Re: Flag Bearers (1 Viewer)

Rediarmor

Private 1st Class
Re: Flag Bearers

OK Gents, I felt it was time I added a set of "Flag waivers", I know these are not the usual ones, but they certainly are entitled. I have no idea of the maker, and they were supplied in a plain red box, and are 54mm. If you have any ideas, please let me know.
377jpg.jpg

Hi, Rediarmor, at first, quick glance, I would say that these are homecast conversions of castings made using Prins August's Toy Soldier molds. Out of the box, the mold set has simple bodies dressed in a tunic and trousers, both standing and marching, with heads clad with British grenadier bearskin caps or British peaked caps, and also bodies to make standing and marching flag-bearers.

Your figures make me think of those molds, based on the shape of the bases, the stride of the figures, and the general shape of the torsos. The heads are kitbashed or otherwise modified, and the flags appear to be scratched. The kit enables casting a flagstaff, to which we can attach paper or foil flags.

The other origin that comes to mind is possibly conversions of castings based on a classic Britains body. But the bases look thick, with a rounded-over edge, like the Prins August bases have.

Prost!
Brad

Brad, you are correct. I don't know why it didn't occur to me, and I have made Prince August models myself! If you look at the pic, the Sailors legs (ignore the converted bell bottoms) are virtually the same. The stretcher bearer in the background gives another comparison. Please excuse the picture quality. Thanks, I was convinced they were painted by a Mister Stadden, (perhaps they were). ;)

471jpg-1.jpg

You're very welcome! I love puzzles like this. They're nice conversions, in any case.

I have those molds, too, plus the Highlander set, and the Seven Years War Prussians, and some of the 40mm 18th Century molds. I haven't cast with those in a while, but it was with Prins August that I really dove into casting.

Did you get these in an auction, or at flea market or boot sale? They're a nice little find.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad. Yes I think they are a brilliant set, not sure if they were "official" Royal British Legion pieces or not, but certainly done to a very high standard. They were bought for me as a present, so I have no idea what price was asked, but I shall believe it was a bargain! I don't know if Prince August did any Females, but the Lady has lovely legs. The models came in a plain box, containing foam with cut-outs that look factory done. I have to admire the Standards, (all metal), they hang perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back