size.

Hopefully Revell-Monogram will release some more of these fellows in the future. The M3 is currently in stock at the Squadron Shop (www.squadron.com)

Gary B.

Actually, I would build them again, in a minute! I'm a nostalgia builders, and I'm currently working through a stash that includes many of the 1/48 aircraft by Monogram (and some Lindberg, Aurora, Pyro, etc).

Those kits were much improved over their original 1/32 subjects (the Jeep and 37mm field piece, the US halftrack and the Weasel), especially for the figures.

And they represent my first experience with different scales for different manufacturers. When I started buying Tamiya kits, I saw that the figures were smaller than the ones in the Monogram boxes. I learned the difference between 1/35 and 1/32 that way.

And everyone remembers fondly Shep Paine's "Tips on Building Dioramas" that were packaged with those kits.

Yes, it takes me back....

Prosit!
Brad

I share both of your nostalgia warm and fuzzies. The Monogram 1/32 Wirbelwind was my 1st attempt at models building.Spent a whopping $3.00 for it { Big bucks when you're 11} and recall trying to get the camo done right was the hardest part. Not long after those kits came reboxed with images of the finished model on the box and the Shep Paine booklets.
Been fascinated with models and figures ever since.
Most of the Monograms went the way of the pellet rifle, firecrackers and other incendiary devices we managed to come up with on summer afternoons when the shop was open and the old man was at work.
I recollected almost all of them in the last 10 years or so including a platoons worth of PZ4's, the Jagdpanzer, Ostwind and wirbelwind and BRUMBAR.Havent come across the
8 wheeled armored car but will snag one if reissued, as well as the Grant, for use in my Burma wargames. Great stuf.

Fub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back