St Elizabeth's Hospital Arnhem - 1/30th scale (1 Viewer)

arnhem44mad

1st Lieutenant
I decided to have a go at building a model of St Elizabeth's Hospital in Arnhem for my Arnhem diorama.

I have lots of pictures of the outside. My intention is to have an area at the front (main entrance) with porch which the K&C German ambulance can fit under and to have it seem as though they are unloading a wounded soldier into the hospital.

I also want to create a first floor area where I intend to have the German medical sets in:

The 3 beds
Nurses
Etc

There will be an area on the ground floor for the wheel chair sets to move around and an area for the surgeon and appropriate nurses to be displayed in.

There will be a mix of British and German wounded around the hospital being tended to.

The building itself will be about 17-18 inches wide and about 6 inches deep. Heightwise well let's just say not too big!

The building will have small amounts of battle damage and be as realistic as possible to the real one!

Scott

P.S. wish me luck!

Sounds like a plan Scott. Perhaps some progress shots as it comes together. You certainly will be working with some exciting Figures in this range. Andy did this theme well. Robin.

I decided to have a go at building a model of St Elizabeth's Hospital in Arnhem for my Arnhem diorama.

I have lots of pictures of the outside. My intention is to have an area at the front (main entrance) with porch which the K&C German ambulance can fit under and to have it seem as though they are unloading a wounded soldier into the hospital.

I also want to create a first floor area where I intend to have the German medical sets in:

The 3 beds
Nurses
Etc

There will be an area on the ground floor for the wheel chair sets to move around and an area for the surgeon and appropriate nurses to be displayed in.

There will be a mix of British and German wounded around the hospital being tended to.

The building itself will be about 17-18 inches wide and about 6 inches deep. Heightwise well let's just say not too big!
8A5980E3-4332-4D64-BC4D-7438BA227EDE.jpegB8145D24-79B5-4BCC-8BF3-E3B03C3821ED.jpeg
The building will have small amounts of battle damage and be as realistic as possible to the real one!

Scott

P.S. wish me luck!

Scott I would buy the playmobil house and paint it up

Some reference material:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 373
  • Elizabeth1_Blog-Battle-Of-Arnhem-ArnhemLife.jpg
    Elizabeth1_Blog-Battle-Of-Arnhem-ArnhemLife.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 361
  • Pic_May5.jpg
    Pic_May5.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 366
  • saint-elizabeth.jpg
    saint-elizabeth.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 371
  • depositphotos_17472329-stock-photo-the-elisabeth-hospital-also-st.jpg
    depositphotos_17472329-stock-photo-the-elisabeth-hospital-also-st.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 410
Planning Stages:

Some background knowledge:

I used to keep my toy soldier collection in a small box room inside my house for about 5 years until 2006 when my mum had our house's loft converted so that I could out my collection up there (much to my dad's dismay).:wink2:

Unbeknownst to my my mum had even planned to have kitchen units installed up there rather than tables so that i could also have dioramas inside of the units as well as on top (this turned out extremely handy for storing boxes).

The lengths of the units varied but all but one large section are 24 Inches wide. The large section aforementioned is 36 inches wide).

This may seem like a trivial factor in the grand scheme, however when you take into account the fact that Market Garden is my main interest and collection and one of my main diorama intentions, it becomes clearer why this is of a higher importance!

John Gittins (JG Miniatures) started producing bases which were specifically advertised to go with K&C 1/30th figures. These bases are 6 Inches by 6 Inches by 1inch thick. This meant that I could have exactly 4 of these together to fit the width of the kitchen units.

Now come back to the model of the hospital.

I intend to make the hospital building about 18 inches long - 3 of these JG bases - and about 6 inch wide (JG base width). It could possibly be longer as I intend to have two grass bases on either side of the building to give the image of grounds.

Here are some pics of the of bases.

Scott

Attachments

• 365.jpg
    365.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 340
  • 370.jpg
    370.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 325
  • 372.jpg
    372.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 382.jpg
    382.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 332
Started some drawings tonight.

11 pages of drawings to scale.

Can't post pics as they're too large!

Scott

In the end I opted for a 3D Printed model from Paul and was not disappointed!

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back