New Ak sets.... (1 Viewer)

shark0636

Private 2
I may have missed it, but has there been any word on what is going to be in the new AK sets?

According to the latest news from Sierra, a 10.5cm cannon, 3 Ton ½ Track, a Captured Set, Rommel in a staff car. There will also apparently be something special known only to Andy.

As for Eighth Army, releases will include a Stuart Tank, Attack forces, Machine Gun teams and Minesweepers plus an Ambulance.

:( I Guess we were let down again, from k & C? We N. Africa Collector's, was hoping to get Italian Fighting Infantry; and a M-13/40 Tank, and possible an AB-41 Armored Car? Also, on the Eight Army Sets. no ( M-3 GRANT TANK---MKIII CRUSADER TANK); and NO SAS LRDG, Jeep, or Chevy Recon Truck? And NO MORTAR TEAMS, and NO 6th Pounder Gun Team? Well, maybe Britains, has mentioned he will be doing Afrika Korps, in 2006? We may get a better Deal with Britains?

Yeah there is a lot of stuff to be made in this series, but I don't think I want it all at one time, this series has a lot of room to grow, and frankly I am happy with the sets mentioned, as well as the mystery set, could be one that you mentioned. I think we will be quite pleased when we get photos of the coming sets, and I am sure we will get more sets later.

I Agree,can't possibly have all we want in one go.Far from being let down,the new sets i saw in London look superb.This is a range that i'm sure will grow and grow.Part of the fun of collecting K&C is buying what is released,we can't demand certain sets.Enjoy what we get,its all good!.

John,

These posts of yours just seem to continue to ignore reality and indulge in greater flights of fancy. Andy has been quite clear as to what, more or less, he was going to make for North Africa. However, you still continue to go and on. Instead of looking at the proverbial gift horse in the mouth, what we know is coming out looks pretty good to most of us.

You know that Andy wasn't going to make a Grant; he said that a long time ago. And so forth.

John, as I'm sure you know, the easiest way to attract bees is with honey, not vinegar.

Hi Guys,

Greetings from the “Pearl of the Orient”. As usual after perusing the many and varied “posts” on the forum here’s a few points and clarifications…

1. Colonial Militia Request

Sorry to disappoint “Shark 0636” on this one the next American Rev. releases will be a whole bunch of Continental Marines “in action”… three very different Woodland Indian “add-ons”… and three additional “Red coats” – also in action. Release date: April ’06.

I will eventually get round to Colonial Militia… German Mercenaries… Rev. War Cavalry – but it all takes time and trying to fit as much as possible for as many different collectors into a limited amount of time and factory production capacity.

2. New Afrika Korps

To avoid any confusion… 4 all-new sets to arrive early March ’06.

They are, as previously stated, the 10.5cm Field Howitzer with 5 man crew – in action.

The 3 ton 1/2 track with 2 crew (this can pull the gun) and a “Prisoner” set with a captured 8th Army officer being interrogated by 2 AK officers and an AK guard.

Finally, the first 100% all original “Strictly Limited” of ‘06 – Rommel’s Command Vehicle – The “GREIF” – this is a real beauty! The Desert Fox stands inside his vehicle, next to him seated is his radio operator. On the outside is a standing Afrika Korps soldier saluting.

I will be sending photos of these AK items at the end of the month.

On a related point whilst I am always sorry to disappoint any K&C collector who has their “wish list” of what they would like to see I have to run a business as a business… I’ve said this before - I’ll say it again… If I had to run K&C the way Mr.Gambale “dictates” I’d be out of business in record time and then no one would get anything.

At K&C we do our level best to produce products people want to collect over a pretty wide range of historical subjects and eras. That demands a spread of different items at regular intervals throughout the entire year. It also means trying not to bankrupt either ourselves or our collectors at the same time with a “flood” of new items.

A lot of careful planning and thought goes into what we do, how we do it… and when we do it.

Believe me at K&C, after over 20 years, very, very little is left to chance.

So, John sorry to let you down yet again but…

Well that’s enough out of me for one “post”. Speak to you soon!

Best wishes and … happy collecting.

Andy C.

The DAK models are what finally got me into K&C and these new releases sound excellent. It's a fantastic range to collect and from the sound of it just gets better and better.

