News Update May 27th, 2024 - The Ancients (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
JJDESIGNS NEWS UPDATE 27[SUP]th[/SUP] MAY 2024
THE ANCIENTS
ARMIES AND ENEMIES OF GREECE AND MACEDONIA

THE ACHAEMENID PERSIAN ARMY
ACHAEMENID PERSIAN SCYTHED CHARIOT

The 4 horse scythed chariots were used by the later Achaemenid Persians.
Scythed chariots were drawn by four armoured horses and manned by a single armoured driver. It was important for the vehicle to build up speed, as they were vulnerable to swift pre-emptive attacks by light troops.
Once the chariot was galloping towards its target, the driver would often bail out for his own safety, which unfortunately made it likely that the horses would miss or shy away from the target.
If they did make contact, the chariots would cause immense damage but would more or less destroy themselves in the collision.
Generally formed infantry bodies could stand firm after such contact, unless the chariots were closely supported, which they all too often were not.
Cavalry might have been easier to break than solid infantry bodies, but were not used, perhaps because the cavalry could easily have avoided their charge.

01AP-M.jpg

Xenophon’s “Kyropaidia” provides us with the best description of these items.
It is described as having heavy wheels with studded rims, a broad wheelbase for stability, and two poles.
Some decriptions refer to a closed back with a rear door, but others with an open back, but a simple bench seat to one side.
Diodoros describes the chariots at Gaugamela with 27 inch blades at the ends of the yokes, and blades on the axle ends.

Xenophon describes Persian charioteers, as wearing a cuirass, armpieces and helmet, with only the eyes showing. It is believed that no armour was worn below the waist as this was protected by the body of the chariot. The helmet is believed to have cheek pieces which would reflect a Greek influence.

KARDAKE INFANTRY

Kardakes translated means “foreign mercenaries”
The Kardakes are a part of the Persian army that also appears towards the later empire, it is uncertain what they really were. Some say that they were mercenaries, others that they were influenced by the
Greek Hoplites and that we should assume that they were a Persian attempt to reform the army in a Greek way.

02AP-M.jpg

The Kardakes are described by historians as "Hoplites", Slingers and "Peltasts". This may illustrate that Kardakes most likely were not a specific troop type, like a heavy infantryman or a skirmisher but rather a specific group which supplied several kinds of soldiers.
This means that the Kardakes would have been equipped differently. At the battle of Issus Arrian calls them Hoplites, and Kallisthenes as Peltasts.

03AP-M.jpg

KARDAKE LIGHT INFANTRY

There has always been some debate over the armament and how the Kardakes were employed as a fighting force. As previously mentioned several historians have described them as peltasts.
Modern scholars seem to deduce from this that there was an attempt to produce a native Persian close fighting infantry to support the mercenary Greek hoplite, and Kardakes Hoplites, against the Macedonian phalanx.

04AP-M.jpg

Xenophon describes the Kardakes as carrying two javelins, and using a Kopis or a Sagaris ( the bronze pick-like Saka battleaxe, which was adopted by the Persians) and a wicker shield. It is also confirmed that many would also have used bows.
The Alexander sarcophagus shows Persian infantry not only carrying Hoplite shields, but many with crescent shaped shields similar to the Greek peltai.

05AP-M.jpg

The Scythed Chariot will be available in August.

The Achaemenid Persian reinforcements (Kardakes) will be available towards the end of this year.
Best wishes,
john jenkins

Simply wonderful. John does great ancients. I will be ordering all of these.

Oh wow! I did not see the Kardakes coming, since we already had the Sparabara. I am almost excited about these as I am about the Celtiberians! Fantastic. Thanks, John!

Bests,
Chris

Bugger.

That means we have to buy it and take out a mortgage.

Still, great piece!

Pat Sr & Paddy

THIS chariot is a little marvel!!!

Kardake infantry displays innovative poses!
JJD blows our minds!

Love a Quadriga, Just needs Judah Ben-Hur driving one and Massala driving another !^&grin

John just keeps on giving. This is incredible and i am so happy. I hope the Persians have multiple paint versions.
I hope the chariot does not. The chariot is awesome an i am all in…and like Paddy, i will be mortgaging my hose for that one….so worth it.
Jas

Must be a golden hose^&grin. This feedback bodes well for John and a vindication of his talents. Looking forward to seeing how the members display this wonderful piece. Robin.

two additional horses but one less figurine more the scythes ...
the price could be around 379 USD... We'll see if I'm right!

I hope 369. Compared to the Egyptian chariots it has 2 extra horses but one less soldier. I hope we are both wrong, its well over $500 Aussie dollars and equivelent to a few days work after tax .l.. but again, so worth it. Chariots are big, expensive…. And amazing and i try to stay away from them but i hope we also get a royal chariot with a King and driver.

I think that would be a decent price for all you get, i thought it would be around $410-$430, it is, for me, equal to a tank, that chariot looks to be a large unit.

I am in regardless. I think most of you saw my Persians and Macedonian phalanx pics. I cant do all that collecting and not get the chariot. It would be absolutely irresponsible

I am in regardless. I think most of you saw my Persians and Macedonian phalanx pics. I cant do all that collecting and not get the chariot. It would be absolutely irresponsible

Best release i have seen from any manufacturer in 2024.

