NAP0098 - French 61st Line Mounted Colonel (1 Viewer)

FirstLegion

Sergeant Major
Here are a few shots of the paint master of our NAP0098 French 61st Line Infantry Mounted colonel. This figure should be available for pre-order in January and will provide much needed Regimental leadership to our 61st Line Infantry figures!

Enjoy!

nap00981.jpg

nap00982.jpg

nap00983.jpg

Regards,

Matt
First Legion Ltd

Thanks for the photo update Matt. This is an impressive horse and the rider is not too shabby either.:D I look forward to ordering one for my mob.

I collect very little Napoleonic, just because I focus on other areas, but I have been looking at your website, and I am so impressed with your figures. I think this horse is spectacular and is on my wish list!! I kind of like your bases but can see why others think they are hard to arrange in a battle scene. However, I love the way this one works as a stand alone figure base - very realistic ground.:eek:

I collect very little Napoleonic, just because I focus on other areas, but I have been looking at your website, and I am so impressed with your figures. I think this horse is spectacular and is on my wish list!! I kind of like your bases but can see why others think they are hard to arrange in a battle scene. However, I love the way this one works as a stand alone figure base - very realistic ground.:eek:

First, thanks for your kind words on our figures.

It's funny that folks would think our figures are had to arrange into a battle scene. On the contrary, I feel our figures are perfect to arrange in a battle scene it's just that the battle scenes that collectors tend to arrange (from what I've seen in images) don't look very realistic (to me!). Napoleonic units fought in close order formation and thus a battle scene should usually have all of the figures very close to one another (i.e. in base to base contact) and the figures in a unit on a display should really all be doing small variations of the same thing (for example, firing line or advancing). Further, most battles were fought on open fields. Thus, our figures are designed to be setup next to one another and in base to base contact and with a high quality display board that matches the grass and painting color of our bases (perhaps we should manufacturer these?). The ideal result is that the figure bases blend in with the display board as everything matches and thus they don't stand out as much. What I typically see in a display is figures loosely placed all over the place each doing their own thing and not in any formation at all. To me, that's just not realistic at all for the Napoleonic Battlefield.

To me, a battle scene display should look something like this (albeit with enemies of course!):

bavarianbattleline.jpg

40mmbavariansandfrench2.jpg

They should reflect a close order formation, in this case a Bavarian Firing line with skirmishers deployed out in front, opposite an enemy formation perhaps charging at them or marching or advancing or what have you. Perhaps in line formation, perhaps in attack column. What I don't think you'd see on the typical Napoleonic battlefield, with exceptions of course, is just randomly, loosely placed figures running all over doing their own thing. Typical Napoleonic engagements took place between close order units who advanced to within musket range and started shooting each other. One side or the other might then advance towards the other and if they continued advancing after the defender delivered a close range volley, the defender would typically retreat. Often the attack would falter and once forward momentum was stopped, it was usually near impossible to get it started again. It was only the very rare occasion that units actually collided with one another and engaged in melee. Collectors tend to setup their displays for the rare circumstance rather than the norm, and are of course free to do so, but to me it's not very reminscent of a Napleonic battle scene barring the fighting that took place in built up areas or other broken ground.

Of course, everyone is free to do as they choose. ;)

Regards,

Matt
First Legion Ltd

First, thanks for your kind words on our figures.

It's funny that folks would think our figures are had to arrange into a battle scene. On the contrary, I feel our figures are perfect to arrange in a battle scene it's just that the battle scenes that collectors tend to arrange (from what I've seen in images) don't look very realistic (to me!). Napoleonic units fought in close order formation and thus a battle scene should usually have all of the figures very close to one another (i.e. in base to base contact) and the figures in a unit on a display should really all be doing small variations of the same thing (for example, firing line or advancing). Further, most battles were fought on open fields. Thus, our figures are designed to be setup next to one another and in base to base contact and with a high quality display board that matches the grass and painting color of our bases (perhaps we should manufacturer these?). The ideal result is that the figure bases blend in with the display board as everything matches and thus they don't stand out as much. What I typically see in a display is figures loosely placed all over the place each doing their own thing and not in any formation at all. To me, that's just not realistic at all for the Napoleonic Battlefield.

