Mountford Artillery (1 Viewer)

blaster

Captain
Having watched some of the treefroggers having fun with their big guns, I went thru my grey hoard and unearthed these kits which I will be fixing up and displaying.

P1130355.JPGP1130356.JPGP1130357.JPG

Having watched some of the treefroggers having fun with their big guns, I went thru my grey hoard and unearthed these kits which I will be fixing up and displaying.

Victor,

better watch out ...Luiz may make you an offer you can't refuse, he's always looking out for those maker's guns :)

I've painted a couple of sets for the 3.7" Howitzer with Indian crew :

37NWF.jpg

37.jpg

and some Norderfeldt Guns too, but with Royal Navy crew.

Looking forward to seeing yours come to life .

John

{sm4}{sm4}.....John...
If space was not an issue...I would be tempted..
These are great sets, they should be taken care of very nicely, given that Dave Love is no longer making them and no one has come up with a decent replacement...Any sets are precious to the eye of the collector....
As to my standing artillery park.....^&grin
>The three 3.7" Howitzer gun section I already have gives a nice idea as to what those batteries were in their days of glory.....
>75`s.... Mon Dieu.....in my last count and with what is still in the pipeline .... I will have more of those pieces than 13 and 18 pdrs summed togehter....{sm3}{sm3}..They are servicing the French Metropolitan Army, Foreign Legion and very soon ( going your way ) the representatives of the US Army in WW1.....
>Nordenfelts...temping {sm4}....but given my inclination to Second Sudan War...Maximums are my preferred widow maker.....:cool::cool:

Victor...great hoard and make sure to give them a great dio....garrions are easy to get if you consider scale link as the provider....the sets available are just the scale and you can still apply some of your great scratch building abilities....
For the Nordenfelt you make have to scratch build a bit......

Cheers,

And happy collecting to us all.....

Luiz

Victor,

better watch out ...Luiz may make you an offer you can't refuse, he's always looking out for those maker's guns :)

I've painted a couple of sets for the 3.7" Howitzer with Indian crew :

View attachment 226767

View attachment 226768

and some Norderfeldt Guns too, but with Royal Navy crew.

Looking forward to seeing yours come to life .

John

Hello John and Luiz,

thanks for you inputs. Scalelink it is then.

I was studying the work on the mountain gun. That is very subtle painting without obscuring the fine details on the castings. I definitely am outclassed and outgunned here ...:)

If you can't be good, be different...:)

So it looks like following:

Scenarios:
I am limited to Indian troops for the mountain gun?
French 75 - French army, Foreign Legion and US army?
Nordenfelts - Sudan only?

Is there any other way to represent artillery other than being deployed R4 action or towed? Just thinking of various ways to do up the guns. The gunners seem to have it easy here. I want them grunting and heaving the guns....:):):)

Rgds Victor

Hi Victor,

Use of scale link; Ideal if you plan to picture the mountain gun and 75 as WW1 pieces.
Furthermore, if you plan to use the 75 as a WW2 piece the scale link sets are still a " workable" solution ( with minor changes ) for the French. For other countries that used the 75, you will have to check how to adapt the scale link sets. A lucky aspect is that after WW1 many countries adopted the Adrian helmet and the French style of uniform ( with minor changes - here your scratch building expertise will be invaluable ).
Scenarios:
>No, you are not limited to Indian troops for the mountain gun.....I myself in my battery have two manned by Indian garrisons and one by British. The pictures were of Indian garrisons due to the wide use of this piece in the Northwestern Frontier, due to its firepower and ease of " breaking it down" into parts to be carried by mules.
> 75´s were widely used by many countries, I just chose to use them for the French and American Armies. It is just a question of running a quick check and you will see how many other European countries bougth the 75 ( Poland, Belgium for example ).....And with this piece you can even stretch into WW2! It is true that in WW2 many 75s were given pneumatic wheels so as to be pulled my motor tractors ....but a huge number still had spoked wheels. So here you have a lot of opportunities for a scratch builing project...
>Nordenfelts: They were iconic during the Sudan campaigns, and were widely used throughout the late 1890´s and early 1900´s eventhough gradually supersided by the Maxim....Many countries adopted the gun. Our references to the Naval garrisons is due to the fact that they were in use by many navies as close defense for the ships ( in those days the drill in Naval warefare was that " boarding parties was still a means of attacking each others ships ") so these machineguns as well as gatlings were placed at stratigic positions on the ships so as to repell these attacks {sm4}{sm4}. These guns were also used by Naval landing parties on light carriages ( like the one you have ) to supplement the fire power of the Marines as they would go offshore to settle any scores with rough warlords throughtout the Empire.....and more...:eek:
The only consideration you will have here is: if chosing to have them as part of Naval landing parties scratch build the sailors uniforms for the garrisons, or keep an eye to a Mountford set of sailors and buy them ( a few weeks ago one was at sale on e-bay! ). Or chose to have the gun manned by Marines or regular army units ( usually they would have been artillery or cavalry ).
>Ways to represent the gun...usually we have them in action. The 75s can be shown being pulled, and for that you will need cassions, at least two in the case of the 75s...Check the forum as I recall sometime ago one of the members did produce a nice dio of a 75 being pulled by horses...Of the two necessary cassions, Mountford, Britains and a company in New Zealand ( International soldiers ? maybe ) used to offer the ammo one.....attached a few pics.
As to the disassembled mountian gun on mules ( I have added a picture here....If you have the necessary mules I can send you pics as how the different parts would have been carried )....If you plan that, Asset would be the compnay to, so as to by nice mules...of what is being offered I consider them the best.
Last but not least, I found very old stock picture from the old Mountford series showing three types of machineguns ( Nordenfelts and Gardners ) on Naval mounts....

