Need help identifying Treasure Chest toy soldiers (1 Viewer)

MikeNick

Sergeant
Hi.

When I was much younger and much poorer, I picked up figures in bubble packs. Lately, I've been an inventory for insurance purchases and I noticed that some figures came in bubble packs but did not have the company name listed on the bubble. Then, I saw one of the figures in Norman Joplin's book Toy Soldiers on p. 16. I ran a search for the company called Treasure Chest, but I have found no leads. Can anyone help me with a list of figures or a site that would have identifying photos? I picked them up either in the now defunct wargame store in Atlanta or in Le Petit Toy Soldier Shop in New Orleans, the owner of which has now retired.
Thanks,
MikeNick

Pictures would help, but your description sounds very much like figures that were made in Hong Kong by a company called King-White, which were then distributed by various dealers. The Treasure Chest was one store that sold them, with their own label on the packages; Reeves International was another dealer that sold them.

There were vacuformed packs, consisting of a white bottom and a clear piece that fit over it, and also clear, hard plastic clamshell boxes, for individual figures. Mounted figures included a wooden base with holes drilled for pins cast in the horse's feet, and came in a cardboard sleeve, inside a hard, clear plastic box. They also used individual cardboard boxes.

King-White operated from around the early 70s till the mid-90s, and they are considered by some to be the first, best example of what became known as the "Chinese style" of finish--compare them especially to early King & Country and Frontline, and you can make comparisons about the styles.

There is an outfit now in Florida, Toy Soldier Factory, who have the molds now and are selling new castings and figures on eBay (seller id "toysoldierfactory"), as well as selling a CD version of the old Reeves catalog, which is a big help in identifying figures.

If you run a search here in the forum on "Reeves", you'll find some other threads and discussions of the line. There's a small but dedicated group of collectors out there. I like them because they represent a link between the age of the classic toy soldier and our contemporary, made-for-collector figures.

If you have some pictures, please do post them and let us see, and I hope that helps!

Prost!
Brad

I just checked in my copy of Norman's book, do you mean the figure on page 12, a wounded Confederate, rifle at the trail in his right hand, and supporting himself on the left side with a crutch? Then I think we're talking about the same figures. Though, Norman described Treasure Chest as a manufacturer, and I don't know if the Treasure Chest that I'm thinking of was a manufacturer in its own right, or merely a dealer/marketer of others' figures. Also, I don't think I've seen the figure in Norman's book in the Reeves (King-White) catalog.

Well, there are others in the forum who are also KW/Reeves collectors, and more knowledgeable than I--Tom Dubel, for example--so we'll soon have some more information, I'm sure.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back