Sears Wishbook (1 Viewer)

GIGene

I heard a story on WGN radio in Chicago, that Sears is bringing back the wishbook!

Louis, you never heard of Sear's wishbook? The Christmas catalog of toys put out by Sears. During the fifties- sixties it was the bible of kids reading before Christmas. Color pictures of all the Marx playsets, trains, dolls etc. They stopped making it for some years but now but there is talk of them starting up again. The old wishbooks are collectors items and some make re-pro copies to sell. Playset magazine had someone selling them. When I was a kid I wore out the pages. Now I doubt they would have such interesting stuff like BB guns. Leadmen

Last edited:
Thanks Leadman, I did not know those Christmas Catalogues were called the wishbook, but I remember pouring over them as a child, and asking for the Guns of Navarone Playset.

Louis, you never heard of Sear's wishbook? The Christmas catalog of toys put out by Sears. During the fifties- sixties it was the bible of kids reading before Christmas. Color pictures of all the Marx playsets, trains, dolls etc. They stopped making it for some years but now but there is talk of them starting up again. The old wishbooks are collectors items and some make re-pro copies to sell. Playset magazine had someone selling them. When I was a kid I wore out the pages. Now I doubt they would have such interesting stuff like BB guns. Leadmen

Leadmen and all
The company advertising "The Big Toy Box as Sears" in Playset Magazine is Windmill Group from Calabasas, Ca. 800-470-5540. I have this book and it's truly awesome. Includes 584 pages of "boys" toys from the 1951 - 1969 Sears Wishbooks, and a reprint of each year's Wishbook cover. It's well worth the $49.95 price tag.. Mine is getting worn out - I may have to order another!

Jim

Jim: I saw the advertisement in Playset magazine. Is the pictures in color? I was wondering if it was worth Fifty bucks. John

Jim: I wanted to add the nice work you done on the castle at OTSN show. Leadmen

Jim: I saw the advertisement in Playset magazine. Is the pictures in color? I was wondering if it was worth Fifty bucks. John

John,

Many of the pages are in color but the majority are in b & w... As an example- all of the cover reprints are in color.. Also color pages of 1959 Marx Wagon Train and Ben Hur, many other playsets (Alamo, Blue & Gray, etc.), gun/holster set in color, etc. Definitely not all playsets in color.. But my opinion it is well worth the money - great reference material and memories.. I don't know anyone that has it - that doesn't say it's worth the money...

Oh - and thx for the kind words regarding the castle.. I'm glad that so many people have enjoyed it!

Jim

I received the wishbook today. Thanks for the information on Classic Toys having it on sale. The book is really neat and a good reference. I know I will have to battle my grown kids when they start looking through it and saying " I remember this Christmas when I got this toy or that playset. Nowadays, I think of what a nanny nation we have become. Worry-worry- no war toys - blah blah- pointy things that will hurt my precious kid. I do see the need for child safety but some complaints are ridiculous. My kids had toy guns, GI Joes' and they turned out to be well adjusted professionals. Anyhow I recomend the book if any one is interested in old toys. Leadmen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back