Hope to have helped...
Cheers
Luiz

Hello John and Luiz,

thanks for you inputs. Scalelink it is then.

I was studying the work on the mountain gun. That is very subtle painting without obscuring the fine details on the castings. I definitely am outclassed and outgunned here ...:)

If you can't be good, be different...:)

So it looks like following:

Scenarios:
I am limited to Indian troops for the mountain gun?
French 75 - French army, Foreign Legion and US army?
Nordenfelts - Sudan only?

Is there any other way to represent artillery other than being deployed R4 action or towed? Just thinking of various ways to do up the guns. The gunners seem to have it easy here. I want them grunting and heaving the guns....:):):)

Rgds Victor

Attachments

• 298.JPG
    298.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 302.JPG
    302.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_5105.JPG
    IMG_5105.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 2189.jpg
    2189.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2505.JPG
    IMG_2505.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Hi Luiz,

I will need time (and money) to digest all that you have written...:).

I found an old WWI trench scene featuring a modified Scalelink figure (doughboy) and a Chauchat mg. Finally getting round to finishing it. After posing the figure with the left arm resting on the mg, I have resculpted the right arm to tip his hat.

P1130364.JPGP1130373.JPGP1130379.JPG

Hi Victor,

:salute:::salute:::salute::

Do check on the e-mail I sent you regarding a garrison for the Nordenfelt....I think this is an easy one!
Nice little WW1 US Army vignet........
Cheers
Luiz

Hi Luiz,

I will need time (and money) to digest all that you have written...:).

I found an old WWI trench scene featuring a modified Scalelink figure (doughboy) and a Chauchat mg. Finally getting round to finishing it. After posing the figure with the left arm resting on the mg, I have resculpted the right arm to tip his hat.

View attachment 227045View attachment 227046View attachment 227047

Great Gun!
Do consider assembling it....
You will need Superior Model German Artillery soldiers to make up the garrison ( they show up now and then on eBay )..or could try Dragon on 1:35!
At the time of the pictures, I did not have the correct Superior Model supplied garrison at the correct scale so I manned the guns with a mix of K&C and JJDs.
The idea is to between the end of 2018 and 2019 to have the correct garrisons in place...I have bought up all the necessary soldiers now it is a question that they need to travel to downunder.....{sm3}{sm3}
These here were assembled by John....

Just sneaking in this Hinchcliffe kit WW2...:)

Attachments

• 150_towing.jpg
    150_towing.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 283
  • extras.jpg
    extras.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 284
  • image002 (21).jpg
    image002 (21).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 282
  • image002 (22).jpg
    image002 (22).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 276
  • image002 (25).jpg
    image002 (25).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 382
Hi Luiz,

Ok. I know when I have been outgunned. That is a beautifully assembled and painted model you have. I am not sure where I go from here with this WWII model. Better hunker down and get back to my WWI smaller peashooters...:):):)

Now, where did I put the minenwerfer?

Rgds
Victor

Here's the figure with the sculpted arm. I've added some groundwork to the base as well.

IMG_0422.jpg

:salute:::salute::{sm4}Great Spirit Victor!
As to the assembly and painting of the guns..all merit goes to John!
If you plan to have at least one WW2 piece of artillery in your collection...do consider this great example of Gerry Divisional Artillery! It is a great sample of the Krupp engineering!
Get those guns rolling.......The larger the caliber the bigger the damage ......^&grin^&grin
Feel free to drop a note or question...If I cannot answer John for sure will have it......
Cheers
Luiz

Hi Luiz,

Ok. I know when I have been outgunned. That is a beautifully assembled and painted model you have. I am not sure where I go from here with this WWII model. Better hunker down and get back to my WWI smaller peashooters...:):):)

Now, where did I put the minenwerfer?

Rgds
Victor

Here's the figure with the sculpted arm. I've added some groundwork to the base as well.

View attachment 227111

Yes - whenever you find yourself stuck in a trench with a gun that is prone to jamming if you look at it sideways, it makes sense to always look your best in a soft-hat, and keep tipping it - for luck! :rolleyes:

Nice one Vic ;) jb

The doughboy is probably of Irish-American descent...:)

I built up the sandbags to stand the figure properly and added some colours here and there.

P1130404.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back