Scotish Highlander Uniforms 1900's - 1914's (1 Viewer)

craig1985taylor

Command Sergeant Major
I was wondering if anyone has any photos or pictures of the Scotish Highland Regiments around the early 1900's to about the start of WW1? Or could point me in the direction of where to find them?

The Regiments I'm after are,
The Black Watch,
The Gordon Highlanders,
The Seaforth Highlanders,
The Cameron Highlanders,
& The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders,

I'm planning on painting a officer, Private & Piper for each of these Regiments & I want to get the Sporrans & other details right.

Cheers Craig

Hi Craig - Go to your local library - and ask them if they have this book (If you can print this pic off - take it with you). They may not allow you to take it out - as it may be a "read only" copy. I found it in my local library - and it is just the thing for all of the Scottish Regiments around the time you want. If they don't have one - you can ask them to get one using the inter-library loan system.

The book has loads of watercolour illustrations inside ( see sample page for Gordons below) - done by Richard Simkin - famous Victorian artist. I liked it so much - I bought a copy from Amazon, for around £20. However, the library WILL let you photocopy around 10% of a book - so just copy the pages you want. I use it all of the time - and it's just beautiful. Perfect Xmas Present too! That ought to do it, - hope that helps - johnnybach

PIC_1083.jpg

Gordons.jpg

Thanks JB just placed an order for one on Amazon can't wait to have a delve through it :D

Cheers Craig

Hi Craig,
Hopefully the attached three plates will give you a reasonably accurate idea of the last set of full dress uniforms of a the Scottish highland regiments right before the First World War, more precisely the year 1914. They were rigorously researched and drawn by the late LtCol Olaf MacLeod in a book titled THEIR GLORY SHALL NOT BE BLOTTED OUT, LtCol O. MacLeod, Lutterworth Press, Cambridge, 1986, ISBN 0-7188-2673-6. I had to reduce the size of the images to conform with the memory requirements of the forum, but it appears they will be of adequate size. Hope this helps.
Yours aye,
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG.jpg

Jim,
Thank you very much for the pictures they will help a great deal :D I can't wait to get started now.

Cheers Craig

Some pictures of the pipers that you might find useful. Black Watch, Camerons, Gordons, Seaforth and Argyll and Sutherland. Trooper

Attachments

• pmbw.jpg
    pmbw.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 167
  • pmcam.jpg
    pmcam.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 201
  • pmgord.jpg
    pmgord.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 209
  • pmsh.jpg
    pmsh.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 221
  • pma+s.jpg
    pma+s.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 200
Thank you very much Trooper! These will be very helpful :) one question with the 2 Gordon Pipers & 2 Seaforth Pipers why do they have different Sporrans?

Craig

Craig,

There have been a few Osprey books over the years dealing with the Highland regiments that might be worth seeking out.

Another source of images are old postcards- old Tuck's, Valentines and the like. They are cheap to come by on E-bay and have a lot of detail.

Scott

Thank you very much Trooper! These will be very helpful :) one question with the 2 Gordon Pipers & 2 Seaforth Pipers why do they have different Sporrans?

Craig

If you read the note under the pictures you will see that they represent the 1st and 2nd Battalions. Following the Cardwell Reforms of 1881 various numbered regiments were banded together to form two battalion regiments with a title rather than number. A lot of these regiments hung on to little distinctions espiecally within the bands which were funded by the officers. A classic example is the HLI where one battalion had a Bugle major, the other a drum major. One battalion had a cruciform hilted sword the other didn't, caplines were looped differently, the swordbelts worn under the plaid by one, under it by the other etc. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse! Trooper

Craig - looks like you are now becoming more aware of the potential minefield you are stepping into with painting up your Scots soldiers! Fear not - help is at hand from some of the worthies you are meeting on the forum - who will help you out when you get a bit confused ( just like they help me!). That book from Jim is a cracker - but unfortunately is out of print - and costs the proverbial arm & leg if you can find a used one.{eek3}

For me, my Simkin's illustrations provide a reasonably priced start - so glad you've ordered it - it's a wonderful read too - as the text is by the late (great) Bill Carman.:) You will fid dates under each illustration - which helps stop you making mistakes, by having your soldiers painted as they were at different times in their history, when uniform details changed.

Another tip for you - input "Gordon Highlanders - Images" (to take just one example) into Google - and you will get dozens of pictures up. There will be a lot of dross, of course, but the occasional gem. I then use the "save as" function( right click on mouse) - and store the pics chosen in files for future use. I used to print off the ones I would use for painting - but now paint straight from the screen for details I require, (Saves paper and ink). Saving them into files stores them to bring up the pic at any time later. JUST USE FOR YOURSELF AS A PAINTING GUIDE though - as you may infringe copyright if you are tempted to use them for anything else.:eek:

Lastly - welcome again to painting your own, and look upon the research required as all part of the fun - and not a chore. It is great fun, finding out details - like the ones about differences in Battalion dress, as mentioned by Trooper.^&confuse

P.S make a start on your "Save as" files, by saving the contributions from Jim and Trooper - I have!!! - thanks both

Hope the above helps get you started ^&grin johnnybach

Craig,

There have been a few Osprey books over the years dealing with the Highland regiments that might be worth seeking out.

Another source of images are old postcards- old Tuck's, Valentines and the like. They are cheap to come by on E-bay and have a lot of detail.

