Otsn 2014 (1 Viewer)

King & Country

1st Lieutenant
Hi Guys,

The Chicago Show is still one of the major highlights of my “Toy Soldier Year” .

OK, so the room trading is not what it was before the advent of the internet…And I regret that – Back in the day when K&C sold product at the show I can remember the halls being busy from after breakfast time until late, late in the evening. One year we didn’t close the K&C room until 1:30AM in the morning and there were still guys spending and buying!!!

But, times change and nothing stands still for anyone or anything. However, for me the Chicago Show is still very, very special. Both Gordon and I get to meet and talk with our collectors and dealers in a happy, comfortable and relaxed environment about all things toy soldiers. Most evenings groups of like-minded collectors, dealers and manufacturers now get the opportunity to go out and get a decent meal at a varied selection of eateries in and around the hotel itself. Then it’s back to the hotel and usually into a room or two to enjoy plenty of good wine and spirits and all kinds of guy talk well into the “wee small hours” . Then just a few hours later it’s time to get up and do it all over again!

Throughout the day Gordon, myself and Chris Munro, our good buddy also get the chance to “recce” the rooms and halls to find other kinds of great stuff for our own collections…After all we are collectors too!

As I’ve said many times in the past you will discover untold bargains, gems plus unusual and unique pieces at a show as large and diverse as Chicago unlike any other. And you’ll make friends that last a lifetime…either yours or theirs!

After all this during the weekdays and nights you still have the Sunday event. And still you will find rare items you missed out in the rooms…That’s just a small part of what Chicago is all about.

To me, Gordon, Chris and many others the Chicago OTSN is a special time and a special place. In almost 30 years of attending, since the earliest K&C years, I have never, ever been disappointed. If you have been then I’m sorry for you. In my book the glass is always “half-full” never “half-empty” …The Chicago is what you make it, and often who you make it with!

So, here’s to the next one…Gordon, Chris and me arrive on Tuesday and should be all set up in our room by Wednesday. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible.

All the best and…Happy Collecting!

Andy C.​

{sm3}Thanks Andy for the post. Already counting down the days and making out my WANT list. Ron

Great words, Andy, to accompany some wonderful memories and images.
Looking forward to seeing you, Gordon and the gang again, in the K&C room or when you stop by George's (at Minuteman).

If anyone out there can only do ONE show, then this is the one to do. It is so much more than "just a TS show", its an experience ...{sm4}

Hope to see many of you folks wandering the halls or stopping by the room and booth.

--- Larry

This will be my first year and I'm very much looking forward to it!

This will be my first year and I'm very much looking forward to it!

Zach,
That's great, very glad to hear you'll be attending.

Look forward to seeing you there along with many other forum members..........

Hi Guys,

The Chicago Show is still one of the major highlights of my “Toy Soldier Year” .

OK, so the room trading is not what it was before the advent of the internet…And I regret that – Back in the day when K&C sold product at the show I can remember the halls being busy from after breakfast time until late, late in the evening. One year we didn’t close the K&C room until 1:30AM in the morning and there were still guys spending and buying!!!

But, times change and nothing stands still for anyone or anything. However, for me the Chicago Show is still very, very special. Both Gordon and I get to meet and talk with our collectors and dealers in a happy, comfortable and relaxed environment about all things toy soldiers. Most evenings groups of like-minded collectors, dealers and manufacturers now get the opportunity to go out and get a decent meal at a varied selection of eateries in and around the hotel itself. Then it’s back to the hotel and usually into a room or two to enjoy plenty of good wine and spirits and all kinds of guy talk well into the “wee small hours” . Then just a few hours later it’s time to get up and do it all over again!

Throughout the day Gordon, myself and Chris Munro, our good buddy also get the chance to “recce” the rooms and halls to find other kinds of great stuff for our own collections…After all we are collectors too!

As I’ve said many times in the past you will discover untold bargains, gems plus unusual and unique pieces at a show as large and diverse as Chicago unlike any other. And you’ll make friends that last a lifetime…either yours or theirs!

After all this during the weekdays and nights you still have the Sunday event. And still you will find rare items you missed out in the rooms…That’s just a small part of what Chicago is all about.

To me, Gordon, Chris and many others the Chicago OTSN is a special time and a special place. In almost 30 years of attending, since the earliest K&C years, I have never, ever been disappointed. If you have been then I’m sorry for you. In my book the glass is always “half-full” never “half-empty” …The Chicago is what you make it, and often who you make it with!

So, here’s to the next one…Gordon, Chris and me arrive on Tuesday and should be all set up in our room by Wednesday. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible.

All the best and…Happy Collecting!

Andy C.​

Couldn't agree more with everything Andy said.

And yes, while the room trading may not be as crowded as it used to be, always remember; it's QUALITY, not QUANTITY.

Case in point; once I've been vultured by Mr Chong on Wednesday, he walks out of my room with a @#$# ton of items and he's only one person, but a valued collector who is there to have fun and spend money..............

My first show was this year at San Antonio and at the insistence of Andy and Laura, my wife and I decided that we should attend Chicago. So count us in for the weekend too, and we are already planning to attend San Antonio again next year!

Airborne, All the Way!
PaulN

These shows sound like a lot of fun (and I'd love to see all the items they have to offer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back