New Highlanders in acton pics posted @ wmhocker.com (1 Viewer)

ozziep9

Private 1st Class
FYI, we've posted some pictures of our old Britains Highlanders in action at wmhocker.com under "Dispatches" - Alexander Jordan

Enjoy!
-ozziep9

Snap! - johnnybach

GordonsatKhyber.jpg

A similar thing done with some castings - with a backdrop of the Khyber Pass. Great fun to do - a few at a time - but provides great play value at very low cost. I don't mind my Grandson playing with these, as they are easy to re-touch or replace. johnnybach^&grin

That is a pretty darn neat picture! Are those Gordon Highlanders originally made/from The Toy Soldier Company of New York City? They have a very large online catalog (mostly plastic toy soldiers) but a neat selection of Britains-reproduction toy soldiers.

Hi Ozzie. No, they aren't American at all. They are from Dorset Soldiers in the UK. I buy them as castings - and neaten them up and sometimes modify them (adding bases etc) and then paint them up to what I hope is "best Britains" standard.

I simply love these old figures - so when I looked up the Wm Hocker site - I was delighted to find another kindred spirit! johnnybach^&grin

We too use Dorset Soldiers of England for all of our old Britains repairs/conversions (and then repaint the figures ourselves). Dorset Soldiers does fantastic toy soldier-repair-conversion work. Many of these Britains-conversions we sell on ebay (this week included) under the ebay seller name: ozziep9

Good to hear that you know about the wonderful resource that Giles Browne of Dorset Soldiers offers. I visited his premises just a week or so ago to collect some bits and pieces and a have a chat - and production of more "spare parts" was going ahead at its usual pace.

Giles told me that he is actually in the process of buying and fitting out a new shop at the foot of the hill that goes up to his "factory" - and is hoping to open up a proper display area there in the Spring (the factory space is a tad cramped for display purposes). So watch out for that.

Anyone who has a broken old soldier to repair - or like me, likes to do it themselves, really ought to be aware of the marvelous substitute parts service Giles offers. As you rightly say Ozzie, his repair work is outstanding - and you would be hard pressed to know that a repair had been done with the finished product.

He now has laptop facilities on-site too - so if you have a query about a spare part - or figure in his range, you can frequently get a reply very quickly indeed.

Find his catalogue on www.dorsetsoldiers.com

Or e-mail queries on sales@dorsetsoldiers.com

Pleased you like my attempts too............ Pure nostalgia for me .............Here's another shot of my "growing" Regiment ......johnnybach

GordonsFSc1890-1.jpg

Last edited:
Good to hear that you know about the wonderful resource that Giles Browne of Dorset Soldiers offers. I visited his premises just a week or so ago to collect some bits and pieces and a have a chat - and production of more "spare parts" was going ahead at its usual pace.

Giles told me that he is actually in the process of buying and fitting out a new shop at the foot of the hill that goes up to his "factory" - and is hoping to open up a proper display area there in the Spring (the factory space is a tad cramped for display purposes). So watch out for that.

Anyone who has a broken old soldier to repair - or like me, likes to do it themselves, really ought to be aware of the marvelous substitute parts service Giles offers. As you rightly say Ozzie, his repair work is outstanding - and you would be hard pressed to know that a repair had been done with the finished product.

He now has laptop facilities on-site too - so if you have a query about a spare part - or figure in his range, you can frequently get a reply very quickly indeed.

Find his catalogue on www.dorsetsoldiers.com

Or e-mail queries on sales@dorsetsoldiers.com

Pleased you like my attempts too............ Pure nostalgia for me .............Here's another shot of my "growing" Regiment ......johnnybach

GordonsFSc1890-1.jpg

Nice photo! I got the "Joplin" book also.
"Iron Brigade"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back