Response to tree problem (1 Viewer)

JGMiniatures

Private
In response to a subsequent post I would like to offer perhaps an explaination for Beaufighters problem . All my trees are made from a combination of Natural materials and to create a realistic effect one has to compromise on strength, so these items a naturally fragile and must be handled with care.
The trees are coated in a product that adds strength and flexibility, this glue can be dissolved by certain solvents especially turpentine which is made from pine resin as well as white spirit its artificial alternative.
If you live in a house with exposed interior wooden walls or panelling or if you have recently painted your doors and window frames with gloss paints the solvents in the wood and paint will escape into the air and over a period of time may affect the glue on the trees by dissolving it and then the trees become brittle and dry out.

I have only been notified of this problem once before By Mr Jim Hillestad of the Toy Soldier Museum with regard to some trees which dried out in this way , he had had them for at least 5 years or so and as some of you may know his museum is a wooden building.

This is the only explaination I can offer and please if anyone has a problem with any of my products please contact me direct at sales@jgminiatures.com and I will try my best to resolve the problem to your satisfaction.
Happy New Year :)
John

I've had this happen but I 've had my trees for quite a few years.Beautiful products.
Mark

I've had this happen but I 've had my trees for quite a few years.Beautiful products.
Mark

Thanks Marco, The trees are fragile especially the Birches, if any main branches break they can be glued back with superglue and rocket powder . I use rocket hot glue and rocket powder these are made by a british company called Deluxe Materials and are available from some model stores in the US.
Support the tree or lay it down so you can use both hands, hold the broken branch in position and put a spot of glue on the join then sprinkle the rocket powder over the join these gives an instant bond.
Carefully turn the tree over and repeat on the other side of the join. I also suggest you use a microtip on the glue bottle also available from Deluxe Materials these are fine nozzles that give greater accuracy with administering the glue.

If the problem is that all the branches or leaves are drying out and falling off without being touched then, just like the real thing , the tree has reached the end of its natural life . This may happen faster because of household solvents in the air as previously mentioned affecting the sealant i use ,but the trees should last at least 20 years or so if handled with care .
As in a previous post, hairspray can be used to delay or remedy the problem .

John

Thanks Marco, The trees are fragile especially the Birches, if any main branches break they can be glued back with superglue and rocket powder . I use rocket hot glue and rocket powder these are made by a british company called Deluxe Materials and are available from some model stores in the US.
Support the tree or lay it down so you can use both hands, hold the broken branch in position and put a spot of glue on the join then sprinkle the rocket powder over the join these gives an instant bond.
Carefully turn the tree over and repeat on the other side of the join. I also suggest you use a microtip on the glue bottle also available from Deluxe Materials these are fine nozzles that give greater accuracy with administering the glue.

If the problem is that all the branches or leaves are drying out and falling off without being touched then, just like the real thing , the tree has reached the end of its natural life . This may happen faster because of household solvents in the air as previously mentioned affecting the sealant i use ,but the trees should last at least 20 years or so if handled with care .
As in a previous post, hairspray can be used to delay or remedy the problem .

John

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to respond in such a detailed fashion. I just came across your follow up. Unfortunately, my small Ardennes forest only made it c. two years (far from 20) not including the time these items were "on the shelf" so to speak. I think in my case that an extremely dry climate (Arizona, USA) might have led to their demise. It would be easier to accept if these items were not so costly-but that is the hand made price for realism. No worries though, as you have an extensive list of items I can still enjoy from your production line.

Thank You,
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back