Pickelhaube Miniatures, Australia (1 Viewer)

Artilleryman

Private
Hello, does anyone know more about this company? I happened to see pictures of the manufacturer's toy soldiers (Prussian Infantry) - they look damn good. But I can't find anything about them online.

Yes, this was a Australian company based in Queensland and setup by Matt Vogel ? who was of German descent.
He was in business about 20 years ago, but it only lasted about 7 years I think.
He made a nice range of German troops from pre-WW1 era and then some from the German troops of the US War of Independance.

The figures were available in gloss painted sets and also as castings.
I was fortunately to received many of the figures from Matt as castings which I painted and showed on my website.

These are some in my collection:
hess_f.jpghess_g.jpg

parade.jpg pr_firing.jpg

pic_arty.jpg

I have a .PDF catalogue from 2006 so PM me if you'd like me to email that to you,
John

If I'm not mistaken, we have a thread or subforum for Pickelhaube here in the forum.
His figures were nice, but the namesake piece of equipment on his Imperial troops wasn't quite right. He made the rear brim a little too long, more like the British pith helmet than the actual Pickelhaube. You can see it in the photos above. Same goes for the Tschakos on his Jäger, which are a little too conical in shape, and for his Tschapkas on his Uhlans.
But he was also the only one making such a range of German figures from various periods of history at the time. And his colors were beautiful. I have 2, which I will repaint. The flags themselves are of fine brass or copper sheet, stamped or embossed with the designs. Really pretty! I also have a couple of his figures in field uniform, 1910, in kit form, which I'll paint soon. Nice sculpts, and crisp castings.
Prost!
Brad

Yes, this was a Australian company based in Queensland and setup by Matt Vogel ? who was of German descent.
He was in business about 20 years ago, but it only lasted about 7 years I think.
He made a nice range of German troops from pre-WW1 era and then some from the German troops of the US War of Independance.

The figures were available in gloss painted sets and also as castings.
I was fortunately to received many of the figures from Matt as castings which I painted and showed on my website.

These are some in my collection:
View attachment 341388View attachment 341389

View attachment 341390 View attachment 341391

View attachment 341392

I have a .PDF catalogue from 2006 so PM me if you'd like me to email that to you,
John

John, Thanks for the catalogs, these figures are so nice! Wish there were on the market today. Same with Guard Corps (Kaiser Alexander Grenadiers / Imperial German Army); I am to late for the live-time of these brands.

Glad to help you out.

Yes there are many brands that flourished about 20 years ago when I started painting again, I had done that as a kid and wanted a hobby again.

All I can suggest is keep looking, there are some collections coming up for sale seeing the aging of the current collectors, and so wanting to down size !!

John

...Same with Guard Corps (Kaiser Alexander Grenadiers / Imperial German Army)..
Yes! I bought a lot of the Alexander Grenadier sets when Guard Corps was still in business. That was a joint venture between Ed Lober and Alan Silk, who had their own lines, respectively. They did the sculpting here and had the casting done in Hong Kong by a company called FairTech, Inc. FairTech produced die cast toys, like farm and construction vehicles, as well as other toy soldiers.

When Ed and Alan had both passed, FairTech purchased the brand and continued producing the sets, but selling through eBay. Their eBay seller name was faircloverland. I corresponded with the director via email a couple of times. The prices were a lot higher, though, than when Ed and Alan were still alive and in business. Sadly, I think FairTech is now gone, too.

I have all of the Alexander Grenadier sets except the figure of the Kaiser. I have a Tradition figure that I use instead when I set up my display.

Sets turn up occasionally on eBay. Most recently, George Guerriero had some, but they got snapped up before I could bid.

Guard Corps' US Civil War and Seventh Cavalry figures were very nice, too.

Prost!
Brad

I also bought a set of Kaiser Alexander Guard Grenadiers, Prussian Army 1914 by Tradition of London just before they were retired.

prussian.jpg

and recently completed painting this band, 1st Garde Regiment Zu Fuss Band c.1900 also by Tradition of London.

PrussianBand.jpg

and another couple of fife and drum bands by Tradition of London but painted these in gloss.

pr_band.jpg

pr_band2.jpg

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back