Quick Review: PBR “Street Gang” Set from Apocalypse Now (1 Viewer)

tmanthegreat

Master Sergeant
In a surprise arrival today, I received my Apocalypse Now “Street Gang” PBR Boat set! It’s a great and highly detailed model overall and definitely captures the look of the boat from the film. The wheelhouse is fully detailed right down to the M16s mounted to the bulkhead. I like the figures which bear resemblance to the movie characters. The water base was also a great inclusion for the set. However, as is often the case with TCS items, the assembly was a little tricky and my model was sadly missing two of the cleats on the starboard side… I’m going to have to reach out to TCS about some replacements or fashion my own from some plastic sprue. Still, it’s a fun set and makes a fantastic display!

IMG-1961.jpg

IMG-1957.jpg

IMG-1963.jpg

IMG-1956.jpg

IMG-1958.jpg

IMG-1952.jpg

IMG-1950.jpg

IMG-1945.jpg

IMG-1946.jpg

IMG-1943.jpg

This looks great, Tman! Really appreciate your early images. I'm waiting until Christmas to open mine. Lot's of nice detailing and the figures look great.
Re. the cleats you mention, I'm understanding the starboard side of the underside of the boat?

A few years ago, one of the R/C companies produced a 1/18 scale 'Nam patrol boat. I saw it in a local hobby shop and passed as the shop did not have all the batteries/accessories needed at the time. It reminds me of this TCS version which I think is very impressive.

Beautiful piece. It just needs some sort of frame around the water to make it look even better.

{bravo}}

Yes a brilliant looking addition to your collection :salute::

A Jungle background would make for a perfect diorama and epic display !

Just about every year, I have a favorite piece. I think this may be that "piece of the year" for 2023.
While no item is perfect, "curb appeal" is a solid 10.
I'm sure many will be adding to their Vietnam dioramas and as Steve mentioned, it will look even better with a jungle backdrop.

This looks great, Tman! Really appreciate your early images. I'm waiting until Christmas to open mine. Lot's of nice detailing and the figures look great.
Re. the cleats you mention, I'm understanding the starboard side of the underside of the boat?

A few years ago, one of the R/C companies produced a 1/18 scale 'Nam patrol boat. I saw it in a local hobby shop and passed as the shop did not have all the batteries/accessories needed at the time. It reminds me of this TCS version which I think is very impressive.

Beautiful piece. It just needs some sort of frame around the water to make it look even better.

{bravo}}

Thanks Rob! Yeah the two rearmost cleats that hold the tires are missing on the starboard side. They weren’t anywhere loose in the box, so must have been a factory error. I’ve emailed TCS about it and will call on Monday to see about replacement parts.

Also, I have that 1/18 scale radio-controlled PBR boat! It was made by Pro Boat and perfectly fits the old 21st Vietnam War figures. It runs like the real thing with miniature water jet thrusters and is really fast! Mine is packed away at the moment, but it makes for a nice display piece on its own. I’ve not run mine very much due to a lack of suitable locations like large shallow bodies of water without a current, lol

Thanks Rob! Yeah the two rearmost cleats that hold the tires are missing on the starboard side. They weren’t anywhere loose in the box, so must have been a factory error. I’ve emailed TCS about it and will call on Monday to see about replacement parts.
Oh, I see from your picture now that they are missing on the right side.

Also, I have that 1/18 scale radio-controlled PBR boat! It was made by Pro Boat and perfectly fits the old 21st Vietnam War figures. It runs like the real thing with miniature water jet thrusters and is really fast! Mine is packed away at the moment, but it makes for a nice display piece on its own. I’ve not run mine very much due to a lack of suitable locations like large shallow bodies of water without a current, lol
How cool! I watched a video review of it and wanted to add my 21st Century US Marines. With or without running, it's an awesome boat.

These were the figures I had planned to use:

attachment.php

Love the 'Nam Patrol Boats, including this brick-built Call of Duty version (complete with Jungle Expedition Pack). {sm4}

attachment.php

Enjoy that new boat! I hope mine has all the pieces. Will let you know.

Last edited:
Hi Tman,

Were you able to get your replacement cleats?

On a side note, I received the latest TCS flyer yesterday. Boat featured on the cover. The latest promo includes the water piece at half off with the purchase of complete set (boat and figures).

Hi Tman,

Were you able to get your replacement cleats?

On a side note, I received the latest TCS flyer yesterday. Boat featured on the cover. The latest promo includes the water piece at half off with the purchase of complete set (boat and figures).

I got the same flyer, Rob! I bought my set from Rodney’s Dimestore Gallery (with a nice 15% discount) and am working with him and TCS to hopefully get the replacement parts. Really, all I need are the mooring cleat parts, which I can glue in myself, lol

Have you received your PBR yet?

I'm sure between the two, they will make it right.

I did. Waiting until Christmas to open. Can't wait!

I admire your discipline. I am a very much have it now person, based on the concept of the uncertainty of tomorrow.^&grin, Robin.

That looks quite excellent! I really like the combat figure poses.

Walt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back