Royal Express Durbar Elephants (1 Viewer)

TheDurbarMan

Private 2
Hi All, just wondering if there are any other collectors out there who have any more examples of Durbar elephants and/or other sets by Royal Express? I’ve included photos of two elephants from my collection: one is the Mysore Elephant (which has a howdah made of wood) and the other is the Elephant of a Shan Prince (it’s similar to the same elephant made by Marlborough but the Marlborough elephant has its trunk up in salute whereas the Royal Express elephant has its trunk facing downwards). Best wishes

Attachments

• 12291FFE-A26A-4D23-8E9D-D57B585252F5.jpeg
    12291FFE-A26A-4D23-8E9D-D57B585252F5.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 930A6AB6-FBE4-4593-8782-084DA2669CED.jpeg
    930A6AB6-FBE4-4593-8782-084DA2669CED.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 148
Very nice! Never even heard of Royal express. Are they a new company?

Hi! Thanks! Bill and Kay Speer from the US owned Royal Express. I was lucky enough to order the Shan Elephant directly from them (after finding the Mysore Elephant on eBay). I saw some elephant sets on the OTS auction last year I think but most of them were generic (not based on actual elephants that were at the 1903 Durbar) and one which I think was the Travencore Elephant sold for over USD 2000! I remember seeing some Indian cavalry sets by Royal Express and a palanquin too. Was just wondering if anyone else out these has any other information/pictures of other sets by Royal Express.

These are gorgeous models. I am glad that sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Love seeing the Royal Express sets actually in someone’s collection! I’ve been hoping to stumble onto one over the years but they are scare and like you mentioned really pricy! I’ve got a lot of different elephants from Marlborough, WBritains and Hiriart as well as one amazing set from Beau Geste. But no Royal Express yet.

Thanks for Sharing

Dave

Hi! Thanks! Bill and Kay Speer from the US owned Royal Express. I was lucky enough to order the Shan Elephant directly from them (after finding the Mysore Elephant on eBay). I saw some elephant sets on the OTS auction last year I think but most of them were generic (not based on actual elephants that were at the 1903 Durbar) and one which I think was the Travencore Elephant sold for over USD 2000! I remember seeing some Indian cavalry sets by Royal Express and a palanquin too. Was just wondering if anyone else out these has any other information/pictures of other sets by Royal Express.

I this company still existing ?
Where can they be contatced ?
Any webb adress ? Even facebook ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I this company still existing ?
Where can they be contatced ?
Any webb adress ? Even facebook ?

Thanks

Hi. Unfortunately I do not know what the current status is. They never had a website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Unfortunately I do not know what the current status is. They never had a website.

Hi I was looking around on the forum and saw a couple of threads from 2009 (referring to Royal Empress Ltd) and 2012 - the latter included the following contact details but mentioned Bill and Kay had retired.

Royal Express Ltd, GA, Bill & Kay Speer, tel: 404-355-0971 e-mail address is wspeer@bellsouth.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back