Of course, everyone is free to do as they choose. ;)

.....Matt
First Legion Ltd
Well I agree that your figures are easy to arrange in battle scenes but I would not go so far as to say that it is not realistic to arrange them in something other than base side to base side contact. While it appears true that the major battles were fought in open fields with line formations, there were many minor encounters to every major one and many of those were fought with less disciplined or more ad hoc formations from what I can tell. There is no problem accommodating either with your bases and for more variation in position in the lines you just have to spread the distance between figures slightly to accommodate the 90 degree angles of the bases. Frankly any base shape is a compromise and even the long ovals also require some variation in the spacing between figures as you try and place them so I think the squares work as well as anything and look just fine if you place them in more individualistic situations.;)

Well, my criticism of the bases was not my own but just an aside from reading what a few others said. On the whole I do like your bases, and they do set you apart. I also agree that they look great in large formations. Actually, I think what sets you apart even more though is the quality of the figures. They really do look superb!! In my opinion, you are offering St. Petersburg quality or better at a much better value. It is seeing your photos of the large, close formations that has interested me in buying some of your figures.

there were many minor encounters to every major one and many of those were fought with less disciplined or more ad hoc formations from what I can tell.

Someone's been watching too much Sharpe. :D

Seriously, though, what I had meant moreso than just figure bases physically touching or not is the concept of all of the guys being close together and doing small variants of the same thing rather than running around all over the place each figure as an individual. The latter is suitable for things like the fighting at Hougoumont perhaps, while the former is more applicable for most other battlefield situations. Really, if the units break close order formation, the most realistic things for them to be doing would be either skirmishing or running away!

As I said, to each his own of course and I do understand what you mean about base facing. I was just basing my comments on the fact that our figures are designed both in quantity and pose variation to be setup in large realistic battlefield displays and dioramas and I find it interesting that anyone would think they aren't suitable for what they were in fact designed for! I guess the downside to it is that you really need a LOT of the figures to in fact display them as they were designed. :eek:

Someone's been watching too much Sharpe. :D
Well I would like to replicate Sharpe but I need you to give me the Rifles first.:cool: Besides, it is not possible to watch too much Sharpe.;) :D

Seriously, though, what I had meant moreso than just figure bases physically touching or not is the concept of all of the guys being close together and doing small variants of the same thing rather than running around all over the place each figure as an individual. The latter is suitable for things like the fighting at Hougoumont perhaps, while the former is more applicable for most other battlefield situations. Really, if the units break close order formation, the most realistic things for them to be doing would be either skirmishing or running away!
I would generally agree but to me the skirmshing and small unit chance encounters are the most fun variations to display.

As I said, to each his own of course and I do understand what you mean about base facing. I was just basing my comments on the fact that our figures are designed both in quantity and pose variation to be setup in large realistic battlefield displays and dioramas and I find it interesting that anyone would think they aren't suitable for what they were in fact designed for! I guess the downside to it is that you really need a LOT of the figures to in fact display them as they were designed. :eek:
A LOT indeed. Of course that is problem for depicting the major battles of the period.;) It is just that getting many of your figures is so appealing.:cool: The trouble is the more you get the better they look.:eek::D

Actually, I don't think you need a lot of figures to make a display work well. Just the one mounted figure pictured earlier in this thread on its own would make a great display! You can also add a picture of a Napoleonic battle scene as a background to this figure. I've seen this done by other collectors and it looks outstanding! You can also add, when your budget permits, a flagbearer, a drummer, and several marching or advancing figures to this display later on.

Great figure, the horse looks incredible! Thanks for the update and keep them coming! :)

Actually, I don't think you need a lot of figures to make a display work well. Just the one mounted figure pictured earlier in this thread on its own would make a great display! You can also add a picture of a Napoleonic battle scene as a background to this figure. I've seen this done by other collectors and it looks outstanding! You can also add, when your budget permits, a flagbearer, a drummer, and several marching or advancing figures to this display later on.

Great figure, the horse looks incredible! Thanks for the update and keep them coming! :)
Oh I agree. I didn't say you needed a lot; I said you would want a lot.:D

Thus, our figures are designed to be setup next to one another and in base to base contact and with a high quality display board that matches the grass and painting color of our bases (perhaps we should manufacturer these?). The ideal result is that the figure bases blend in with the display board as everything matches and thus they don't stand out as much. First Legion Ltd

Matt, perhaps you have a recommendation where to get/how to make a display that does match the grass and painting color of the figure's base?

Matt, perhaps you have a recommendation where to get/how to make a display that does match the grass and painting color of the figure's base?

