Restoring Hollowcast Figures- Worthwhile? (1 Viewer)

macchim-5

Private 2
I stumbled across some Hollowcast figures, cavalry, fox hunters, and foot. They all have paint chipping and a few have lost their heads. Is there any point in restoring them for resale? Do people want restored figures, assuming the work is done well?

M.

Hi M,

There is a market for restored figures but its not going to make as much as new sets and figures.

Dave

Well restored figures always have a place in the market, particularly on e-Bay. Be sure they're identified as such.

Bosun Al

So someone might buy a restored figure, but for less.

My concern was that with some antiques if you restore them the value completely plummets. Pinball machines I believe are one example.

M.

You shouldn't do restoration ad hoc. I suggest that if there is a substantial number of these figures in your possession, you check them out against any widely available catalog and auction lists on their rarity, value, condition etc.

There are a lot of experts on this forum too (excluding me) if you take clear photos who can advise and point you in the right direction.

Rgds Victor

So someone might buy a restored figure, but for less.

My concern was that with some antiques if you restore them the value completely plummets. Pinball machines I believe are one example.

M.

I wouldn't say that that's a hard and fast rule. First of all, it depends on the condition of your toy soldiers and how much paint loss and other wear or damage there is. From what you describe, it sounds like you're not going to lose anything by restoring them or having someone do it. A picture would help us give you more specific responses.

Second, as Al noted, if you're planning on selling your figure, or getting it insured, or involving it in any other kind of transaction where someone is going to give you money or insure the value, you want to identify the figure as restored.

And as Mike noted, there is a market for restored figures. There has been, almost since the original hollowcast era. People modified off-the-shelf figures back then, too. Those people make up one of the sources from which today's hobby of military miniatures arose. There are vendors who sell parts to restore figures, like old Britains, for example. If you have Britians, I recommend looking for such a vendor, and I'd make sure he's licensed or otherwise approved by Britains to sell the parts. London Bridge Collector's Toys in Emmaus, PA is one such vendor. Other current makers provide parts for some of the other hollowcast brands. johnnybach can speak to some of those brands and sources for replacement parts. There are many among us who like to paint, or cast and paint, who like to restore old hollowcast figures.

If you would, please, I'm sure we'd all like to see some photos of your find, and if you work on them yourself, we'd certainly like to see your work.

Prost!
Brad

Hi - I restore hollowcast figures - all of the time. However, I do it mostly for fun and enjoyment - rather than selling to make a profit.

I like to buy them - from e-bay, or other places - and actually enjoy buying them with a bit more to do than re-painting - so that means repairing or converting them too.

Once I've obtained my figures, I usually take a look at some of the Auction Houses - to get an idea of prices asked for similar examples - and to avoid the possibility of devaluing rare figures.

The price you have paid - and the price you THINK you might get will help you decide whether it's worth the effort - as you will also need to take into account the time spent repairing, converting and painting - as well as the costs of paint, brushes, cleaners, tools and other expenses, such as spare parts and postal charges paid to get the parts to you.

Then you need to sell it - and hopefully sell it - with enough left over after the sale costs, to have made a profit - once you have deducted all of the above costs.

From my experience, I don't think you will make a million - but may have made a small profit - IF you exclude your time.

I think it can be a useful way to "sell on" restored figures that you no longer require - and IF you don't include your restoration time - could show you a modest profit. But if you mean, could this become a viable business - from my own experience, I somehow doubt it. A lot of buyers won't want to buy "restored" figures - they will prefer perfect examples ( unless they are super-rare). Those that do - won't want to spend as much as a perfect specimen. And lastly - yes, you DO need to specify any repairs or additions.

Hope that helps you decide. jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back