Storage of KC Boxes (2 Viewers)

Sniper73

Hi guys,

I have what might be a dumb question, but I thought that I would ask just to see what the experts think.

I need to store my KC boxes so I was going to put them all in a large box that I have and place that in the attic of my house. They will be dry and out of direct light, but the temperature changes can be quite extreme as in 0-120 F depending on the month. Would this be a major problem? I didn't think it would since they'll be shielded from water and light, but I figured that I would check. I'd hate to ruin the boxes unknowningly.

Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill I have always had the best luck storing things in as constant an enviroment as possible. Try and avoid differences in temperature, humidity, sunlight because you never know what it will do. I had a Hess Training Van ruined by simple daylight. Not direct sunlight, or extreme temperature. It sat in a glass showcase in my darkened den with a constant 74% temperature. One day I was moving things around and I noticed it had completly yellowed. I also had a Solido Hanomags plastic wheels completly melt into a mass of goo. This also happened in a glass showcase in a darkened room.
Boxes tend to absorb moisture when subjected to extremes in temperature and can warp. So find a nice closet or area that stays fairly constant and hope for the best.
Njja

Thanks for the tip Njja. Hopefully, I'll be able to find some closet space if I do some reshuffling. That was the reason for needing to move the boxes up into the attic.

Bill

I think you will find that the inner foam will be damaged if left in a non controlled temperature area. It tends to crumble and fall apart. The outer box will also absorb moisture as previously stated and warp so be careful.

Bill

I store a lot of collectibles in those cedar lined storage chests you can buy at WalMart. They protect the boxes from damage and light, and do not look bad sitting in the closet.

I'll have to go and look for those lined boxes. That sounds like a good idea.

Again, I appreciate the advice, however as the collection grows, I'm going to need a room to store the boxes in too!

Bill

All this talk is making me nervous of the K&C boxes I have in the attic. I just simply have no where else to put them. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back