Thanks for answering the question on the colonial militia, while I am a little disappointed......just a little though, about no colonial militia, the marines sound interesting and I can always use more red coats. I am collecting most of the major lines WW2, American Revolution, Egypt, and may even dive into the immense Napoleonic collection offered by King & Country, but I am going to finish off my other sets before I do that. Well since I love all the war eras, K&C has kept me busy adding to the many different lines, I have a long way to go to get everything I want, and with a wife and kids, it may take awhile. I know Andy and his fine company will keep producing "fine works of art" I call them, and I will eventually get all I could ask for, just like many others. As for John Gamble, keep the dreams alive of seeing some of the things you mentioned, don't settle for second best with some other company, because when King and Country gets around to making some of the things you want, they will be the best out there.

I can't wait either for the Greif!

Attachments

• greif2.jpg
    greif2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 75
Are pictures of the new AK series out somewhere?
Gary

Isn't "Grief" German for Gazelle? Or maybe its Griffin? I don't remember. I learned what little German I have from a good friend of mine who is a retired Army Major (now a Lt.Colonel in the reserves) who was in the Berlin Brigade and later stationed at a little base just outside Heidelberg. He had a really cool collection of USSR Military Hats and Badges which he swapped stuff for when in the Berlin Brigade. I'm not mentioning his name because early on, when K&C stuff wasn't worth its weight in platinum, I bought him a couple of sets to put on his desk: The Arnhem Ambulance Jeep pulling the Arnhem Quartermaster's Trailer set. I don't want the poor guy being kept up at night by phonecalls from you sharks, or Brad trying to break into his office. Brad, du bis verucht!

Louis,
Greif actually has a few meanings to include Griffin. Rommel's Greif means Attack. Rommel's book "Infanterie greift an" translates to "Infantry Attacks."

I'm currently translating one of Ramcke's books from German to English. What a project! As a kid my Austrian mother only spoke to me in German and my American father in English but I'm finding out that even with German translation software that this is a major undertaking. Unlike most English words that may have two to three meanings, German words often have ten to twenty meanings.

Haben Sie einen wunderbaren Tag.
Semper Fi!
Rick

Andy has indicated that pictures of the new Afrika Korps sets will be available in about a month.

Too late, Louis.....

Rick,

I think that's why German is such a great language for philosophers (as is Greek and Latin). Also, in German you can tack two or more words together to create words with complex meanings like "befindlikite" (moodedness or attunedness) "Dasein" (literally "being there", meaning in Heidegerian Philosophy experiencing the physical world), "Mitsein" (literally "being with", for phenomenological philosophers experiencing the world with others) and Zeitgeist (spirit-world). That's why I find what little I know so fascinating. I wish I understood enough of the language to undertake a translation project like yours.

And Brad, late is better than never.

Regards,

Louis

The Greif

A quick search revealed this about the Greif:

A light armoured personnel carrier was developed by putting armour on the 1-ton half-track and the official name of this vehicle was Sd.kfz 250. The front armour was 14.5mm thick and the side armour was 8mm thick. It had one pair of track rollers less than the original vehicle as the first torsion bar shaft had been removed to reduce the vehicles weight. The Sd.Kfz 250 was remodelled into various vehicles. The most famous half-track of them all was the Sd.Kfz 250/3 Greif which was used by General Rommel in North Africa and was used in the battle of Tobruk in June 1942. The word "Greif", in English "Griffin" was painted on its sides to represent the winged animal of Greek mythology.

This site may be slightly interesting also, http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/8141/halftracks.html

Louis,
I know what you mean about the Germans adding words together. Try translating Himmelfahrtskommando into English using the software programs that are geared more to business or legal work.

I find myself spending hours just breaking down words and running them piece by piece through translation dictionaries. Even different translation dictionaries will give you different answers. When all else fails, I run the translation through my mother which usually makes me more confused than when I started.

Brad,
You explanation of the GREIF makes more sense than mine. There were at least two other Sd.Kfz 250’s used as Command vehicles by the Afrika Korps: ADLER (Eagle) and IGEL (Hedgehog) so it’s logical that that Griffin follows suite.

By the way, for those of you who give a rat’s behind, Himmelfahrtskommando doesn't mean something that Herr Himmel would do on a full stomach, it means suicide mission.

Semper Fi!
Rick

At last year's symposium, Andy debued the Battle of Berlin and Woodland Indian stuff. I wonder what he will bring this year . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back