New M36 Jackson Tank Destroyer Kicks Butt! (1 Viewer)

Okay all,

How about a few pix of K&C's new M36 Jackson. She's my first K&C U.S. armor and a real beauty. While other await the all popular Fury (a bit disappointed that I could not acquire before Christmas), the new M36 takes 2nd. Pictured with a few of K&C's newer figures (Saunders and Dye); an older tank crew adds to the scene.

M36 Jackson Tank Destroyer (1) by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

M36 Jackson Tank Destroyer (2) by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

M36 Jackson Tank Destroyer (3) by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

PROS
  • Turning turret (perhaps a given)
  • Removal and rotating machine gun (rests level in hole)
  • Nice detailing including some non-removable gear, helmets, and extra treads
  • Heavy (I like 'em heavy)

CONS
  • Barrel does not move up or down (set in place)
  • A bit tricky to place/balance any figure in the open turret (which I think most would want to do)
  • White stars on each side of turret mostly covered by gear packs (minor con but at least they can be partially seen)
  • It would have also been nice to see the two new tank crew sets available with this tank (will have to wait for January or future dispatches but at least they're coming. I opted for some additional tank riders available now)

SUGGESTION FOR COLLECTORS
DD236 Tank Back-Pack Set is a nice addition to this vehicle. The middle pack pictured below can be positioned at an angle in front of the tank without falling off. My 3rd picture above shows it placed on the tank. One pack can be rested toward the back of the tank (behind the turret) but will not allow much turret movement due to the height of the packs.

DD236.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS
I'm very pleased with K&C's new M36 Tank Destroyer. With extra gear attached, nice weathering, and the removable machine gun, the M36 is a fine beast. No figures keeps the price under $200 which I can appreciate. Would an included turret figure with binoculars have added to the quality or value, probably not. Overall, this was a great "early Christmas present".

Enjoy!

Last edited:
You forget the best "pro": the tracks are very well and clean, without the "earth" usually put in the KC tanks to make the track more resistant ( at least I see that from your photos).

Excellent pic's WO and I think the bottom 2 are your best. I have also purchased the Jackson and I agree with many of your pros and cons comments. Overall it's very well done and hopefully in the future we'll see a Bulge white washed Jackson as well.

Tom

Hello,
I really appreciate your feedbacks about this new tank. It could be useful to anyone who is in doubt to buy it in the future.:smile :smile2:

Maccoy

Thanks for the info WO and nice pictures. The M36 Jackson is on my purchase list.

Great diorama - wonderful pictures, and love the review method.

Thank you !

The packs, etc over the stars were quite common, or else the crews would paint them over or daub mud on them. Many crewmen in tanks etc felt the stars made an aiming point for the Germans.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

By the way, as a trivia note to all: "Jackson" may have ben on a list of approved names, but I have never seen any reference from WW2 or up to the later part of the 20th Century that uses that name. It was always an "M36".

Good review, thanks for that Western Outlaw. I am still waiting for my M36 to arrive in the Netherlands but i am sure i will not be dissapointed.....Just one point!!...please please, dont mention the word>>>BINOCULARS<<<I for one am sick and tired with the ever present KC norm of Tank Commander looking through a pair of binoculars!!. Give the guy a Thompson..Greasgun..1911 colt..Flare gun..Hands on turret leaning forward..Holding throat mike to talk..Closing/opening hatch..Climbing in or out of hatch..Sitting in hatch one leg inside hatch, other leg/foot on turret top.....How about a set of 3 guys loading shells into tank......are you getting the picture KC??. Anything but a guy looking through a pair of **** 8x30s!!!!!!!.

Steve

12370844_665345886901115_1722161256558345988_o.jpg

M36 Jackson tank destroyers of 703rd Tank Destroyer Battalion, attached to the US 82nd Airborne Division, en route to attack a German position near Werbomont, Belgium, 20 Dec 1944

Source United States Army Center of Military History

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I was wondering if anyone can chime in about how well figures actually fit in the turret? I usually prefer more action oriented displays and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting a figure or two to put in the turret or if I'm just better off getting some of the dismounted crew sets to go with it. Thanks!

Good review, thanks for that Western Outlaw. I am still waiting for my M36 to arrive in the Netherlands but i am sure i will not be dissapointed.....Just one point!!...please please, dont mention the word>>>BINOCULARS<<<I for one am sick and tired with the ever present KC norm of Tank Commander looking through a pair of binoculars!!. Give the guy a Thompson..Greasgun..1911 colt..Flare gun..Hands on turret leaning forward..Holding throat mike to talk..Closing/opening hatch..Climbing in or out of hatch..Sitting in hatch one leg inside hatch, other leg/foot on turret top.....How about a set of 3 guys loading shells into tank......are you getting the picture KC??. Anything but a guy looking through a pair of **** 8x30s!!!!!!!.

Steve

Great post, can we also have less Jerry cans with the white cross on them [to show they are carrying water]. Nearly all new sets have them.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I was wondering if anyone can chime in about how well figures actually fit in the turret? I usually prefer more action oriented displays and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting a figure or two to put in the turret or if I'm just better off getting some of the dismounted crew sets to go with it.
Hi Karaya,
I shot the below picture to give you a better idea. One kneeling figures fit okay but they are a bit tricky to position. You might be able to squeeze in one additional figure but I have not tried. The end of the large gun gets in the way, but I must say that I actually like the open turret on the Jackson for figure placement. Would like to know what you end up with.

Jackson Turret by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

Great post, can we also have less Jerry cans with the white cross on them [to show they are carrying water]. Nearly all new sets have them.
Thanks. I never really noticed the abundance of Jerry cans but many figures without bases seem to have ammo crates holding them up.

Here's a few pic's of my Jackson with crew standing behind it and i'll post a couple more pic's later today or tomorrow with the old BBA M10 Tank Destroyer crew in the M36 turret.

Tom

Attachments

• DSC05152.jpg
    DSC05152.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC05174.jpg
    DSC05174.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC05141.jpg
    DSC05141.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC05163.jpg
    DSC05163.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC05153.jpg
    DSC05153.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 193
Here's some pic's with a couple of BBA011 M10 Tank Destroyer crew in the Jackson turret.

Tom

Attachments

• DSC05756.JPG
    DSC05756.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC05760.JPG
    DSC05760.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC05761.JPG
    DSC05761.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC05770.JPG
    DSC05770.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 89
Thanks very much for the replies and pictures. The more I see of the M36 the more I like it!

Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back