Question About Upcoming Tuareqs (1 Viewer)

lenswerks

First Sergeant
I see Treefrog has a lot of MM future releases, I guess its new, with lots of Camels and Tuareqs. What's the story on these - the time period and conflict?

Donnie

Hi Donnie,
We're trying to ascertain that. Fernando isn't much on description and lets his figures speak for themselves ;), but we like to know and offer a little more of a historic setting behind the figures and are working on researching these new sets more. We will add to the descriptions on the product pages as we gather the information.

The Tuaregs were and are a nomadic people of the Sahara Desert who clashed with the French in the 1880s as the French explored and attempted to gain control of the Sahara and surrounding territory. They are also called "The People of the Veil" by Arabs because their entire heads (except for their eyes) are concealed behind a 5-foot long veil wound around their heads to protect them from the sun and sand. They have been very interesting to research.

These figures are the first from his new range called "Beau Geste" (not to be confused with the manufacturer Beau Geste) representing the Arab Rebellion.

The second new range is called "Artillery through the Times" and begins with Turkish Artillery in Napoleonic Wars as well as a variety of very nicely detailed cannons. There are several new Turkish figure sets involving camels and camel artillery that are absolutely gorgeous and are found in the Nap category.
I will be posting pictures of these new sets on another thread here in the Manes Marzano section.

We are quite excited about these upcoming releases and hope collectors feel the same.

Thanks for the questions,

They are some very beautiful sets.Are they matte or glossy?I can't tell.
Mark

The Tuareg (same word singular or plural, by the way) was the only tribe that truly inhabited the middle reaches of the Sahara, known as the "Great Erg" and as such, during the period of French exploration and eventual colonization of the Sahara the Tuareg fiercly opposed them. The worst defeats the French experienced in the Sahara were all inflicted by the Tuareg. Think of the Tuareg as the Apaches of the North African Desert. Loosely organized, wild and unrestrained, only nominally Moslem, the Tuareg barely practiced religion, for in fact the Tuareg were so isolated in the Sahara that allegiance to anything organized including religion was anathama to them.

Only Men wear the veil in Tuareg society. The Tuareg women are extremely unusual in the Moslem world in that they have traditionally been veilless for as far back as ethnologists can determine. Rather than the wearing of the veil being dictated by the Qoran, the wearing of the veil by the Tuareg men is more based in practicality as they are constantly on the move in the Sahara braving wind, sand and freezing cold nights. The veil is really handy in those cicumstances.

The Tuareg are most commonly referred to as the "Blue Men of the Desert." The Tuareg economy for hundreds of years was based on camels, controlling all the caravan routes from Timbuctoo north and east , and mining 100 pound slabs of salt from secret salt mines. The profits were used to purchase cloth, almost all dyed blue, from merchants in Timbuctoo. Blue because the only natural dye source growing in the scrubby desert in present day Mali and Niger was indigo. Habitually wearing indigo dyed cloth caused over the years of a man's life to dye his very skin blue. Mixed with the naturally very dark skin causes Tuareg to truly have blue-black skin, hence "the Blue Men" nickname. They also were traditionally toothless as dates were the principal foodstuff avaialable at oases. That sugary fruit will rot your teeth faster than a 6 cola a day habit!

The Tuareg were such a thorn in the side of the French colonialists that the military was forced to revamp strategy and tactics used to fight in the desert. As General Crook did in fighting Geronimo and his hostile Apache, the French created units of camel mounted irregular "loyal" Bedouin called Mehirists. ("mehir" means "camel", "Mehirists" means "camel mounted troops".
Think "parachute" and Paratroopers") Eventually the French brought the Tuareg to heel, but mostly because inter cultural relationships were mutually profitable for French and Tuareg.

These new figures from Manes Marzano (mine arrived today from Argentina) are striking. I have them set up with my K&C French Camel troops, sort of like guides for the French. The Marzabi fiugures are slightly larger than the K&C, especially the camel. However, expert traders that they were, the Tuareg prided themselves on owning and riding the most magnificent (and white furred) camels available. A Tuareg's camel in the 1930s would have been impressive beasts indeed. The slightly larger Manes Marzano camel fits, especially as it is painted a wholly appropriate whitish beige color

The Tuareg figure is drressed in an outfit more purple than indigo-blue. Not nearly as menacing in purple than the real thing, believe me. (I have seen Tuareg in the Sahara and they are scary looking. But thats my only complaint. The shield, "Christian cross" in the pommel, the scimitar at his waist and the long spear are all spot-on!

I hope Manes Marzano issues more figures in this range ASAP.
Marc Gaynes
Chicago

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back