Not my era for collecting, but keep going back to the picture and thinking i will get it*, can you advise on what you would suggest to go with it? Attacking a Phalanix? Any Romans? Which figures would you use as an enemy or as supporting the Chariot, be they mounted of foot troops? I have an idea for a small display on a 45-50 cm square base, have the base [covered with a perspex frame] and currently i have another one the same for my Almoravids, once again not my era but could not resist. They are on a side table in a downstairs room [not in my display room] and everyone who see them are impressed, think the same thing with the Chariot and added figures would top the Almoravids.

I have had a thought - will JJD release another, different, version, 2 together would be awesome.

* think it is better value, if the price is around $400, than a tank and my main collection is WW2 Germans.

JJDESIGNS NEWS UPDATE 27[SUP]th[/SUP] MAY 2024
THE ANCIENTS
ARMIES AND ENEMIES OF GREECE AND MACEDONIA

THE ACHAEMENID PERSIAN ARMY
ACHAEMENID PERSIAN SCYTHED CHARIOT

The 4 horse scythed chariots were used by the later Achaemenid Persians.
Scythed chariots were drawn by four armoured horses and manned by a single armoured driver. It was important for the vehicle to build up speed, as they were vulnerable to swift pre-emptive attacks by light troops.
Once the chariot was galloping towards its target, the driver would often bail out for his own safety, which unfortunately made it likely that the horses would miss or shy away from the target.
If they did make contact, the chariots would cause immense damage but would more or less destroy themselves in the collision.
Generally formed infantry bodies could stand firm after such contact, unless the chariots were closely supported, which they all too often were not.
Cavalry might have been easier to break than solid infantry bodies, but were not used, perhaps because the cavalry could easily have avoided their charge.

01AP-M.jpg

Xenophon’s “Kyropaidia” provides us with the best description of these items.
It is described as having heavy wheels with studded rims, a broad wheelbase for stability, and two poles.
Some decriptions refer to a closed back with a rear door, but others with an open back, but a simple bench seat to one side.
Diodoros describes the chariots at Gaugamela with 27 inch blades at the ends of the yokes, and blades on the axle ends.

Xenophon describes Persian charioteers, as wearing a cuirass, armpieces and helmet, with only the eyes showing. It is believed that no armour was worn below the waist as this was protected by the body of the chariot. The helmet is believed to have cheek pieces which would reflect a Greek influence.

KARDAKE INFANTRY

Kardakes translated means “foreign mercenaries”
The Kardakes are a part of the Persian army that also appears towards the later empire, it is uncertain what they really were. Some say that they were mercenaries, others that they were influenced by the
Greek Hoplites and that we should assume that they were a Persian attempt to reform the army in a Greek way.

02AP-M.jpg

The Kardakes are described by historians as "Hoplites", Slingers and "Peltasts". This may illustrate that Kardakes most likely were not a specific troop type, like a heavy infantryman or a skirmisher but rather a specific group which supplied several kinds of soldiers.
This means that the Kardakes would have been equipped differently. At the battle of Issus Arrian calls them Hoplites, and Kallisthenes as Peltasts.

03AP-M.jpg

KARDAKE LIGHT INFANTRY

There has always been some debate over the armament and how the Kardakes were employed as a fighting force. As previously mentioned several historians have described them as peltasts.
Modern scholars seem to deduce from this that there was an attempt to produce a native Persian close fighting infantry to support the mercenary Greek hoplite, and Kardakes Hoplites, against the Macedonian phalanx.

04AP-M.jpg

Xenophon describes the Kardakes as carrying two javelins, and using a Kopis or a Sagaris ( the bronze pick-like Saka battleaxe, which was adopted by the Persians) and a wicker shield. It is also confirmed that many would also have used bows.
The Alexander sarcophagus shows Persian infantry not only carrying Hoplite shields, but many with crescent shaped shields similar to the Greek peltai.

05AP-M.jpg

The Scythed Chariot will be available in August.

The Achaemenid Persian reinforcements (Kardakes) will be available towards the end of this year.
Best wishes,
john jenkins

Wonderful!

Best release i have seen from any manufacturer in 2024.

Not my era for collecting, but keep going back to the picture and thinking i will get it*, can you advise on what you would suggest to go with it? Attacking a Phalanix? Any Romans? Which figures would you use as an enemy or as supporting the Chariot, be they mounted of foot troops? I have an idea for a small display on a 45-50 cm square base, have the base [covered with a perspex frame] and currently i have another one the same for my Almoravids, once again not my era but could not resist. They are on a side table in a downstairs room [not in my display room] and everyone who see them are impressed, think the same thing with the Chariot and added figures would top the Almoravids.

I have had a thought - will JJD release another, different, version, 2 together would be awesome.

* think it is better value, if the price is around $400, than a tank and my main collection is WW2 Germans.
yeh go for it. I think the chariot taking on some of the light Macedonians or a few Holpites… or a few Macedonian cavalry. If you start a Macedonian phalanx you will have trouble stopping!

yeh go for it. I think the chariot taking on some of the light Macedonians or a few Holpites… or a few Macedonian cavalry. If you start a Macedonian phalanx you will have trouble stopping!

For impact I would go for Greek Hoplites.

Thanks, i did look at the Macedonian phalanx and saw there were 9 figure sets for $405, then would have to look at 6 of them, plus the 3 offier set and that worked out at around $2570, then, like you say, where do you stop, i have read numbers for a Phalanx were 256 soldiers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back