My opinion on French old guard foot artillery future release. (1 Viewer)

Mastercom10

Registered Member
I was first of all very pleased to hear that First Legion was going to release new napoleonic figures such the French old guard foot artillery.
But I don't buy them, except perhaps the 12 lb field gun, because once again the splendor of napoleonic full dress uniforms prevailed over
historical reality.
Effectively, all gunner crews are in full dress uniform logically worn only for parades or demonstrations in front of officers or generals.
On a battle ground during real fighting it is almost certain that men wear a campaign dress ( and especially for artillery tasks ! ).
To confirm this, we have now since decades serious authors and books that deal with this subject.
It's just my feeling but I think it is a good thing that manufacturers have our collector opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. I as well typically prefer a more "campaign" style dress for most Napoleonic French - and i think that is exhibited through most of our releases. However, at Borodino, the Old Guard wore Parade Dress (Wagram as well) and those are some of the Battles these figures are most appropriate for. These figures were specifically made with 1812 and even more specifically Borodino in mind. So Parade dress it is.

That being said, there are certainly merits to both. To me, in larger battle dioramas, Campaign dress provides a better look. Full dress generally make for more beautiful figures. But in this case for Borodino, if we made them in Campaign dress other people would point out that at Borodino the Guard were Parade Dress. ****ed if you do, as they say.

Perhaps we should notate in the description that these figures, while appropriate for other battles, were specifically made for Borodino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back