State Elephant of Gwalior (1 Viewer)

zblang

1st Lieutenant
I just added my first Wm. Hocker Durbar figures. I have many Beau Geste and a few Britains. The scale is quite a bit smaller than Beau Geste. I am a huge Beau Geste fan and still think they are the best Durbar pieces around, but this is a fun little set. Hard to really compare as this set was over 1/3 the price of the Beau Geste.

State%20Elephant%20of%20Gwalior-Wm.%20Hocker-142%20img1-XL.jpg

State%20Elephant%20of%20Gwalior-Wm.%20Hocker-142%20img2-XL.jpg

Apart from different style and scale, Hocker's figures are also a different Durbar. If memory serves me right, there were three. Ana's is the one from 1903.

Hi Zach and Andreas,

Zach: Congratulations for discovering the fine line of Mr. Hocker's Imperial Durbar. I hope you continue to collect the series. One of the advantages of collecting Hocker's Durbar line is the fact that with patience and careful management of one's budget, with one exception, it is reasonably possible to complete the series. The exception is Hocker Set #128, the Imperial Durbar Pavilion. The Pavilion is out of production and difficult to find. If you find it, you will need to be prepared to pay a premium to obtain it. Good hunting if you decide to search for the Pavilion. In the meantime, enjoy Mr. Hocker's Imperial Durbar sets and figures to the max.

Andreas: You are correct. The Hocker series presents the 1877 Durbar, Queen Victoria's Durbar. The W. Britain, the Beau Geste and the Marlborough Durbar figures present the 1903 Durbar, Edward VII's Durbar. Both the Beau Geste and Marlborough lines are much more extensive than the Hocker series and, consequently, much more difficult and expensive to complete. Also, the style and scale of the Beau Geste and Marlborough figures differs from Mr. Hocker's traditional style. The 1911 Durbar commemorated the coronation of George V and was the last of the great Durbars. To the best of my knowledge, no manufacturer has chosen to create an extensive line of the 1911 Durbar. However, several manufacturers have produced a small number of figures for the 1911 Durbar (Hiriart, Asset, etc.). Consequently, the 1911 Durbar is somewhat neglected by toy soldier artists and manufacturers.

The Durbars were tremendous events in which the riches of India and the power and influence of the British Empire were featured. In my opinion, if one enjoys the splendor of huge ceremonial events, the Durbars are a collector's dream.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back