Spears & swords for 54/60mm figures? (1 Viewer)

Gribeauval

Private 2
Is there any source for metal spears (and swords) for 54/60 mm figures? I have had several Del Prado cavalry arrive with every spear broken. Not a big deal to drill out the hand, but I cannot find any replacement weapons. Any sources out there? Thanks!

Good question. I don't know of any purpose-made sets of weapons, certainly not in white metal, meant for this particular job. Even in plastic, I can think only of pieces included in kits from makers like Airfix or Historex. I'm using a hussar's saber with my Peipp figure of von Ziethen, for example, because the metal part was missing when I got the kit and it wasn't worth it to me to send to Germany for a replacement.

I would take parts like that and make myself a mold, and cast a bunch of them to have on hand for just such purposes.

As for swords for the Del Prado figures, I'd use brass rod, hammered flat and then cut and filed to shape. That'd give a nice, rigid replacement, that should hold up to subsequent handling. For spears, I'd also use brass rod. Again, it can be shaped as necessary, and is a durable material.

Prost!
Brad

Andrea makes some unpainted metal weapons kits...

Viking Shields SM-A07
Viking Weapons SM-06
Medieval Weapons SM-A02
Roman Weapons SM-A31

they have others...

I find them smallish...

I have used Brad's spear technique and it works very well...

Sounds like they're pretty specific, too. Might be more effort to convert them, if they can be at all.

Phoenix also had some weapons sets in their catalog, back in the day. They were more medieval and Renaissance in pattern. They were diorama accessories, to put on the walls of a castle or manor house room, for example.

Prost!
Brad

Is there any source for metal spears (and swords) for 54/60 mm figures? I have had several Del Prado cavalry arrive with every spear broken. Not a big deal to drill out the hand, but I cannot find any replacement weapons. Any sources out there? Thanks!

Again, "Back in the day", Langley Models and IMRIE/RISLEY made "weapons" packets for Medieval figures or scenes.

Might be difficult to find, the I/R package "C-81" does include one spear.

Weapons.JPG

You can buy any Imrie Risley part still in production individually from I/R under their new name,Saratoga Soldier.If you get on their website you can request prices. You can still buy any individual Imrie Risley part still in production from I/R under their new name,Saratoga Soldier.If you go on their website you can ask for prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take parts like that and make myself a mold, and cast a bunch of them to have on hand for just such purposes.

As for swords for the Del Prado figures, I'd use brass rod, hammered flat and then cut and filed to shape. That'd give a nice, rigid replacement, that should hold up to subsequent handling. For spears, I'd also use brass rod. Again, it can be shaped as necessary, and is a durable material.

Prost!
Brad

Like Brad, I have a friend who made me a mould of a musket and so when I need a barrel/bayonet I can cast one, then pin that to the figure that needs the repair.

Unlike Brad, and his brass rod, I just use steel wire, and hammer that flat, then use a file to 'hone the blade' and leave a small part on the lower end. I then drill into the hilt of the sword and then glue the blade into that.

This is the process, but using a cast blade to repair a K&C Cuirassier

rep6.jpg
rep7.jpg
rep8.jpg

Spears are also steel rod but of it needs a bigger spearhead that I can make by flattening the tip, I will cast something, then file to suit the shape.

Hope Bard and my comments help?

John

I've even used the big staples used on appliance packaging, too. Rigid enough to hold its shape and stand up to wear, but soft enough to be cut and filed to shape.

Prost!
Brad

I have a friend that is a dealer...
he sells a lot of the connoisseur figures...

as a lot of their swords are plug-ins...that are removable...
a lot of them come with an extra sword...

he has given me a half dozen or so to mend broken swords...
they are steel...
they are sharp...

they have a "male prong" on the hand end...
so all I have to do is drill out the hand and glue in the new blade...

maybe you know a guy that knows a guy and can get some...^&grin

Dear friends you have a list at our disposal for accessories, in XLS form, free to donwnload, with direct links to makers .
https://www.mirofsoft.com/adresses/

Figurines , Wargame, Flat, Toys, uniforms upgraded 07 Jun 2017 > 2000 links
just go to page accessories

Best

Dear friends you have a list at our disposal for accessories, in XLS form, free to donwnload, with direct links to makers .
https://www.mirofsoft.com/adresses/

Figurines , Wargame, Flat, Toys, uniforms upgraded 07 Jun 2017 > 2000 links
just go to page accessories

Best

That is an amazing resource site! Thanks for mentioning it here. I think I will try the brass rod approach since I only need three or four spears. I would love to substitute swords, but recreating Achaemenid swords is a bit beyond my skill level.

What about London Bridge, the make replacements parts for the old Britains Toy Soldiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back