Palm Trees & Desert Mat (1 Viewer)

Isandlwana

Sergeant
Does anyone own either a JG palm tree. Are they any good or do they look a bit ropey close up? I can't make my mind up from the picture on their website. Someone mentioned Dept 56 palm trees but I couldn't find any on their website.

Hi Isandlwana.....I have a couple of JG palm trees Large and Small and i think they work really well. They are more stocky than KC and Dept 56
if that is not a problem for you then go for it..!!. I have a grass mat also from JG...very good, but as for a sand mat i would say use real sand, there is nothing better..Hope this helps.

Steve

PS. great thing about the trees is you can bend the leaves in any way you wish.

I like the JG palms a lot:

IMG_2692PS-1.jpg

Yes I have 8 K&C & 8 JG, prefer JG slightly more, being a littler stocky and easy to stand, but both good. Cheers, Robin

Attachments

• PB250051.jpg
    PB250051.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 683
For a more realistic look, I would probably give the JG palms a slight wash with brown.

Does anyone own either a JG palm tree. Are they any good or do they look a bit ropey close up? I can't make my mind up from the picture on their website. Someone mentioned Dept 56 palm trees but I couldn't find any on their website.

Ropey!???...quite the opposite. I have a number of JG's scenic items as well as terrain mats and they are all of high quality, you won't be disappointed. Have a look at my new thread in the Britains section to see a JG palm tree.

Jeff

I now have one and I do like it. However, I do think the K&C ones look better with K&C products based on the pictures you have all kindly provided. Although they are nearly three times the price you get three times the tree! I'm not not sure my Lighthorsemen like it in all honesty!

Thanks for the input though, it's appreciated.

I have four JG palm trees which I use with K&C's Ancient Egyptians. They're quite sturdy, with a nice look & "feel." The Egyptians seem to like them, too.^&grin

Villagehorse-

that is a truly amazing display you have. I have considered getting into that line but just cannot due to cost restraints. You should be quite proud of that display.

I own the JG Palm trees and use them for my AE collection and Modern combat. They are superb!!

Villagehorse-

that is a truly amazing display you have. I have considered getting into that line but just cannot due to cost restraints. You should be quite proud of that display.

I own the JG Palm trees and use them for my AE collection and Modern combat. They are superb!!

Yes indeedy, fast becoming my favourite series, really like the variety colours and the Roman influence. Understand the cost issue and now I understand lots of AE coming this year & next, this will keep us both poor. The palms are also useful in my Sudan & light Horse series. Thank you for your comments. Cheers, Robin.

Heres a picture with some new additions I received yesterday. The tall JG Trees are there in the display. Additionally there are some of JG's little desert shrubs there near the front by the camel. That is also JG's egyptian podium Cleopatra is sitting on.

egypt0001.jpg

Yes indeedy, fast becoming my favourite series, really like the variety colours and the Roman influence. Understand the cost issue and now I understand lots of AE coming this year & next, this will keep us both poor. The palms are also useful in my Sudan & light Horse series. Thank you for your comments. Cheers, Robin.

Hi Robin,
I fully agree with you....the JG palm trees are fantastic ( I am a big fan of JG props and whenever I can save to buy a few items - the cost is a killer - specially given that they are in Pounds Sterling and the FX does not help me...).
I just got some palm trees recently along with some bushes to start my dios related to the French Foreign Legion and Northwestern Frontier British Army in India motifs and loved them...I also bought the rubber type of mat ( already had the ones on a wooden base with shrubs attached ) and want to experiment with them as they are more flexible may be by adding some " volume under " they can resemble dunes etc.....what I have noticed is a strong rubber smell from the mats ( that must go away with time ) they are great....I have attached a few pics ( more are at the French Foreign Legion public album if you wish to check how they come out at different angles and perspectives )...the pic with the camels I use the palms and the wooden version of the desert base, would not want to add too many and be sent a note by the ever present moderators....{sm2}

Attachments

• IMG_7827.JPG
    IMG_7827.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_7894.JPG
    IMG_7894.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_7891.JPG
    IMG_7891.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_7766.JPG
    IMG_7766.JPG