As for colors, you'll just have to eyeball it. Just remember, the base coat isn't dark. It's basically a brown color (not too much red, more a tan brown) highlighted by lighter tan with a final very light dry brush of a sand color. As for the grass, get NOCH or similar late summer meadow. You can get it mail order from Scenic Express.

Apply the grass and when it's dry, use a ochre or yelllow drybrush highlight on it to tone it down a bit. It's really very simple and quite quick. I've been using the same technique on my wargames figures for years and decided that it just looks a lot better than the painted toy soldier bases you see other companies make.

It's pretty easy to create a terrain board that matches the figure bases. See the image below - I created this board in just a few hours and I hope you'll agree that it matches our figures pretty well. If any of you are interested in how to create a very simple, fast, and inexpensive board like this, let me know and I'll post detailed instructions at some point and put them on our website.

Though I'm showing the Bavarians below, they're really not a good example of the shades of our base colors because they are by far the darkest base colors we've produced. All of our other figures have lighter base colors, but these are the only images I have that show the figures on a grass board made to match them! The best way to go is to just look at the colors on some of our figure bases in the flesh and then match the colors along with the summer meadow grass.

skirmishers with sargeant 2.jpg

Bavarians Skirmishing
bavarianbattleline.jpg

Bavarian Line of Battle

artillery2.jpg

French Line Artillery

If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Regards,

Matt
First Legion Ltd

Thank you, Matt. Sounds like a project I would like to try.

I personally think it would be a good idea to give some modeling advice on your site to the extent it is specific to your figures.

... together with some background on the figures (as discussed previously). This background could include a recommendation for combining units - like Westphalian Jaegers with French Line Infantry for Borodino?

Thank you, Matt. Sounds like a project I would like to try.

I personally think it would be a good idea to give some modeling advice on your site to the extent it is specific to your figures.

... together with some background on the figures (as discussed previously). This background could include a recommendation for combining units - like Westphalian Jaegers with French Line Infantry for Borodino?

I think I'll go ahead and do this then by creating a small article for the site about creating terrain boards to match our figures. I was actually considering producing boards to match our figures commercially, so if this is something any of you are interested in as well, let me know. I definitely need to do the historical background section, particularly as you mention some advice as to how to combine the units we produce into historical displays.

In regards to the Westphalians and French Line Infantry, yes, they are meant to go together. They also go with the Wurttemberg Jaegers and Wurttemberg Line Infantry. All of these units were involved in the assault on the Fleches at Borodino. The 61st Line/85th Line/57th Line and Wurttemberg Jaegers/Murat fought directly in and around the fleches while the Westphalian Jaegers were skirmishing in the woods directly bordering the fleches to the south protecting the right flank. So really, all of these units were released in mind to be used in a single large display. Further, once we get some of our new figures out and available, such as the Russians, there are countless other actions that the figures are equally suitable for. I know one display I want to do is for Dresden in 1813 featuring a French Artillery battery supported by infantry in a redoubt with the walled city of the Alstadt behind it being attacked by Russians and other allied troops.

I realize this short description isn't what's required from a website perspective, however, I have to confess that I've been waiting for us to have all of the figures ready to complete some of these displays before writing such articles so that I can accompany them with photographs. I am planning on writing several articles for the magazines and website covering various battles with our figures, but we need to get the figures released before we can do this of course!

Regards,

Matt

I was actually considering producing boards to match our figures commercially, so if this is something any of you are interested in as well, let me know.

:eek:

I am a little embarrassed, but I would certainly be interested. I am assuming you are considering something like the board you used for the Bavarians? Possibly in modular form so that (a) it can be extended once even more figures are available and/or (b) it can be disassembled and removed in the event the board(s) has reached monstrous proportions and need to be stored in parts to allow for day-to-day activities to take place?

:rolleyes:

:eek:

I am a little embarrassed, but I would certainly be interested. I am assuming you are considering something like the board you used for the Bavarians? Possibly in modular form so that (a) it can be extended once even more figures are available and/or (b) it can be disassembled and removed in the event the board(s) has reached monstrous proportions and need to be stored in parts to allow for day-to-day activities to take place?

:rolleyes:

Yes, similar to the Bavarian board in terms of quality and exactly like you say - fully modular with different terrain features (streams, roads, etc...). But much thinner than the Bavarian board for better storage and more durable than the one I created. I just don't know if there would be a market for it, however, it's been on my radar for quite some time now.

Regards,

Matt
First Legion Ltd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back