Stadden Studio Painted or not?? (1 Viewer)

shozza69

Private
Hi Guys & Gals,
I have just inherited approx. 60 painted Stadden figures 90mm tall and all have Chas Stadden on basses. I am looking to sell them but having looked on the internet some are advertised as Studio painted and some are not. How would I tell if they are studio painted or not. FYI The paint job on them is very good. Thanks for any advise.

Welcome, Shozz! This is a question for our resident Stadden statuette fanatic, Cardigan. He's probably best able to tell.

Can you post pictures of some samples? That might help.

Prost!
Brad

Welcome, Shozz! This is a question for our resident Stadden statuette fanatic, Cardigan. He's probably best able to tell.

Can you post pictures of some samples? That might help.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad,
thank you for reply, I will post some pics later this evening.

I have taken a look at Cardigan's profile and he has got some nice figures.

Kind Regards
Shaun

Yes, Cardigan600 should be able to help you. Send him a PM. He's located in
Ireland. I'll e-mail him also that you posted. He hasn't been very active here
of late. Or I could. We both have the Stadden catalogs and help identify
the model number. Some models have two or more variations in painting,
i.e. Summer uniform or Winter uniform. Some models are quite rare. Not
all of course.

Pictures would help. One thing to look for is the painters signature/mark on
the backside of the base on the bottom edge. Sometimes it is missing. Or
if you have the boxes the figures came in helps. Also look on eBay. Some
are not studio painted and is usually obvious. Good clear pictures would help.

There is a dealer about 200 miles south of you that buys collections. He puts
them on eBay, which you can do yourself. Only list about five at a time as you
get higher bids that way. Generally they go for £75-100 or £200 if I bid. The
mounted ones go for upwards of £250-300. I have over 350, so the ones I want
are hard to find. Monitor eBay for a while to get an idea. If you want to sell in
bulk to a dealer expect less---£50 or less each.

Also, you might want to try this auction house that specializes in Toy Soldiers.
Maybe they can give you an estimate. Generally they go for far less at an
auction, and then you have to pay the fees for their services. About 25% I think.
Maybe that is a good idea if you are in a hurry.
http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/Index.aspx

Personally I'd take my time and maximize your inheritance. Say £6,000 instead
of £3,000.

I forgot one other thing. Generally the Studio painted 90mm
Stadden figures have green felt on the bottom. If you see a
figure without it, it is questionable. You can buy the felt, and paste
it on yourself, but the felt is of a different texture and not cut
very well. The metal plate under the felt is also missing.

I forgot one other thing. Generally the Studio painted 90mm
Stadden figures have green felt on the bottom. If you see a
figure without it, it is questionable. You can buy the felt, and paste
it on yourself, but the felt is of a different texture and not cut
very well. The metal plate under the felt is also missing.

Hi BLReed, thank you for the information. I was considering putting them on ebay so your advise on the amount to list is a good idea. I tried uploading some pictures but kept getting "error" message when uploading??? I will try again later or I may put them on a picture sharing website if this fails.

Once again thanks for the valuable info.
Once I get some pictures done I will contact you as I am not sure what some of the figures are.

Kind Regards
Shaun

Hi BLReed, thank you for the information. I was considering putting them on ebay so your advise on the amount to list is a good idea. I tried uploading some pictures but kept getting "error" message when uploading??? I will try again later or I may put them on a picture sharing website if this fails.

Once again thanks for the valuable info.
Once I get some pictures done I will contact you as I am not sure what some of the figures are.

Kind Regards
Shaun
Hi BLReed,
please see the link below which has pictures of all the figures from the collection.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa469/shozza69/Stadden Collection/

Regards
shozza69

Hi BLReed,
please see the link below which has pictures of all the figures from the collection.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa469/shozza69/Stadden Collection/

Regards
shozza69

Shaun,
That is quite a collection. I'll have to go through it again. I believe most of them
are Studio painted. One is signed by a Stadden family member. I can't quite read
the first initial, D. Stadden is the daughter Diane, A. Stadden is the son Andy and
B. Stadden is the wife Betty. Generally worth more. All are listed in the catalog.
I can recognize some of the painters marks. Nice to know who signed, but outside
of the Stadden family doesn't add much value.

Later today or tomorrow I will go through again, and put the catalog/model number
in the comment section if photobucket will let me. Any other comments I'll send
privately. But whatever you do don't take any comments I make as 100%. A couple
of the figures you don't see very often. I have all of them, but one :smile2: All appear
to be in good condition. A couple appear to have parts reglued.

Some are not Studio painted, or perhaps were done by students in a learning process.
Especially the ones that are incomplete. It would be interesting to know what connection
the previous owner had to the Studio if any. Maybe he just bought some and tried his
hand at a few.

Your photos are certainly better than what I can do. Quite an effort on your part. Thanks.

Shaun,
That is quite a collection. I'll have to go through it again. I believe most of them
are Studio painted. One is signed by a Stadden family member. I can't quite read
the first initial, D. Stadden is the daughter Diane, A. Stadden is the son Andy and
B. Stadden is the wife Betty. Generally worth more. All are listed in the catalog.
I can recognize some of the painters marks. Nice to know who signed, but outside
of the Stadden family doesn't add much value.

Later today or tomorrow I will go through again, and put the catalog/model number
in the comment section if photobucket will let me. Any other comments I'll send
privately. But whatever you do don't take any comments I make as 100%. A couple
of the figures you don't see very often. I have all of them, but one :smile2: All appear
to be in good condition. A couple appear to have parts reglued.

Some are not Studio painted, or perhaps were done by students in a learning process.
Especially the ones that are incomplete. It would be interesting to know what connection
the previous owner had to the Studio if any. Maybe he just bought some and tried his
hand at a few.

Your photos are certainly better than what I can do. Quite an effort on your part. Thanks.

Hi BLReed,
the figure you saw with the signature is Betty Stadden signed B.Stadden. There are others signed CS, M and a couple of others I cannot make out.

Thank you for taking a look.

Kind Regards
Shozza69

I found this figure to be one of the best Studio creations by Charles Stadden; Flag Officer of the East Kent Regiment of Foot, circa 1811:
East Kent Regt of Foot -1811 (a).JPGEast Kent Regt of Foot -1811 (b).JPG

Looking for 54mm STADDEN and LASSET sets

Hi All,
I am looking for 54mm STADDEN and LASSET figures from the period late Victorian to WW2, in case you have or knows someone that has sets from these periods please advise me via a pvt note. I would be interested in purchasing them.
Best Regards,

Luiz aka Artillery_Crazy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back