odd buttons and insignia on old USN SDB jacket (1 Viewer)

Tex

Corporal
I was at a recent gunshow spotted a strange Service Dress Blue jacket. I am not sure that it was US Navy, though it was the same style and cut, because the buttons and insignia were odd. Above Commander's stripes, instead of a star or oak leaf or other standard insignia, was a caduceus. It did not have an anchor and did not resemble Public Health Service insignia. The buttons were not the standard USN buttons with the eagle, anchor, and stars, but rather had a single anchor encircled by some kind of wreath around the edge of the buttons. The seller insisted that it was the jacket of a US Navy Doctor from WWII, but I know this is not correct because USN Medical Corps has always used the oak leaf and acorn above the stripes on SDBs.

Any idea what this uniform is?

I think pharmacists had a similar insignia for a while, but I am not aware of officers with it, and, again, the buttons were not Navy. Still no thoughts?

I think pharmacists had a similar insignia for a while, but I am not aware of officers with it, and, again, the buttons were not Navy. Still no thoughts?

Most WW2 USN Pharmacists were NCOs not Commisoned. Very few Pharmacists were college graduates and therfore were ineligible for commissoning

That's why I figured it couldn't be US Navy--that and the lack of Navy buttons. It did have the stripes of a Commander, though. Could this just be something from a merchant line?

Hi There,

I believe what you describe is a jacket that was worn by a Merchant Marine Doctor. Would need to see a photo of the buttons and insignia to be certain but I am pretty sure it is Merchant Marine. Do a search on line for Merchant Marine Uniforms and Insignia and you should find them. My Uncle was in the Merchant Marine during WWII so I am familure with their uniforms.

Dave

Thanks--unfortunately I did not get photos of the jacket. I've looked up US Merchant Marine uniforms and older US Navy uniforms, and I am beginning to think the jacket is a mix; the insignia looks like the US Hospital Corps insignia (from when officers were in the Hospital Corps) but the buttons looked like Merchant Marine buttons. I think somebody probably found the jacket without buttons and then sewed the USMM ones on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back