Rawhide (1 Viewer)

johnnybach

Major General
Rollin', rollin, rollin'..........................

Well, you know how the rest of it goes............if you're of a certain age ..................and were brought up on a diet of Westerns, and a certain TV serial about cattle drives - and similar stuff.

The purpose of this thread - is to introduce a new(ish) development for me - brought about by a certain gent on this forum, who keeps sending me pictures of his western collection!! This pardner of mine, goes by the handle of Pat - and he just loves to show some of his Bill Hocker Wild West pieces.

Well, he introduced me to a piece, recently - which he just knew would get my taste buds flowing...............this one.............

http://wmhocker.com/set.php?s=amwest&n=12&en=1

That's it pardners - the Chuck Wagon.

Now, as I know that Mr Hocker sadly, doesn't sell unpainted castings - and MY hobby is painting, my mind once again went to thinking - now, how could I get to own something like that???

Well..............once again, my mind turned to something that I knew - which could form the basis for a wagon like that. Down at Dorset Soldiers, I knew there were pieces of an old GS Wagon - which could be purchased to repair - or even make up a complete old GS Wagon ( because I had bought some bits and repaired one before). So...............on a recent visit, I bought some more bits and pieces from my amigo Giles; ( wheels, sides, draw bar, etc.,), with a view to making up one of my own to become my very own version of a Chuck Wagon.

Here is my version - just coming together after a couple of days so far, below:

Note that I have put a Britains walking cowboy (under repair) alongside the Chuck Wagon - to give an idea of size/scale - which shows they will be compatible.

Much of the additional detail - such as the distinctive shelves and drop flap at the rear; the front end and seat - and even the hooped canvas cover holder ( mine will be partly covered), were made up from wooden coffee stirrers, diligently collected after coffee had been served at our local cawfee shop! ( thanks guys!:D).

Far from finished yet - this is intended to become the centre-piece of my Cattle drive, over the next year or two - and I have all the fun of sourcing the rest of my herd and cowboys yet - all of which I intend to find as either castings or repaired/converted figures.

So.sit back compadres - and enjoy the drive - over the next ...............don't know how long - yet............as we get the drive underway.

Yeee- haw! jb:D

Johnny, if you want cowboy personnel and longhorn steers suggest you have a look at Sarum Soldiers listing. There are cowboys doing everything you can think of, riding, fighting, sleeping, playing cards, dancing, playing guitars plus a load of additional characters, dance hall girls, gold miners, Indian scouts, greenhorns, barmen, sheriff's, gunmen, bank robbers etc. All available unpainted. Good work with the chuckwagon, you are becoming a very talented little ferret. Gold star on your end of year report. Trooper

Johnny, if you want cowboy personnel and longhorn steers suggest you have a look at Sarum Soldiers listing. There are cowboys doing everything you can think of, riding, fighting, sleeping, playing cards, dancing, playing guitars plus a load of additional characters, dance hall girls, gold miners, Indian scouts, greenhorns, barmen, sheriff's, gunmen, bank robbers etc. All available unpainted. Good work with the chuckwagon, you are becoming a very talented little ferret. Gold star on your end of year report. Trooper

Cheers buddy - I have seen them - and they will be on my list for some time in the future. I particularly like the guys around the cooking fire - and the steers etc. Thanks for the Gold Star :Djb

Another beauty jb, it looks like Rowdy is trying to round up Wishbone and ask him why they're being fed those dad-gum beans ..... again!

Head 'em up, move 'em out jb ..... keep those doggies movin' ! ^&grin

B.:salute::

I've done a bit more modelling on the Chuck Wagon - after doing a bit more reading on the internet. I found out that as well as the rear area being used for storeage and a work-top for Cookie, they would also often have a "boot" storeage area - often on the opposite side to the water barrel ( to balance the weight distribution better) - and to keep all of the cooking equipment there, for quick/easy access.

As the vehicle was moved after breakfast every morning - to it's next location - the cook would need to set up camp all over again, get the fire started - and put Coffee and food ( often Pork'n'beans) on to begin, or resume cooking. So it was handy to have an easy access to the cooking kit, pots and pans etc.

The main area inside the wagon was kept for bulk items - such as barrels of salt pork, dried beans, onions, potatoes etc - as well as storing the bed-rolls of the cowboys during the day. I have already made up one crate for the interior - see below.

So......my version needed a boot on the other side - which I again made from my own "stash" of collected coffee-stirrers. Couldn't be more appropriate!:D

Water barrel now painted and positioned - on top of a drawer box below - which contained more kit.

Note that I have begun a coat of varnish on some parts of my wagon - as I want to start working on my canvas cover ( which will be partially rolled back), - so I will need that part to be completely dry before starting work on that area.

Below that is another view - this time of the rear flap/ kitchen work-top. Note the shelving now in use for kitchen ingredients for Cookie to make good use of. I read that along the side of some of the old cattle trails - there are still wild chillies growing, from the times of the old cattle drives, when the cowboy cooks would plant seeds, for future use.

Here's a closer view of this area - showing my scratch built food store (so far).

This view shows my "boot" - which was made to measure the area - as I needed to nmake sure that it doesn't impede the wheels turning. I may get some horses for the future - so that I can hitch them up - when required.

Lastly - here's a more overhead shot - showing the interior and my "crate". Marvelously adaptable things, coffee-stirrers.:cool:

All for now - where's the needle and thread - I may need some help for this!{sm2} jb

Very well done! Do you have a plan for canvas over the hoops?

Dave

Very well done! Do you have a plan for canvas over the hoops?

