Red lancers with bent lances? (2 Viewers)

mort-aux-rois

Private
I’ve noticed in photos from some dioramas, as well as pre-owned figures on eBay, that the lance of some of the red lancer figures appears bent, or rather that the lengths of the lance extend from the hand at slightly different angles. Is this a common problem? I’d love to get a one, but I find the bent lance sorta distracting, and I’d be terrified to try to bend it back...

I’ve noticed in photos from some dioramas, as well as pre-owned figures on eBay, that the lance of some of the red lancer figures appears bent, or rather that the lengths of the lance extend from the hand at slightly different angles. Is this a common problem? I’d love to get a one, but I find the bent lance sorta distracting, and I’d be terrified to try to bend it back...

Unfortunately I find it a common problem with all manufacturers with various items, whether it be Lances, Rifles, Swords, Bayonets etc. Minor bending is one thing which is really easily rectified by a bit of gentle pressure and hopefully won't put you off collecting.
With FL Cavalry I also find I occasionally have to glue the reins back in position too, this is usually accomplished with a drop of superglue, since I don't think it worthwhile sending the item back for replacement as the same thing may occur.

Steve

I have noticed the same with FL rifles and bayonets. I gently bend them to straighten them but have broken one or two in the process. On occasion the problem cannot be fixed if the hand of the figure is holding the rifle in the middle and the two parts are not in line. Some FL ranges have rifles from a stronger metal (see woodland Indians) that do not easily bend. Does anyone know why the softer metal is used? Is is a matter of cost? I remember Matt on a previous post mentioning that he wished for rifles that don’t bend.

I don't know the mix of metals used by FL or others like WB, K&C, TG, KP CS use, but on castings from Ukraine or Russia I think a lot of them must have quite a high percentage of lead in the mix as their Sword, Spears Rifles etc are quite often twisted well out of shape on arrival.
But they are very pliable with the metal being so soft unlike the popular makers most of us collect that when they are bent, snap off !
What the answer is I don't know. But WB have in years gone by issued Metal Ceremonial TS with bendy plastic weapons and nowadays their swords on their collector ranges are mostly steel, which some like others dislike. I think you lose detail going down this route but also they are far less likely to break.

Steve

I receive a lot of figures from collectors for Mike De Marco (see https://forum.treefrogtreasures.com/showthread.php?54117-Michael-DeMarco-Painting-Services) to repair and he’s told me that FL uses a different kind of metal that is very difficult to solder. He does not recommend superglue. However, he’s found a way to work with their metal and make the weak points stronger than before.

If you have figures that need repair, please contact me.

I've been very lucky, I've only had one major problem with soft metal its been many moons ago and happened with the Russian Tauride Grenadier Regimental standard bearers. The flag poles used to be made of soft metal and it wasn't long before the weight of the flag made the poles collapsed and break.

Thank GOD First Legion has addressed this with future releases, and its no longer a problem going forward. :salute::

If you have figures that need repair, please contact me.

Good to know there's a place out there for repairs. I tried to straighten a bayonet on one figure and it snapped off entirely, and it was a complete **** show trying to glue it back on. That only cost me $60, but I'm terrified at the idea of trying straighten a lance on a $200 figure. That's why I figured people just left them bent? I remember seeing a bent lance in sotnik's magisterial borodino diorama... it made me wonder how common the problem was.

Depending on the severity of the problem, his rates are very reasonable.

I would not fall into paranoia on that one. FL and pretty much all TS from known manufacturers are well packaged. Also you do have their warranty if something arrives damaged...

I actually haven't had that problem with lances, but I must say that I have actually held a lance, and they are not quite as rigid as one might expect. It really depends on what era the lance is from, because I believe that later lances were made out of more "exotic" materials and were more rigid. That said, when you have a very long, thin piece of wood, and you suspend it from one point 1/3 of the way down, it will certainly have a little bend to it.

The Red Lancers ship with a small diameter wooden dowel in a straw the length of the lance. The straw has tape on it. You must take your time removing the straw with dowel. Study it for awhile. I found a set of small sewing scissors with a pointed end works best. Even better are set with curved pointed end. The lance can be adjusted as needed, it will not snap. If you are in a cold climate, then place in sunny window for a few minutes. Place your thumb and forefinger at the place to bend and do it VERY slow.

The Red Lancers ship with a small diameter wooden dowel in a straw the length of the lance. The straw has tape on it. You must take your time removing the straw with dowel. Study it for awhile. I found a set of small sewing scissors with a pointed end works best. Even better are set with curved pointed end. The lance can be adjusted as needed, it will not snap. If you are in a cold climate, then place in sunny window for a few minutes. Place your thumb and forefinger at the place to bend and do it VERY slow.

SWEET! Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to hear. Gonna get me some red lancers for my desk now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back