Roden 1/48 Airco DH.9 British bomber (1 Viewer)

cnq

Sergeant Major
The Airco DH.9 (from de Havilland 9) – also known after 1920 as the de Havilland DH.9 – was a British single-engined biplane bomber developed and deployed during the First World War.

The DH.9 was a development of Airco's earlier successful DH.4, with which it shared many components. These were mated to an all-new fuselage and the BHP/Galloway Adriatic engine, which promised increased performance. Anticipating its usefulness, the type was ordered in very large numbers for Britain's Royal Flying Corps (RFC).

Upon entering service, the DH.9's performance was found to be unsatisfactory. The Adriatic engine was unreliable and failed to provide the expected power, which gave the DH.9 poorer performance than the aircraft it had been meant to replace. The performance deficit was blamed for the heavy losses they suffered over the Western Front. The redesigned DH.9A was fitted with a more powerful and reliable American Liberty L-12 engine which rectified the shortcomings of the original DH.9 model.

This is my 3rd Roden kit in WW1. Overall it's a decent kit with ok parts fitting. It's my only choice now for 1/48 WW1 planes regarding to price and availability. Eduard kits are now hard to find and expensive (which I prefer to work with).

Model is depicting No.47 Sqn RAF, British Expeditionary Corps in Russia. It looks to carry more bombs than the larger German Gotha

DWt6D8l.jpg

G62PfOu.jpg

Jowacsi.jpg

q1HSxcd.jpg

SCnVrck.jpg

7JkCOGQ.jpg

brcYIDN.jpg

BLhRI7Q.jpg

N3srBRV.jpg

LLKkYOV.jpg

Grygorenko.jpg

Great looking model . Hope I am not hijacking your thread but Valery Grygorenko the artist who did the boxart for Roden was killed by shrapnel near his home in Irpin a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back