Dave

Hi Dave. Yes - though NOT all over. I've seen pics of wagons with the canvas rolled back into the centre - and also rolled up on either side - all of which allows easy access to the interior. The pics I like, are where the canvas covers the centre two hoops - but not all of the way down. The canopy is tied back with laces - which allows it to be quickly rolled back into place if the weather changes. That's how I'm making mine NOW.

Only stabbed myself twice (so far) with a needle!!! ( and said a naughty word or two!!){eek3} BUT..she's coming along - will post some pics later. jb

Here we go Dave - with my first attempt at a rolled back cover. Looks okay to me, for a first attempt.

Note - that this is a project still under construction - and I have a multitude of holes, gaps etc to go around and tidy up yet. Also note that I will have a lot of stuff to either find - or make - such as utensils, cargo etc. I'm going to try and make up some sacks - to suggest stores such as potatoes, onions etc - as well as easier stuff like tubs of flour, salt-pork etc, which woukld have been carried in the main body of the wagon. That's why I wanted the area to be able to be seen to be accessible - as it would have been for real. You often see pics of these wagons without any canopy on at all - as they often were simply uncovered.

Note my flowered ceramic jug - came from a charm bracelet! Charming!!^&grin The back flap closes up, by the way.

Anyhow, that's it - for the time being. Still a work in progress - but quite pleased with how it's developing, for now. jb;)

Hello JB,

Wow! What are you doing making figures? With skill sets like that, you should be rigging sailing ships or dressmaking for dolls!...:):):) Seriously, that is very good!!!

Rgds Vic

Hello JB,

Wow! What are you doing making figures? With skill sets like that, you should be rigging sailing ships or dressmaking for dolls!...:):):) Seriously, that is very good!!!

Rgds Vic

Glad you like it Vic. The figure is a repaired Britains cowboy. He came with a lost arm, so I bought one and stuck it on with glue - it's not that hard!^&grin

I never liked playing with dolls - so never had an "Action Man".

I was also always useless at darning in the Army - so we used to buy one of our guys who was good at it, a pint - to do our socks! I did have a go ( with some expert advice from The Commandant, whose hobby is quilting) at the canvas cover for my Chuck Wagon - and am reasonably happy with the results, so far. It was a bit like making up a plastic kit - with a few missing parts.

Seriously though, I did enjoy the experience of making up miniature shelves etc from Coffee Stirrers - which was quite fun to do. I recommend them as raw material to anyone considering repairing/adapting vehicles such as this.

Hope my other buddy Pat is looking in - as it was his vehicle from Mr Hocker - that started me off on down this route:D

Cheers buddy :salute::

Johnny,

As usual when it comes to this sort of repair/modification you are very talented! Thanks for sharing your work.

Dave

Johnny,

As usual when it comes to this sort of repair/modification you are very talented! Thanks for sharing your work.

Dave

Cheers Dave - nice of you to say so. I think that I learned a lot a year or so ago, from making up a Britain's Horse Ambulance - from some actual parts and a few spares from Dorset Soldiers. As soon as I saw Pat's Chuck Wagon - which I immediately liked - I thought about making one up from Dorset spares again.

It was actually VERY enjoyable, cutting up pieces of wood again - and reminded me of a balsa and tissue 'plane I built when I was a kid.

The project will need to go on hold for a while though, as I'm of to NZ soon - to see my two grandchildren once again. I will look forward to sourcing some more bits and pieces for my Trail Drive - when I get back. There are some really nice bits I will want - as Trooper reminded me - from Sarum Soldiers.

jb:salute::

Here's one more pic - showing another little addition to my Chuck Wagon. On the tailboard is a sack of onions - which Cookie has just negotiated for from a homestead he just passed through. In the back of the wagon, you may just be able to see a couple more sacks of vegetables as well - from the same source.

I made these myself (under supervision) from a few scraps of fabric that "The Commandant" liberated from her stash. She thought that at this scale, the open weave of this fabric might pass for sacking. So....she ran them up for me - and taught me how to sew up the neck of each mini-sack and then tie them off to look like a roughly bound neck of a sack. I also just learned a new use for those little bits of milliput that go off hard. They make ideal contents for each sack!:D Finished off with a bit of permanent ink pen - to label the contents.

Looks like "Son of a Gun Stew" with some welcome fresh vegetables tonight for the trail-hands. Well, makes a change from Pork'n'beans, I suppose. I'll try for some apples next time - so Cookie can make a few pies. ;) jb

Johnny, if you take a look at the Historex spare parts catalogue you will find quite a lot of items that will be useful to you i.e. bottles, lanterns, various tools, chests, buckets, jugs, pans and assorted bundles. Trooper

Johnny, if you take a look at the Historex spare parts catalogue you will find quite a lot of items that will be useful to you i.e. bottles, lanterns, various tools, chests, buckets, jugs, pans and assorted bundles. Trooper

Hi Trooper - thanks for that - I didn't know they were still in business. just had a quick look.

I assume that the Online shop in Dover - is the place the go to order any bits and pieces that I may need???

Cheers - jb

Hi Trooper - thanks for that - I didn't know they were still in business. just had a quick look.

I assume that the Online shop in Dover - is the place the go to order any bits and pieces that I may need???

Cheers - jb

Yes Johnny, they have a brilliant service there, order in the morning and you will get it next day. Easy to order over the phone, just make sure you quote the correct reference number. Trooper

Yes Johnny, they have a brilliant service there, order in the morning and you will get it next day. Easy to order over the phone, just make sure you quote the correct reference number. Trooper

Okay - many thanks for that useful info, chum:D - jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back