Napoleons birthplace corsica visit (1 Viewer)

9thHussar

Sergeant
Hi

I recently visited Corsica - to Ajaccio his town of birth, but I was surprised that I couldn't find any models of him and the 1st Empire soldiers in the many shops found there.

Strange really as the place was full of tourists straight off the cruise ships in the harbour. If anyone speaks French or Corsican then it might be a good place to open a Napoleonic model soldier souvenir shop???

Regards
Dave

I don't think Branau am Inn is big on Hitler memorabilia, either - though admittedly Boney comes out better on the scales. It does seem strange there isn't much note of a favorite son.

Hi

I recently visited Corsica - to Ajaccio his town of birth, but I was surprised that I couldn't find any models of him and the 1st Empire soldiers in the many shops found there.

Strange really as the place was full of tourists straight off the cruise ships in the harbour. If anyone speaks French or Corsican then it might be a good place to open a Napoleonic model soldier souvenir shop???

Regards
Dave

This may explain why: http://www.napoleon.org/en/magazine/itineraries/course/corse_parcoursone_english.asp?id=448687

Interesting article; I know for awhile as a young officer he toyed with the idea of "liberating" his home and even took leave a couple times to work for Corsican independence to the point I'm amazed he didn't get in trouble for his actions. But somewhere (and it's been a couple decades since I did this research so...) he lost interest and became totally dedicated to furthering his personal ambitions and career; perhaps because the Corsicans and Paoli didn't embrace him as he thought they should. The article, though necessarily brief, makes some interesting statements about Boney's relationship with his homeland. Great share, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back