Pinning Expansion???? (1 Viewer)

zblang

1st Lieutenant
I am starting my first figure kit and was told i need pinning expansion "rods". what are these for????

Not sure what the person could have meant by "expansion rods"; pinning normally refers to using pieces of stiff wire to strengthen the joints of a figure, or to provide attachments when parts are cast with smooth faces on the joints' meeting surfaces. For example, a kit figure could be cast with the arms separate from the torso, and where the arms meet the torso, are flat surfaces, instead of a pin or lug on the arm and a hole in the shoulder. So, we take a fine drill bit, chuck it into a pin vise, and drill holes in the arms and the shoulders, and then use lengths of wire or rod to make pins. We apply glue to the holes and the pin, and attach the arms.

Same goes for kits made of resin. Large-scale sci-fi and anime kits are most often cast in resin, and they're often made without any kind of lugs, pins or keys, to fit into holes in the joints.

Pinning provides a much stronger joint than if we were simply to apply glue to the pieces and hold them together till the glue set.

Hopefully that clarifies the practice, but if you still have questions, just ask.

Prost!
Brad

That completely makes sense. Thanks for the info!

I love this board! :)

Hi, Zach, you're very welcome, and I look forward to seeing your figure. Please do take some in-progress pics for us!

Prost!
Brad

Hi, Zach, you're very welcome, and I look forward to seeing your figure. Please do take some in-progress pics for us!

Prost!
Brad

Just started today....Uh, this sure isn't easy. I've always had tons of respect for the painters around here, but let's just say that increased ten fold today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back