Scott

Hey Scott,

Thanks for reminding me about the Osprey books I have a few of them so will go see if I can dig them out!

Cheers Craig

If you read the note under the pictures you will see that they represent the 1st and 2nd Battalions. Following the Cardwell Reforms of 1881 various numbered regiments were banded together to form two battalion regiments with a title rather than number. A lot of these regiments hung on to little distinctions espiecally within the bands which were funded by the officers. A classic example is the HLI where one battalion had a Bugle major, the other a drum major. One battalion had a cruciform hilted sword the other didn't, caplines were looped differently, the swordbelts worn under the plaid by one, under it by the other etc. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse! Trooper

Hey Trooper thanks for the info I've been using my phone to look at Treefrog recently so couldn't bring the picture up big enought to read what it said under each one! Thanks for explaining the differences for me :) sounds like there are a lot of things to take into acount before I dip my brush lol

Cheers Craig

Craig - looks like you are now becoming more aware of the potential minefield you are stepping into with painting up your Scots soldiers! Fear not - help is at hand from some of the worthies you are meeting on the forum - who will help you out when you get a bit confused ( just like they help me!). That book from Jim is a cracker - but unfortunately is out of print - and costs the proverbial arm & leg if you can find a used one.{eek3}

For me, my Simkin's illustrations provide a reasonably priced start - so glad you've ordered it - it's a wonderful read too - as the text is by the late (great) Bill Carman.:) You will fid dates under each illustration - which helps stop you making mistakes, by having your soldiers painted as they were at different times in their history, when uniform details changed.

Another tip for you - input "Gordon Highlanders - Images" (to take just one example) into Google - and you will get dozens of pictures up. There will be a lot of dross, of course, but the occasional gem. I then use the "save as" function( right click on mouse) - and store the pics chosen in files for future use. I used to print off the ones I would use for painting - but now paint straight from the screen for details I require, (Saves paper and ink). Saving them into files stores them to bring up the pic at any time later. JUST USE FOR YOURSELF AS A PAINTING GUIDE though - as you may infringe copyright if you are tempted to use them for anything else.:eek:

Lastly - welcome again to painting your own, and look upon the research required as all part of the fun - and not a chore. It is great fun, finding out details - like the ones about differences in Battalion dress, as mentioned by Trooper.^&confuse

P.S make a start on your "Save as" files, by saving the contributions from Jim and Trooper - I have!!! - thanks both

Hope the above helps get you started ^&grin johnnybach

Hi JB,

I think minefield is good a word as any when it comes to the different Highland markings lol

I want to say a big thank you for your help & encuragment as I take my 1st painting steps you have really motivated me to just give it ago!!! Also thank you for pointing out the book I can't wait to get it as it looks great! :D

As for the saving the images for future refrence I'm one step ahead of you got them all backed up on my computer already lol

Thanks again Craig

Hi Craig,
In haste forgot to provide some other images which are Gordon Highlander specific from my own collection. The mannequin is in the uniform of a Lieutenant-Colonel, circa 1936. But as you can see, little changed from 1914. Among several features unique to the Gordon Highlander uniform are the black buttons on their gaiters (spats). There still is a limited controversy as to their origin, but most commonly held is that they commemorate the death of their commanding general Sir John Moore, at the battle of Corunna (a regimental battle honor) in 1808.
Yours aye,
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
37.jpg
39.jpg
41.jpg
Simkin21P.jpg

Last edited:
Hi JB,

I think minefield is good a word as any when it comes to the different Highland markings lol

I want to say a big thank you for your help & encuragment as I take my 1st painting steps you have really motivated me to just give it ago!!! Also thank you for pointing out the book I can't wait to get it as it looks great! :D

As for the saving the images for future refrence I'm one step ahead of you got them all backed up on my computer already lol

Thanks again Craig

Aha! - Well done - I have only recently learned how to save files like that on computer - so chuck out the advice to everyone - as it has so helped me to find and record items I want to make up and paint. Good luck - I am so glad to have helped motivate you - as many others motivated me to have a go before I started - including one Ozzie gent in particular! Incidentally - have a look at his site on painting tartans - it's just the best!

Wow! Jim - Now that's what I call a Toy Soldier! - you must be a true enthusiast to collect in that scale!^&grin

Jim thanks for the extra photos they are all helping me a lot! :) that sure is one big Toy Soldier lol ;) I always enjoy seeing snipits of your Soldier Room!

Craig

JB thanks for the reminder about Obee's website on painting Tartan, ill defo be using it as my no1 source for when I get to that stage of the painting lol

Craig

JB thanks for the reminder about Obee's website on painting Tartan, ill defo be using it as my no1 source for when I get to that stage of the painting lol

Craig

Craig,

I'm glad to be of servcie to toy soldier painters, the reson I posted that page was that it took me many an hour to get the taratans to look right, and the other differences with Scottish Uniforms, Sporran, Sox, Hat band, and after compiling that info, why not share it with other like minded people worldwide?

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/ToySoldier/tartan.htm

Oh .... the 'joys' of the internet?

ENJOY :)

John

Thank you John, your time & effort in posting how you paint them is very much apreciated :) I know if I'd of just jumped in & tryed it myself I'd of messed up compleatly! Now I have a chance of getting them something like lol

Cheers Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back