News Update April 22, 2024 - Nubian Mercenaries (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
JJDESIGNS NEWS UPDATE 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] APRIL 2024
THE ANCIENTS
ARMIES AND ENEMIES OF THE NEW KINGDOM EGYPTIANS
NUBIAN MERCENARIES

NUB01-M.jpg

The country of Nubia was divided into distinct regions such as Yam, Irthet and Wawat, but all the peoples were known to the Egyptians as the “vile” Kush, which was the Egyptian name for the country.
These tribesmen were never any real threat to Egypt as they lacked any large scale organizations and were only at their best when actually fighting as auxiliaries in the Egyptian forces.
The success of the Egyptian infantry units was mainly due to the archery sections which were composed in the main, of Nubians.

NUB02-M.jpg

Nubia had been conquered during the Middle Kingdom, but fell to the king of Kush in the Hyksos period and was finally re-conquered during the New Kingdom. This secured the southern frontier and controlled the Nubian gold mines. Nubia was settled with Egyptian colonists in forts and “temple towns” and governed by a viceroy.

NUB03-M.jpg

Nubian troops had been an important part of the Egyptian army since the old Kingdom. Nubian tribes included the famous Medja who were regarded by the Egyptians as the best scouts and skirmishers. They were known for wearing leopard and lion skin kilts and had ostrich feathers in their hair.
The Medjway were very highly regarded by the Egyptians as they seemed to have a natural affinity for the military life.

NUB04-M.jpg

These figures will of course be suitable for the Trojan War series as King Memnon’s army.
Memnon was the King of the Ethiopians, who after the death of the Trojan warrior Hector, went to assist his uncle Priam, against the Greeks.
He arrived with a great army, and performed prodigies of valor, but was slain by the Greek hero Achilles.
According to tradition, Zeus , the king of the gods, was moved by the tears of Eos and bestowed immortality upon Memnon. His companions were changed into birds, called Memnonides, that came every year to fight and lament over his grave.

NUB05-M.jpg

Also added to the Pharaoh’s forces are a trio of additional archers.

NUB06-M.jpg

The Nubian archers should start to be available from August this year.

Best wishes,
john jenkins

Beautiful figures, but avoiding that rabbit hole. - They do make me all the more anxious to see some JJD ZULUS.

I was not going down this rabbit hole and now i am 95% in. These figures are beautiful

These Nubians are superb, very colorful, they will very well mark their difference within the Egyptian army as an ally...
In addition, these additional Egyptian archers are welcome to swell the ranks... varied and very natural poses...
For my part, I am delighted with the quality of these achievements...
This theme is developing quite well and I hope for more surprises!

Simply outstanding. A must for my collection. But then I say that all the time!

Furthermore the series is not complete since we have this set and perhaps this individual figure from the set on hold..
It looks like a lion skin version this time with different poses...
he should do the same for the Egyptian archers...
an individual archer shooting...

without counting on possible surprises...

NUL04-M.jpg

NUL05-M.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, here is the exact copy of one of the three figurines from (that I believed) the Nubians awaiting JJD set, presented in my previous post...
The interest of this image is that it does not show a Nubian but a Libyan archer..
The JJD set would therefore be Libyans and not Nubians, hence the white skin that could not be seen on his unpainted figurines......

LYBIAN WARRIOR.jpg

NUL04-M.jpg

this type of cape would therefore be a Libyan outfit and not a Nubian variant... it would therefore be a new auxiliary that JJD is developing...

Last edited:
Both types are fantastic. Which would fit better in the Trojan Wars?
Just wondering,
Paddy

yes, Memnon king of the Ethiopians (appears in the odyssey...) spontaneously presented himself to the Trojans to fight alongside them against the Greeks...
He is often represented on a two-horse chariot, topped with a war helmet...
Maybe JJD has this surprise in store for us... otherwise, what a shame..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back